Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with foster rabbit please!

Default Help with foster rabbit please!

I have two 7 month old sisters as fosters at the moment. They have so much energy it's unbelievable. The rate they are chewing at I will have no hutch left to take on any more when they go because the hutch will be destroyed. I would appreciate it if you could look at the pics below and tell me what I could improve for them.

The run, time is split 50 50 between run and hutch.

The hutch. I used spares from the cat tree to make a new one for them after they chewed the last one to bits.

I have a couple more. Pics but can't add them from here. They also have two large branches to chew on.

Hi! If you need help with anything, please send me, or one of the other forum buddies a message and we will do our best to help.

They are beautiful! But very naughty!
    Sonny, our foster bunny, is a chewer as well and has nibbled his hutch.
    Have you tried cardboard boxes?
    He has a hay box and will 'decorate' it to his design! We also have a toy box for him, which is just a plastic box with willow sticks, wooden chew toys and those carrot things. He loves to tip it over empty it out. This gives him something to do, so he's less destructive of his hutch.
    Hope you get some good ideas.

Binky free Squidgy, Salt, Pepper, Ruby, Nougat, Patch, Bobby and Flopsy. Hope you are all having fun at the bridge.

My bunny Sherlock used to be a huge chewer - the only thing that I could do to reduce him chewing on his hutch was to buy him lots of chew toys - like sisal carrots, willow rings etc. the bigger the better.

Are they wildie x's Ali?

We have used metal plastering strips/corners to protect the hutch where possible. They are not expensive & available from most DIY stores.

Apart from that: As much time out as possible, lots to 'do' + stuff they can chew i.e. apple/pear sticks
    Run free Melody & Boysie, our ponies of over 20 years, our special bunnies Inca & Badger
    & also gorgeous Fidget the crazy cat, all taken to early. We will never forget you xxx

Mama Doe

Awww there gorgous, are they wildie x's? I found out last week my new boys a wildie x belguim hare and hes a ****** for chewing, hes chewed one of my bed legs were its so unstable, my wardbrobe, the walls and my floorboards have also had a good seeing too

I tend to give him lots of wooden bits he can chew and lots of pear and apple sticks, with his toys he ends up with cat and dog wooden bits and a couple of trunks of bunnysafe trees from my boss. I end up giving him different things every 3days to keep him abit more busy with his mind and they tend to last abit longer, so one day he will have a set of toys then the next they change then the next they change again then the next day he gets the same toys and day 1 etc. It seems to of slowed his chewing down abit more as its mainly exploring them again before the demolishing sets in.
    He also seems to be more inclined with things he can stand on and dig so he has a massive dig box thats really deep and it keeps him rather amused.

Rachel89 - what do you use for your digging box? I tried to provide one for my bunnies and they aren't interested so I think I've set it up wrong?

Cardboard boxes last about an hour. I have put plastic edging along as many places as I can but they have now started on the flat walls too. They have a digging box full of hay, readigrass and pellets! I buy cheap willow plant pots for them on eBay because they are much better value than the toys designed for rabbits and I checked with the person who makes them that the willow is untreated.

These are the branches they have!

Gray, they are not supposed to be, they were an accidental litter from pet shop buns but I think there must be woodie there somewhere given their behaviour. I have dealt with chewing before but never on this scale!!!!

Thanks for all the replies folks. It's great to know I am not the only one with mega destructive rabbits! Now I need them to find a new home...SOON!

Hi! If you need help with anything, please send me, or one of the other forum buddies a message and we will do our best to help.

I find it so amazing how you are determined to keep one step ahead of them! Just pop a fallen tree trunk in with them!
    Owner of 2 French Lops - Gloria & Mitchell

Rodge, Orla, Sookie & Peggy.......I hope you are enjoying bunny heaven. xxxx

nice car!