• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit toy making and enrichment activities.

Spiral cage chew

You will need
1 toilet roll tube
pair of scissors

1. From the bottom of the tube start cuting a spiral.
PICT0459.jpg

2. Tie one of the sides to the hutch cage.
PICT0460.jpg

Your bunny will enjoy pulling and chewing this toy !

Tree shaped Bunny chew Toy

You will need
1 toilet roll tube
pair of scissors
small handful of hay

1. Cut the toliet roll tube into slits about 3 quarters up the tube
PICT0462.jpg

2. Stuff the top wth a smalll handful of hay !
PICT0463.jpg

Hay Box and Chew Toy

You will need
2 cereal boxes
pair of scissors
Hay

1. Close all ends of both cereal boxes
PICT0464.jpg

2. cut out this shape onto on box -
PICT0465.jpg

3. This shape on the other box -
PICT0466.jpg

4. Fit box one into box two
PICT0467.jpg

5. Now stuff all the open holes full with hay !

Forage box:

You will need: A cardboard box, some grass or hay and your bunnies favourite forage.

Take the box
L1010766.jpg

And some grass, and mix the forage and grass together.

L1010767.jpg

Put said grass in box

L1010768.jpg

And let them nom!
:wave:

Hanging toy

You will need: Some string, carrot tops/twigs

Get some string and tie up the carrot tops with string.

Tie to the roof of your run, and let the nomming begin!

L1010750.jpg

Making a Bunny Toy 1 - Hanging Stuffed Toilet Roll

I made this a bit earlier today but have just seen on this thread its already been done by Blackberry & Co (Sorry Blackers I wasnt copying you honestly). Mine is slightly different in that it only has one hole.

Tie a knot in the end of a length of string

BunnyToysAug11071.jpg

Make a slit or small hole in one side of a toilet tube

BunnyToysAug11072.jpg

Poke the string in through the tube and up through the hole until it stops where the knot is.

BunnyToysAug11074.jpg

BunnyToysAug11075.jpg

Stuff with hay and hang!

BunnyToysAug11079.jpg

BunnyToysAug11090.jpg

Making a Bunny Toy 2 - Hanging Rabbit Mobile/Play Station

Warning: to prevent any accidents please ensure the string is tied on tightly and securely to each end, that it is at a height where the rabbit could not get caught in it, that it is where a person could not trip over it, and if in any doubt only use during supervised playtime.

This would work well in NIC cube set ups, indoor cages and large runs, where it can be placed at a height of around 1.5-2ft and at one end of the run (ie not where they will binky).

Tie a length of strong string from one side of the cage/run to the other side. Ensure you have tied it tightly and with minimal slack.

Add hanging toys on to it at intervals.

BunnyToysAug11083.jpg

(Please excuse Muesli's puppy pads in these shots)

This is great for exercising bunnies' hind legs, as Muesli will demonstrate.

BunnyToysAug11081.jpg

Short video:

Thanks tons!!

hey guys,

one of the posts that got me to this amazing forum was the toy making, i was worried that my little Tequila wasnt being entertained enough and went searching when i found this post with the toys, i made 2 of the toilet roll balls and filled them with some of her fav herbs and snax, 2 seconds after i hung the one in her space she attacked it in a playfull manor and bumped it with her head and just looked like she had a blast :lol: i took a little vid of her playing with it, can watch it here : http://youtu.be/zVQ_wWKaGjA
she ended up getting the ball out of the string and then jus threw it around a bit and pawed at it :D i also made her one of the toiletroll thingies stuffed with some hay and some snax and she's been having fun with that aswell :D

So a big gigantic major THANKS from me and Tequila for the brilliant ideas!!! :thumb:

just have one question that i'm a bit worried about, if she eats some of the cardboard is it very bad for her? should i keep a eye on her and as soon as the treats are finished then just take the ball back? :oops:

lovely ideas ;) Dd has been making some cardboard tube treats this week for Joey. can you use egg boxes to hide treats and stuff with hay? or are they not good if eaten?

easy tunnel from pop-up laundry basket

Here's a really easy and cheap way to create a tunnel for your buns :)

What you need:
- pop-up net laundry basket (you can get these for a pound from poundland, the 99p store etc)
- scissors
- string

Instructions:
- cut up your net so that it's one continous piece
- cut off one of the panels, being careful not to leave any of the metal wire exposed and trying to keep the netting intact
(yours won't be as raggedy as mine hopefully but we'd already used it for the rats so it's a bit of a mess)
- shape it into a triangle and tie with string
- ta da!

Ideas:
- you could tie a bunch of these together to make a longer one
- you could use all 4 panels depending on how large your bunny is
- you could use a cylindrical pop-up laundry basket and cut out the bottom instead of faffing about

May201216028.jpg

May201216029sm.jpg

May201216030cropsm.jpg

A simple cloth keeps my bun entertained for ages!

My bun loves to suck on a cloth - all that is needed is something soft, preferably with interesting smells. Keep you eye on your bun, don't want him eating it! Mine has never eaten/swallowed bits of cloth before, though ;)
Check Tesco Offers and Lidl Offers.

Easy one. All you need is a kitchen roll tube. Cut small holes at random along the length of the tube, stuff with hay, treats, fold both ends over and leave for bunnies to descend. It took my 2 days to solve this problem!

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

temporary_zps64ee69f9.jpg

temporary_zps1b811815.jpg

Sorry these pics are a bit blurry. Here are my bunnies playing with some homemade toys. The first one is Jack playing with a paper bag filled with hay and a few pellets. When the corner is nibbled, the goodies should fall out. The second is Daisy, trying to get the hay and pellets out of a toilet roll tube. She is ill at the moment so it's nice to see her interested in something.

This is a brilliant thread.

Back