Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with foster rabbit please!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitdan View Post
    nice car!
    Oops, hadnt noticed that. we treated ourselves to a 93 Porsche Boxster S. Worth less than the people carrier but a LOT more fun!

Hi! If you need help with anything, please send me, or one of the other forum buddies a message and we will do our best to help.

Wise Old Thumper

I was going to ask if they were widlie crosses but everything about them implies they are.

They are going to absolutely run you ragged, in a wonderful and crazy way.

I have very few suggestions but everything will need to be like Fort Knox (especially when they go to their new home because you clearly know what you're doing).
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Quote Originally Posted by aliduncan1 View Post
    Cardboard boxes last about an hour. I have put plastic edging along as many places as I can but they have now started on the flat walls too. They have a digging box full of hay, readigrass and pellets! I buy cheap willow plant pots for them on eBay because they are much better value than the toys designed for rabbits and I checked with the person who makes them that the willow is untreated.

These are the branches they have!

Gray, they are not supposed to be, they were an accidental litter from pet shop buns but I think there must be woodie there somewhere given their behaviour. I have dealt with chewing before but never on this scale!!!!

Thanks for all the replies folks. It's great to know I am not the only one with mega destructive rabbits! Now I need them to find a new home...SOON!
    They have characteristics of wildies - looking at their back legs, they appear slimmer and more streamlined, like the legs of a wildie, who needs immense speed off the mark, more so than a domestic rabbit.

That was why i asked - if they do have any Wildie in them, they are going to run you ragged!

Thanks guys, I already decided to tell the rescue that they were for an experienced home only. If they go to anyone who is nervous of them then they will wriggle, scratch and get loose and will end up back in the care of the rescue.

They are good to handle as long as you keep them feeling secure as you lift them and carry them. They will sit on my lap for ten to fifteen mins before getting wriggly and they happily let me clip or inspect their nails. I do this every morning as part of their routine!

They have tested me in all of my rabbit entertaining knowledge and made me come up with new ideas too! Like the shelf at an angle! It is unfortunate that the back garden doesn't have space for the run to be attached to the run all the time. I think it would make a big difference.

Hi! If you need help with anything, please send me, or one of the other forum buddies a message and we will do our best to help.

Warren Scout

can you make their runarea any larger? My pure wildie loved to have lots of space to run about in. She also chewed/dug her hutch to death before I got given her (was how she escaped).

You might want to try going to a Jewsons (sp?) and asking about their 6inch ground drainage piping. Ben and Jeri have a few length and love running through them and into the boxes we attach to the end. You could get a really long length (something like £1.50 +vat per metre or something like that... could get a really long length and cutin two to make 2 long tunnels that they can loop around in?

See about hitting the charity shops and look for any cheap wooden toys, or maybe buy some 3x3inch wood and get it cut into cubes for them to throw about and chew on instead of the hutch?

Maybe look into getting a low wooden box that you can ill with soil/hay for them to dig and chew to pieces?

I'd say getting the metal plastering brackets is an EXCELLENT idea! Stops the buns nibbing on the hutch. You can even get thin metal sheets and fix them to the hutch interior (or the very fine 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire mess can work too), to prevent them getting their teeth into the wooden body of the hutch.

Are they getting pellets or other additionals foods as well as access to grass? Maybe cut back a little on them to prevent them having such a mass of energy reserves? Bit like cutting oats out of horse's diet to stop it being full of beans!

Just trying to think of things I've used both now and in the past.