• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Crafter and Artists Sticky Thread

eefb0ef1c9ccf64db4cc3ba42c91bd0b.jpg

New edition added to my Etsy shop @ AuroraHQ [emoji18] thought I'd share them with you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff, there are some talented rabbits among us :)

I´m curious, artists and ´craftists´, do you use etsy or have your own website? And are sales a(n extra) motivation for your work?

Rabbits done!

[pic]

In the rabbit shed (of course)

[pic]

Fox started
Fox (art) also in the rabbit shed later? ;P

I´m curious, artists and ´craftists´, do you use etsy or have your own website? And are sales a(n extra) motivation for your work?
Do it for my own pleasure mostly, even the pictures and things, although I do make cards and do presents, but they're presents, not for sale. Though I have painted other people's models for money (or expenses at least), but again I wouldn't do it if I didn't like it, and I presume they wouldn't ask if they didn't like my painting style.

I have my own website but i don't sell on it, its mostly to have all my works in one place and i can see my own progression and help others. At the moment i only sell to a few people who have seen me working on a piece or ask for a commission piece. One day i may sell more but they take me so long to do and i enjoy it so much i dont want to make it a chore.

I will say having someone pay me does help motivate me as someone is willing to pay for my work. I always struggle to price pieces however.

Fox (art) also in the rabbit shed later? ;P

Do it for my own pleasure mostly, even the pictures and things, although I do make cards and do presents, but they're presents, not for sale. Though I have painted other people's models for money (or expenses at least), but again I wouldn't do it if I didn't like it, and I presume they wouldn't ask if they didn't like my painting style.

I get so attached to my newest pieces, completely loving this fox! He wont be in the rabbit shed, he already has a home :)

I have my own website but i don't sell on it, its mostly to have all my works in one place and i can see my own progression and help others. At the moment i only sell to a few people who have seen me working on a piece or ask for a commission piece. One day i may sell more but they take me so long to do and i enjoy it so much i dont want to make it a chore.

I will say having someone pay me does help motivate me as someone is willing to pay for my work. I always struggle to price pieces however.

A friend of mine started selling her stuff on Etsy, I imagine it´s a pretty scary thing to do. To transition from having a website and making something on commision every once in a while, to a full-on ecommerce website.

She decided on Etsy, but strongly considered alternatives, one of which I´d like to recommend here for anyone who is thinking of setting up shop so to speak. But it helps when you keep reminding yourself that you can still just be relaxed about it. Just because you can sell stuff doesn´t mean all of a sudden you have to. At least, that´s how it worked for her.

I use etsy because it's so incredibly easy and reaches a lot of people, for me the sales are great motivation. I can make things without filling my house up with "rubbish" and I don't have to worry about the material costs involved with trying things because it's all paying for itself. The way etsy operates is quite motivational too, there are always helpful articles and you can track your views etc to see how things are going.

I haven't felt much like doing anything lately because I've been really down and spending a lot of time with people, but I've had to do some commissions because they're bought and paid for. It's good in that I feel better having achieved something, but it's not nice to have things hanging over you that you don't want to do.
The nice thing if you don't do custom items is you can just do what you feel like in your own time. I haven't really been replacing sold stock in my shop and there's no pressure to do so. With Christmas coming up I do need to get my rear in gear though, I'll regret the missed opportunity if I don't have plenty of stock.

Thx BattleKat,

I completely understand your reasoning. Good luck with the work for christmas. Tis the season to be j̶o̶l̶l̶y̶ productive, isn´t it :)

We have a page on FB, really ours is mainly an overspill of our hobbies, we do get custom orders in which is lovely as it can be things you wouldn't always think of doing.

I do craft swaps too, recently Joey & Boo and I have done this although she is still waiting for my items as my sewing machine died (it's back tomorrow yippee)

I can't decide whether to do specific Christmas items or not, we have some pretty Christmas charm bracelets made, I'm thinking Christmas themed tote bags?!

Remember that Daemon photo I promised AGES ago?

12108962_10101752948331288_9038528048796960930_n.jpg

It's the best model I've painted so far, partly because it's the most recent. All on a black undercoat, painted with various different brands of acrylic paint. He's called Tzouyemytel'niksen, or Tzouye for short :) He's a metal Games Workshop Balrog with the plastic wings: his head is the plastic Games Workshop Flamespire Phoenix head. The flames in his right hand (which you can see in the pictures below) are greenstuff (a type of soft two-part epoxy resin), replacing the sword (which we've retained as it looks cool).

The above picture was taken a few minutes ago at Uni (I'm running a painting taster and he's a good example); the below during the painting process.

Here he is pre-undercoat: you can see the greenstuff work I've done on him, and also where I've stripped the paint from him (mostly), using Fairy Power Spray :)

12107854_10101752983875058_5793585472014560331_n.jpg

Here he is on the first main paint layer:

12106824_10101752984199408_5818698743076826606_n.jpg

And part-way through:

12108261_10101752986350098_322807711569592488_n.jpg

And finally the other side of him finished some months ago (probably over a year now!):

12105725_10101752987258278_841482993072892716_n.jpg

The colour in the first one is brilliant KettleZees (this is how I read your username in my head :lol: )

Oh wow! It looks really really good at every stage, the finished piece is fantastic!

I did a bracelet for the first time last week - quite pleased with how it came out. I cooled the charm on top of a loo roll tube so that it would fit the shape of a wrist better and it's frosted shrinky dink so if it flips over you can still see the rabbit instead of a plain white back.
Here's a photo the receiver took for me
12105708_10153644211126064_6506902419771335029_n.jpg

Thanks everyone :)

KettleZees (this is how I read your username in my head :lol: )
I've had a few people simply call me Kettles :)

BattleKat, I love it! You've captured the laid-back-ness just right, but without the 'WTH are you taking a picture of me for?!' stare :lol: I really like it! Also, loo roll;: inspired!

Super slow progress .....

I love my cushion Kara, i will definitely like to order a few bigger ones soon. :)

I have such great respect for people who do careful and slow work, I'm far too impatient and make too many mistakes to even entertain the thought!

very cute! Do smaller pieces take less time or is it slower work?

I made a sugar glider necklace a while ago :D:
il_570xN.818861332_9url.jpg

That took me about two hours yesterday morning, it is quicker as i dont have to worry about individual hairs and i can get away with just shading. But its more fiddly.

Love the necklace. How do you mount them? I can imagine they are fiddly to cut too!

The hand made hand is great too. Its amazing how much people use technology in place in actual art and craft. Its a shame. Someone was talking to me about my work the other week and was convinced it was printed on. I wasn't sure if i should have been insulted or not.

Two hours sounds impressive - did it take you long to learn how to do this stuff?

I make mount fixings out of clear shrinky dinks and glue them to the back - it's a real pain but I think it looks nicer than punching a hole in the pendant.

You can see a little better on my ferret necklace:
il_570xN.809002574_iyzf.jpg

I had 8 orders to do yesterday and only managed to do four of them (with breaks!) and a bunch of fixings because my hand was hurting so much - the cutting is definitely the worst bit!

The hand made charms are really cute - I found them when I was looking for "hand made" stickers. You get about 50 for £1 and I think they're a nice touch, especially at Christmas as they let the recipient of a gift know that it's that little bit extra special.

I'd consider it a compliment if someone thought my work was made by a machine! You obviously work to a very professional standard :thumb:

Back