Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Plant Images

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    I have plantain growing near me but I notice the advice is not to feed dry, can someone let me know exactly what this means please? I think it means only give when freshly picked but just want to double check.
    I feed it dry regularly so I'm not sure. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HECTOR!!

I have plantain growing near me but I notice the advice is not to feed dry, can someone let me know exactly what this means please? I think it means only give when freshly picked but just want to double check.
    I think it's just the flowers and seeds you shouldn't feed dry, the leaves are fine fresh or dried

Excellent thread
    I have at least three of the edible plants that I didn't realise in my garden, but also have two of the poisonious ones
    Last edited by tabithakat64; 30-05-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Bunny mum to rescue rabbits Cinna, Katniss, Prim, Haymitch, Rocket, Pepper, Nimra, Ollie, Ash, Willow, Clegg, Cloud, Belle and Ruben
    Binky free at the bridge Claudia, Rose, Shadow, Blue, Donut, Kylie boops, Desbun & Nemo. Miss you so much
    Manager at Rabbit Residence Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by SJH View Post
    I feed it dry regularly so I'm not sure. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by elmoandfern View Post
    I think it's just the flowers and seeds you shouldn't feed dry, the leaves are fine fresh or dried
    Thank you both and another question I'm afraid, how do you dry them? I pick daily and throw out any not used at night as never thought of drying leaves myself.

Thank you both and another question I'm afraid, how do you dry them? I pick daily and throw out any not used at night as never thought of drying leaves myself.
    i lay them in an underbed storage box covered in a layer of newspaper then into a dark, dry cupboard

they will also keep for a few days in the fridge to save you throwing them out!!

Wise Old Thumper

Hi I haven't checked back. My own advice is that dry is fine it's fresh that has a potential problem. The veins are very long & stringy in larger plantains, so they're difficult to chew when fresh like celery. I'd cut up fresh into smaller pieces so they can't get long stringy bits inside. Dry is fine because the veins are brittle & can be chewed easily.

Elmo and Thumps, many thanks. I'll go out later to pick some things and I already have storage boxes so will give it a try.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by elmoandfern View Post
    You're absolutely right. Thank you for reminding us. Yes, the dry seeds swell up like wall paper paste when ground down. - poor bunny tummy

Warren Veteran

This is such a useful thread. I've just discovered I have some herb Robert growing in an old plant pot.

HECTOR!!

Herb Robert's like poor-man's shamrock and just as prolific: I'll try Lopsy on it later today as we have loads in Nottingham!

I'll try and add some pictures of things I've got which are bunny-safe or not: we're quite keen gardeners (well, I like the garden and the other half likes to tidy...) so we've quite a lot of things. Jerusalem artichoke foxed me for 2 years until other half dug some up by accident! Incidentally, they're yummy roasted with a bit of butter >D