• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Crafter and Artists Sticky Thread

oh, does anyone know anything about kilns? I'd really like to do some proper clay work as air dry is too fragile but I don't know where to start.

Two hours sounds impressive - did it take you long to learn how to do this stuff?

I make mount fixings out of clear shrinky dinks and glue them to the back - it's a real pain but I think it looks nicer than punching a hole in the pendant.

You can see a little better on my ferret necklace:
il_570xN.809002574_iyzf.jpg

I had 8 orders to do yesterday and only managed to do four of them (with breaks!) and a bunch of fixings because my hand was hurting so much - the cutting is definitely the worst bit!

The hand made charms are really cute - I found them when I was looking for "hand made" stickers. You get about 50 for £1 and I think they're a nice touch, especially at Christmas as they let the recipient of a gift know that it's that little bit extra special.

I'd consider it a compliment if someone thought my work was made by a machine! You obviously work to a very professional standard :thumb:

Never heard of shrinky dinks to be honest. I had to google it lol. I agree it looks much nicer than a hole would.

How long does each one take you?

I have been wood burning since 2013. But i have done less than 10 projects. There is still a lot i need to learn but i learn more by doing and making my own mistakes. You should see my first project :lol:. There are some really amazing artists out there.

It depends on what I'm drawing, I spent 45 minutes colouring a bulldog earlier and there's still cutting out, shrinking, sealing and attaching the chain to do(!) but I coloured and cut out two robins in about half an hour yesterday so it's quite varied.

They're a lot of fun if you like drawing, you can get a little pack for about £2 so it's worth a go!

Have you got photos of your first project? I'd genuinely love to see!

Bet the Christmas robins are cute.
Funnily enough i don't actually have the patience for drawing at all. I like to add a little colour to my work but not alot. I use the prismacolour pencils.
If you ever get the chance you should try pyrography too!

Technically this is the first one i ever did

But i call this one my first project as its bigger. It still makes me laugh.

I soon learnt pine was not a good choice as it so soft and burns through really easily. And the burner i had only had two settings hot or really hot.
I have now got two more burners.

This was my first project on birch with a new burner.

Your turn :D

I remember doing pyrography at school, nothing like that though, could barely write a a name neatly!! Must be a lovely medium to work with.

Waiting for this to dry so I can get it off the blocking wires. Turns out I have no patience!

image_medium2.jpeg

I realised I never shared the sketches I did after James left last year. I never got anywhere with doing anything with them (partly because I misplaced my paints!) but I have a couple scanned. Must get back to it!

12a5e2b11f765e24ff4ce13a8c5f95fd.jpg

45793c471d8befc7bff763a5286b3d1e.jpg

440d3f69e6da6bdcd2959f5e5b353aac.jpg

Love the animals, and the mermaids too! I've tried mermaids, but they never come out the way I want them to. Yours are fab!

I've not had much time for doing different stuff lately - am non-stop with commissions for pet signs at the moment (not complaining though!)

I've had these box frames on the back boiler for ages, but finally got one finished today - will try and edit the pic so that it hasn't got the price etc on and just shows the artwork (but photobucket is taking ages for loading anything at the moment so will put this one up for now)

Very cute! Are you planning to do different colours and things?
Glad to hear you're busy with signs, I've seen several on Facebook recently and people are always commenting to ask about them. :)
I finally had some of my designs printed on to wood which cost me £80, and I haven't sold a thing since!

Looking forward to seeing the progress, how do you get the white bits?

Its just prismacolour pencils. Theres a little pink on the tongue too. It goes on pretty smooth as long as the wood is sanded to a fine grit.

Thank you Joey&Boo, glad you like it.

Very cute! Are you planning to do different colours and things?
Glad to hear you're busy with signs, I've seen several on Facebook recently and people are always commenting to ask about them. :)
I finally had some of my designs printed on to wood which cost me £80, and I haven't sold a thing since!

I'm just doing a few of the box frames, just so that I have a variety of stock in my shop - I'd like to do more, but my time is taken with commission work :)

Did I miss pics of your designs on wood? If not, can we see them? I bet they'll sell in the run up to Christmas :)

Back