Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit toy making and enrichment activities.

Making a Bunny Toy 1 - Hanging Stuffed Toilet Roll

I made this a bit earlier today but have just seen on this thread its already been done by Blackberry & Co (Sorry Blackers I wasnt copying you honestly). Mine is slightly different in that it only has one hole.

Tie a knot in the end of a length of string

Make a slit or small hole in one side of a toilet tube

Poke the string in through the tube and up through the hole until it stops where the knot is.

Stuff with hay and hang!

Making a Bunny Toy 2 - Hanging Rabbit Mobile/Play Station

Warning: to prevent any accidents please ensure the string is tied on tightly and securely to each end, that it is at a height where the rabbit could not get caught in it, that it is where a person could not trip over it, and if in any doubt only use during supervised playtime.

This would work well in NIC cube set ups, indoor cages and large runs, where it can be placed at a height of around 1.5-2ft and at one end of the run (ie not where they will binky).

Tie a length of strong string from one side of the cage/run to the other side. Ensure you have tied it tightly and with minimal slack.

Add hanging toys on to it at intervals.

(Please excuse Muesli's puppy pads in these shots)

This is great for exercising bunnies' hind legs, as Muesli will demonstrate.

Short video:

Brown booted bunny,
    Such a brave and special girl,
    Never shared carrots

A haiku for beautiful Fay who went to the Bridge 29/02/2012

Helicopter eared
    Happy-go-lucky man loves
    Dancing for dinner

A haiku for handsome Kenco who went to the Bridge 26/12/12

Sleep tight my handsome prince Starbuck and beautiful Dutch girlie Twinkle, we miss you all lots xxx

New Kit

Default Thanks tons!!

hey guys,

one of the posts that got me to this amazing forum was the toy making, i was worried that my little Tequila wasnt being entertained enough and went searching when i found this post with the toys, i made 2 of the toilet roll balls and filled them with some of her fav herbs and snax, 2 seconds after i hung the one in her space she attacked it in a playfull manor and bumped it with her head and just looked like she had a blast i took a little vid of her playing with it, can watch it here : http://youtu.be/zVQ_wWKaGjA
    she ended up getting the ball out of the string and then jus threw it around a bit and pawed at it i also made her one of the toiletroll thingies stuffed with some hay and some snax and she's been having fun with that aswell

So a big gigantic major THANKS from me and Tequila for the brilliant ideas!!!

just have one question that i'm a bit worried about, if she eats some of the cardboard is it very bad for her? should i keep a eye on her and as soon as the treats are finished then just take the ball back?

These are really great ideas in here! Thanks!!!

lovely ideas Dd has been making some cardboard tube treats this week for Joey. can you use egg boxes to hide treats and stuff with hay? or are they not good if eaten?

New Kit

here is an easy one

yo dont even need pictures

1. Unplug your charger so it doesn't electrocute your bun

2, place in middle of floor

Default easy tunnel from pop-up laundry basket

Here's a really easy and cheap way to create a tunnel for your buns

What you need:
    - pop-up net laundry basket (you can get these for a pound from poundland, the 99p store etc)
    - scissors
    - string

Instructions:
    - cut up your net so that it's one continous piece
    - cut off one of the panels, being careful not to leave any of the metal wire exposed and trying to keep the netting intact
    (yours won't be as raggedy as mine hopefully but we'd already used it for the rats so it's a bit of a mess)
    - shape it into a triangle and tie with string
    - ta da!

Ideas:
    - you could tie a bunch of these together to make a longer one
    - you could use all 4 panels depending on how large your bunny is
    - you could use a cylindrical pop-up laundry basket and cut out the bottom instead of faffing about

Default A simple cloth keeps my bun entertained for ages!

My bun loves to suck on a cloth - all that is needed is something soft, preferably with interesting smells. Keep you eye on your bun, don't want him eating it! Mine has never eaten/swallowed bits of cloth before, though

Quote Originally Posted by Dollie View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgnfEJSOBM

It's in Dutch but I think the video speaks for itself? If it doesn't, please tell me I'll translate
    What's the stuff you're tying it up with? Can I use string instead?

Easy one. All you need is a kitchen roll tube. Cut small holes at random along the length of the tube, stuff with hay, treats, fold both ends over and leave for bunnies to descend. It took my 2 days to solve this problem!

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

Sorry these pics are a bit blurry. Here are my bunnies playing with some homemade toys. The first one is Jack playing with a paper bag filled with hay and a few pellets. When the corner is nibbled, the goodies should fall out. The second is Daisy, trying to get the hay and pellets out of a toilet roll tube. She is ill at the moment so it's nice to see her interested in something.

This is a brilliant thread.