Thread: Insurances

Warren Scout

Default Insurances

Hi all, I have two bunnies both of them I have insurance that I have taken out with Pet Plan and was going to sign up with a vet where you pay x amount each month to get their injections done for the year plus you get teeth checks included with what you pay each month. I am actually starting to wonder if I would be better off just opening a savings acount as I would now be paying out over 30 per month and im just thinking if they need anything doing with their teeth or anything at all I dont have any spare money plus I still will have to come up with the excess money if something (hopefully doesnt) go wrong with them.xx

If I have a savings account there will always be money there for teeth checks, or if they do need anything. I am also eligible for the PDSA which if I did need to go to them obviously I would pay anything that I could towards any costs if my bunnies needed help?

Just wanted a few replies on peoples thoughts on if you think I should stay with Pet plan or go alone with a savings account??x

Do both. If you want to leave the insurance, start saving now and when you have a large amount saved up then you could quit the insurance and start saving the money instead. I would make sure you have MINIMUM 500 per bunny before you stop petplan though, preferably more.

I would also NEVER quit the insurance unless I had a regular income with a secure job. Because if one of the buns gets a long-term illness like arthiritus, snuffles, or has episodes of stasis, treatment is likely to be thousands over their life. Plus once they have an illness, if you went back on the insurance it would not be covered.

It's a huge gamble. I insured Artie 2.5 years ago then decided to cancel during the cooling off period as he wasn't insured for stasis anyway so I thought it would be better to put money away. Since then 2 years ago he needed bladder surgery 336, 3 weeks ago he had kidney surgery 844 and today he's having a kidney removed ?350 ish. Insurance would have been about 120 a year. However one of the other bunnies I didn't insure at the time (and is now insured) has never needed any treatment. If you can find the money in a crisis then no insurance may be a gamble that pays but if not .......
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

Warren Veteran

You should keep enough money set asside to cover the cost of the excess and probably a routine dental too but savings accounts don't work for chronic conditions. The money runs out and then you are stuffed.

If you can't afford to pay out 2k for vet treatment then you need insurance.
    Tim

Also, please bear in mind that with insurance you usually claim the money back after the treatment, so depending on your vet you may have to pay them before the insurance money comes through. So its important to make sure you have enough to cover the treatment at first, and of course the excess.

Warren Scout

thanks very much everyone, def something to think about.x