• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Babie update

Aprilb

Young Bun
Hi, i just thought i'd give you all a quick update on my babies.

All 15 are still going strong and looking gorgeous:D.
Can't believe there now 10 days old and i'm really looking forward to there eyes opening.

Whens safe to let my girls have a hold (after 10 days there getting a bit impatient lol)

I held my babies from day 2, provided that mum was comfortable with it. Just make sure that your hands smel of nothing strong (no predators, no other rabbits, nothing like soap) and stroke mum first. They will be very wriggly and have their jumping reflex. They won't be easy to hold, but if you make it a positive experience for them then they will likely grow up enjoying it and being exceptionally friendly and confident around people.

Their eyes will hopefully open in the next 4 days (but likely on day 11 or 12). They will likely open one side at a time. If a babies eyes have not opened by day 14 then you can apply a warm compress and see if that helps it come open itself (don't be tempted to 'assist' the eyes opening).

If the babies eyes don't open after a compress or if they open and then close, then you need to take the baby to see the vets.

Once all babies eyes are open you need to change the nest, saving as much as possible (especially the fur) so that they know where the nest is but removing anything soiled and doing this regularly. Conjunctivitis is common in kits so keeping the area as clean as possible is important.

P1020734.jpg

Tillys babies 9 days old

P1020741.jpg

P1020742.jpg

Daiseys babies 9 days old

Thank you, so are my girls okay to have a cuddle without putting them at risk.

We can't say definitively because it comes down to mummy bunny.

But from day 2 we would put the babies in a box and take them away from the nest for about 10 mins (just to give every kit a check over and nto disrupt mum too much) and our mummy bunny was awesome and fine.

I think, for young children (without knowing how old yours are) it would be better to have a quick stroke in the nest until the eyes are open. Purely because of the risk of a baby doing something silly because it can't see. As long as mum was ok with that obviously.

Generally, the sooner you handle the kits the better. It's generally mythical that the mum will reject the kits if you touch them. The only time it may happen would be in a very stressed and traumatised rabbit and even then it's not common.

My girls are 4, 5 and 12 but there very animal savvy as they've been brought up with animals of all kinds.

I think i'll give them a few more days lol just to be on the safe side.

My girls are 4, 5 and 12 but there very animal savvy as they've been brought up with animals of all kinds.

I think i'll give them a few more days lol just to be on the safe side.

It wasn't your children I was worried about, it was the unpredictability of the kits. :)

I looked for my baby fix this morning. There wasn't one! glad I've got it by the end of the day though. :lol:

Glad they are doing well :)

Only 2 left to open there eyes now so fingers crossed they'll have them open tomorrow :D. There just the cutest things ever.

I'll take more pics tomorrow and put them on, they loo so lovely with there eyes open.

*big grins* BABIES!

Not sure if i've already said, but now their eyes are open you need to clean the nest to do your best to protect them against conjunctivitis.

You need to save as much nest as possible and only remove the soiled stuff. the best way to do it might be to make a temp nest in a shoebox (or similar), with loads of hay, then transfer the saveable part of the nest into there, and then transfer the babies into there. Then change the real nest and remove all soiled materials. Replace with loads of hay, then move the saveable parts of the original nest back, and then finally the babies.

Back