Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who have chose NOT to vaccinate

Warren Veteran

Default Those who have chose NOT to vaccinate

Has anyone on here choosen not to vacinate their buns

and why???

also are they single buns or groups etc?
    Emma x

9 Cats- Mr Tigs, Lola, Ruby, Darcy, Tubs, Thomas, Bear Bear, Minnie and Derek
    3 Rabbits- Daisy, Matilda and Grayson
    5 Chickens- Hetti, Martha, Gwendolyn, Dorris and Frieda
    6 Dogs- Two family Labradors- Poppy and Lily, and 3 pugzus Elsie, Dolly and Mabel and a blind pug called Wallis

Unless they have an illness/weak disposition stopping them being vaccinated (I know there are a fair few on here that might not survive the vaccs themselves) then I don't think there is any valid reason not to vaccinate them. The only reason I can think not to would be a selfish monetary reason.
    My blog, Howard's House

Wedding pictures!

My signature might stay as the above for the whole year...afterall...look at those faces...aren't they rather gorgeous? I think so! I might be a little eager with the ChirsMoose spirit...or perhaps just a little lazy in not bothering to change my signature pic. The choice is yours!

Wise Old Thumper xx-snowball-xx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTed View Post
    Unless they have an illness/weak disposition stopping them being vaccinated (I know there are a fair few on here that might not survive the vaccs themselves) then I don't think there is any valid reason not to vaccinate them. The only reason I can think not to would be a selfish monetary reason.
    Agreed.

Vaccination is so very important.
    If I couldn't afford vaccinations then I shouldn't have rabbits. It's that simple for me
    This year I am doing a 5k run to raise money for cancer research.
    Please take a look at my just giving page

www.justgiving.com/Steph-Munro

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTed View Post
    'My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.'

Binky free Sox, Jazzy, Lilah & Buttons. Gone but never forgotten xxxxxx

Warren Veteran

its not about not affording them

ive heard that buns who have HAD the jabs getting the actual illness

whereas buns that have never had vax, never getting ill :/
    Emma x

9 Cats- Mr Tigs, Lola, Ruby, Darcy, Tubs, Thomas, Bear Bear, Minnie and Derek
    3 Rabbits- Daisy, Matilda and Grayson
    5 Chickens- Hetti, Martha, Gwendolyn, Dorris and Frieda
    6 Dogs- Two family Labradors- Poppy and Lily, and 3 pugzus Elsie, Dolly and Mabel and a blind pug called Wallis

Wise Old Thumper

I chose not to vaccinate Badger when he was at his illest because I felt it would be detrimental to him. I chose not to vaccinate SwishWish while she was vulnerable, but now she is fully vaccinated.

Last week I got a bill for £345 for my July vaccinations (which is my cheap set 16 myxos and 3 VHDs- January is 16 myxos and 13 VHDs). That amount already put aside went on emergencies in July, so it's an ouch, but I would never not vaccinate a healthy rabbit. I would never want to be in a situation where one of my rabbits got ill and it was MY fault for not vaccinating.

I just ask what is best for my bunnies. For most, that is vaccinating, for the odd few, that is not vaccinating.
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by emmiiee View Post

You will get exceptions to every rule.

With Myxo, because the vaccine is not made from the actual illness, they can still catch Myxo, but when vaccinated, with a bit of luck, you can nurse them through it. That's exceptionally unlikely if they are not vaccinated.
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

ive heard that buns who have HAVE the jabs getting the actual illness

A bun who has been vaccinated against Myxi is likely to make a full recovery. A bun who hasn't been vaccinated against Myxi is almost certainly going to die....and it isn't pretty. I helped nurse a gorgeous boy who had full blown myxi. (He had the jab but developed no immunity) I can't get the image of how he was out of my head. It was heart breaking. Just as it looked as though he was making a slight recovery he died.
    It's NOT worth the risk!

If a bun is vaccinated against VHD then they won't get it, full stop!

Do you not vaccinate Emmie?
    My blog, Howard's House

Wedding pictures!

My signature might stay as the above for the whole year...afterall...look at those faces...aren't they rather gorgeous? I think so! I might be a little eager with the ChirsMoose spirit...or perhaps just a little lazy in not bothering to change my signature pic. The choice is yours!

Wise Old Thumper xx-snowball-xx's Avatar

It's not as simple as that.

Those who vaccinate are likely to be the people, like us, on rabbit forums. As such, we hear a lot more about the cases of vaccinated buns getting myxi.

I can't speak for buns that have never been vacc'd never getting ill because I haven't seen or heard of bunnies like that.

What I can say is that those that don't vaccinate and have rabbits in the bottom of the garden, how many of those unvaccinated rabbits do you think we will hear about that died of myxi or vhd? a very very very small proportion. because in general, those who don't vaccinate either because they don't know they need to or don't care enough to spend the money to vacc don't frequent forums like this, so we don't hear about them
    This year I am doing a 5k run to raise money for cancer research.
    Please take a look at my just giving page

www.justgiving.com/Steph-Munro

The way I see it is that I want the best chance of a long life for my bunnies... so in it's simplest form that means good diet, spaying/neutering, and vaccinating.

Plus, there's 6 months between each set of vaccinations so it's not like I don't have time to save up for them
    Mum to five lovely bunnies & two gorgeous doggies
    Sadly missing Benji, Peanut Butter, Bonnie, Cupcake, Noodles, Pud, Ted, Rufus, Albie and Pickle

Visit our etsy for dog bandanas! www.etsy.com/shop/ChloeSuzanneDesigns