• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would it be a good idea to have a thread (hay bales)

xx-snowball-xx

Wise Old Thumper
dedicated to hay locations?
as in, where people buy their bales of hay?

obviously, it wouldn't be good for everyone to write it directly on the thread (being a public forum, the place you buy your hay is a good indicator of where you live)

but the question comes up a lot, so maybe if people could pm where they buy their hay, and then i could put it all on a list by county or something?

then it would be a nice quick reference for people to see if there is somewhere in their area?

Scotland
Drum Feeds, 684 Old Dalkeith Road, EH22 1RR Edinburgh
Russell’s Country Store Ltd Larbert Mill Stirling Road Larbert FK5 3NH

North East
The Blue Barn, Otley, http://www.thebluebarn.co.uk/ West Yorkshire
Burnhill Feeds & Equestrian, Middleton Business Park, Cartwright Street, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire BD19 5LY
All Four's Pet Supplies, The Old Drill Hall, Ackroyd Street, Morley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS27 8PZ
HolidaHutches, 35 Margaret Rd, Darfield, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S73 9QF
07952 409 933
The Mile Farm Shop, Pocklington, York
Wyke Animal Feeds Peartree Works, Huddersfield Rd, Bradford BD12 8HT 01274 607 848

North West
Wheelock Farm, Cheshire, Wheelock, Sandbach, CW114RE
Ringwood Fencing Tarvin, Chester
W & T Gibson Kingsley, Runcorn
Croft Equestrian Wigan http://www.croftequestrian.co.uk
Hallwoods Feed Store Ledsham Wirral http://www.hallwoodfeedstore.com (call first to check stock)
Larton Livery wirral http://www.lartonlivery.com

East Midlands
Hunters Farm Shop, Milton Keynes
Claybrooke Animal Feeds Ltd, Grange Farm, Frolesworth Lane, Claybrooke Magna, Leicestershire, LE17 5DA, 01455 202757
Cook's Farm Shop, Lane End Farm, Markfield Lane, Newtown Linford, Leicestershire, LE6 OAB 01530 242214
Marrowell Farm, West Hadden, Northamptonshire
Martins Farm, Calverton, Nottingham
Gorse Hill City Farm Anstey Lane Leicester LE4 0FJ

Bletsoe-Brown, Home Farm, Sywell, Northamptonshire
Collins Pet Foods, Hardingstone, Northamptonshire

West Midlands
Thameside Farm, Elmbridge, Worcestershire
Croft Farm in Shenstone, Staffordshire
Mitchells Craft Centre, Sutton

Wales
Blawd Ac Ati, Rhedynog Isaf, Chwilog, Pwllheli, Gwynedd. LL53 6LQ Telephone: 01766 810387
Farm and Pet Place branches in Mold, Conwy, Wrexham http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/search-results?searchvalue=hay

South
Shedfield Equestrian Supplies, Shedfield http://www.shedfieldnurseryandequestrian.co.uk/ Hampshire
Park Farm, Rectory Road, Oakley, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG23 7ED
Shapley Ranch Feeds, London Road (A30) Phoenix Green, Hartley, Wintney, RG27 8HY
Hampshire Saddlery, Botley Mills, Botley, Southampton, Hampshire, SO30 2GB
GF Smith, Maple Farm, Botley Road, Curdridge, Southampton, Hampshire, SO32 2DU
Pecks Farm Shop Stockwell Farm, Eggington Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 9PA

South East
Frogpool Manor, Speedgate Enterprises Limited, Perry Street, Chislehurst, Kent BR7 6HA
Frosburys Ltd, Frosbury Farm, Gravetts Lane, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 3JW, 01483 232294

Advice from Sky-O
For those who do need bales bt don't know where to go, you can have bales that are edible to horses, but not cows. You can google for places that sell horse stuff and call them up and find out if they sell bales of hay. That's how I found the places I use. Nommy stuff too apparently

Also, if you go onto ebay, type in "hay bale" then sort by location, you may find somewhere that sells them close by. Many advertise them on ebay as pick up only, cash on collection :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No i wouldnt tell anyone where i got my hay from, not unless they were close friends. Theres always a hay shortage, i dont want other people buying it all! :oops:

No I dont want anyone buying it all up :p

Have you still got plenty?

:lol::lol::lol:
fair enough, i didn't think of that ;)

Yeah I have thanks :) me and chul went and got a bale from stockley farm and split it :)

there is a garden centre closer that does it, but no way were we paying £10 for a bale :lol:

£10 a bale is a LOT :shock:

the lady that owns Chester has just bought 100 bales so I should be able to nick a few for next month :D

£10 a bale is a LOT :shock:

the lady that owns Chester has just bought 100 bales so I should be able to nick a few for next month :D

I almost choked on the phone when he said it, only just managed to hang up without laughing :lol: from stockley it was only £5.99 for a bale, so not too bad. I hope they get 2011 bales in by next time though because it was quite dry - the leftover stuff I had from asda was actually more green than the bale hay :shock::lol:
bunnies don't seem to care though :D

Oooh excellent, that will be good for you, because you go through a lot of hay don't you

we get ours from drum feeds @ 684 Old Dalkeith Road, EH22 1RR Edinburgh

£6.50 a bale and the lady said they never run out as the supplier brings a van load when needed :D if you don't drive and are close enough (not sure of the radius) they charge £15 delivery.

I would find it helpful :wave: have I have no idea where to get a bale from in Lincolnshire :lol:
We found one place when we were randomly driving home, there was a sign outside a farm. Maybe the next time you are in a car you could keep an eye out?

we get ours from drum feeds @ 684 Old Dalkeith Road, EH22 1RR Edinburgh

£6.50 a bale and the lady said they never run out as the supplier brings a van load when needed :D if you don't drive and are close enough (not sure of the radius) they charge £15 delivery.
thank you, that's great :)

this would be helpful!
if people did say where they got it from, i understand 'shortage in hay' and everything, but i still think it's daft not telling someone to help people out:lol:

bella and jasper will only eat alfafa kings timothy hay and its £8.99 for 1.8kg bag :? is that expensive????

this would be helpful!
if people did say where they got it from, i understand 'shortage in hay' and everything, but i still think it's daft not telling someone to help people out:lol:

I can see why they wouldn't. Some members go through a bale a week etc, so running out of hay would really affect them. Can you imagine the price of buying the equivalent of a bale from the local shop?

Me it wouldn't really affect, a bale lasts me around 3 months, so it's not really a big deal for me.

But some people rely heavily on bales and would struggle if their source ran out :wave:

Lincolnshire? You shouldnt have any trouble! Its everywhere!

:lol: But I can't just grab some hay and leg it. I've tried interweb searching and haven't passed any signs or anything in my area

Also I know Timothy hay is supposed to be the best. But I've been feeding Pierre on local meadow hay and his poo's have never been so golden.

bella and jasper will only eat alfafa kings timothy hay and its £8.99 for 1.8kg bag :? is that expensive????

I'd say that's quite expensive, but I'm not sure, my timothy hay I got is a different brand, so it might be a "cheaper" hay if you see what I mean.
I bought a bag of timothy hay from wilkinsons, it's a 1kg bag and it cost £2.20

:lol: But I can't just grab some hay and leg it. I've tried interweb searching and haven't passed any signs or anything in my area

Also I know Timothy hay is supposed to be the best. But I've been feeding Pierre on local meadow hay and his poo's have never been so golden.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Even if it's by pm so no-one else knows ;)

I can see why they wouldn't. Some members go through a bale a week etc, so running out of hay would really affect them. Can you imagine the price of buying the equivalent of a bale from the local shop?

Me it wouldn't really affect, a bale lasts me around 3 months, so it's not really a big deal for me.

But some people rely heavily on bales and would struggle if their source ran out :wave:

true, i mean i have 5 and i usually order from hayforpets and that lasts me a month, so finding somewhere that sells bales would be helpful.. but id guess if these places got more customers for the bales they woukl just make sure they got more in?:?

Back