Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 week old bunnies removed from mum

Young Bun

Default 5 week old bunnies removed from mum

I am picking up two 5 and a half week old buns tomorrow. The lady who bred them has rehomed their mum so I am getting them tomorrow. Will they be ok? I thought it was 8 weeks. They are eating well I have been informed. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

8 weeks would be better if they can stay with their mum longer. have you asked why they are leaving so young?

Foodwise I would find out what they are on and stick to that. They will need a lot as they are young and growing

Mama Doe

Definatly WAY to young, 8 weeks is the minimum for most people, but 10 week sor older is more ideal.....She doesn't sound like a good breeder, more like a fortune finder.....

Someone should help soon with advice on what to do, definatly get the babies though if you are willing to look after them properly they may need a little extra work though.

Wise Old Thumper

That sounds like a lady who doesn't give a flying about her animals

Ideally it's best not to remove them until they are 8 weeks, but they may be better off in your care given that they won't have mum wherever they are.
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Young Bun

She had quite a lot of rexes and bred all her does but then was suprised she couldn't sell them. She advertised them for money, which is when I bought and paid for one, then she advertised them for free so she said I could have a second for nothing.
    The mother has been rehomed as she wanted rid of them all. I jsut found out now the mother has gone.
    I am an experienced rabbit owner so am willing and able to care for them correctly, I just need a few pointers to enable me to do that. DH said they will be better with me if they are without their mother, bless them.
    I think there are 4 in total, I'm tempted to take all 4 and rehome 2 at a later date. Not sure if this is a good idea?
    Thank you for your help so far

Where are these rabbits?

Binky free Bridge bunnies Claude,Alfie,Lilac And Miffy and Vinnie,Never forgotten xxx

I saw the new year in on RU x

Young Bun

Near where I live in the south west.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRexBoy View Post
    She had quite a lot of rexes and bred all her does but then was suprised she couldn't sell them. She advertised them for money, which is when I bought and paid for one, then she advertised them for free so she said I could have a second for nothing.
    The mother has been rehomed as she wanted rid of them all. I jsut found out now the mother has gone.
    I am an experienced rabbit owner so am willing and able to care for them correctly, I just need a few pointers to enable me to do that. DH said they will be better with me if they are without their mother, bless them.
    I think there are 4 in total, I'm tempted to take all 4 and rehome 2 at a later date. Not sure if this is a good idea?
    Thank you for your help so far
    Personally I would take them all if I could for fear of what would happen to them if I didn't. Even if all I did was make sure they were well looked after until I could find them proper homes..

they will probably need supplementary feeding with a powdered cats milk and avipro mix - their stomachs will almost undoubtedly not be adapted to pellets etc - though hopefully she will have provided hay (though she sounds pretty awful so may not have done).
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

How sad Glad that someone who knows what they are doing will be caring for them.
    Laura x