Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babie update

Young Bun

Default Babie update

Hi, i just thought i'd give you all a quick update on my babies.

All 15 are still going strong and looking gorgeous.
    Can't believe there now 10 days old and i'm really looking forward to there eyes opening.

Whens safe to let my girls have a hold (after 10 days there getting a bit impatient lol)

Wise Old Thumper

I held my babies from day 2, provided that mum was comfortable with it. Just make sure that your hands smel of nothing strong (no predators, no other rabbits, nothing like soap) and stroke mum first. They will be very wriggly and have their jumping reflex. They won't be easy to hold, but if you make it a positive experience for them then they will likely grow up enjoying it and being exceptionally friendly and confident around people.

Their eyes will hopefully open in the next 4 days (but likely on day 11 or 12). They will likely open one side at a time. If a babies eyes have not opened by day 14 then you can apply a warm compress and see if that helps it come open itself (don't be tempted to 'assist' the eyes opening).

If the babies eyes don't open after a compress or if they open and then close, then you need to take the baby to see the vets.

Once all babies eyes are open you need to change the nest, saving as much as possible (especially the fur) so that they know where the nest is but removing anything soiled and doing this regularly. Conjunctivitis is common in kits so keeping the area as clean as possible is important.
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Young Bun

Tillys babies 9 days old

Daiseys babies 9 days old

Young Bun

Thank you Sky-O, all the advise is great and they seem to be doing so well.

Wise Old Thumper

Beautiful babies!

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

omg, sooooo cute!
    Guinea pig slave to - Lily and Piglet

Rabbits loved and missed - Bisc, Matt, Smudge and Patch
    Guinea pigs loved and missed - Popcorn, Mollie, Benjie, Eddie, Maisie and Chesney

Young Bun

Thank you, so are my girls okay to have a cuddle without putting them at risk.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilb View Post
    Thank you, so are my girls okay to have a cuddle without putting them at risk.
    We can't say definitively because it comes down to mummy bunny.

But from day 2 we would put the babies in a box and take them away from the nest for about 10 mins (just to give every kit a check over and nto disrupt mum too much) and our mummy bunny was awesome and fine.

I think, for young children (without knowing how old yours are) it would be better to have a quick stroke in the nest until the eyes are open. Purely because of the risk of a baby doing something silly because it can't see. As long as mum was ok with that obviously.

Generally, the sooner you handle the kits the better. It's generally mythical that the mum will reject the kits if you touch them. The only time it may happen would be in a very stressed and traumatised rabbit and even then it's not common.

Young Bun

My girls are 4, 5 and 12 but there very animal savvy as they've been brought up with animals of all kinds.

I think i'll give them a few more days lol just to be on the safe side.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilb View Post
    My girls are 4, 5 and 12 but there very animal savvy as they've been brought up with animals of all kinds.

I think i'll give them a few more days lol just to be on the safe side.
    It wasn't your children I was worried about, it was the unpredictability of the kits.