• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with Babies plz

Aprilb

Young Bun
Hi, i'm not a breeder and never wanted to be a breeder but long story short one of my boys found his way into my 2 girls (no we didn't put him there breeding was never intended) so we seperated the girls the other day just in case and checked them yesterday and both bave babies .

I have no idea what to do with baby rabbits and would appreciate any advice on looking after them.

When i went to check on them yesterday there was a baby outside on the slabs freezing so we brought him in warmed him through and after rubbing him in his mums fur we put him back as so far he's still in there.

As i said any advice would be appreciated. Do we check the nests or do we just leave them?

Firstly, well done for saving the kit :)

It's fine to touch the nests as long as mum is comfortable with it, just make sure you have nothing strong smelling on your hands, and stroke mum first. You will need to check them daily anyway to check there are no dead kits and all babies have been fed. You also need to check it now to ensure there are no placentas there.

You will need to check all babies have had their first feed, which normally occurs between 24-36 hours. If they have been fed then they will look like they swallowed a ping pong ball. If they don't look yet like they have been fed, then come back and ask for more advice. You've found yourself in a better situation than the average accidental litter receiver, because you have two does- so one can potentially foster, if necessary.

You will need to increase the mum's food until you are free feeding her by about day 4 (day 0 being the day the kits were born) to give her enough energy to produce all the milk she needs to.

Can't think what else you may need to know initially. Around 10 days you will need info about eye opening and suchlike but it might be worth asking for that then, so as not to overload you.

I was in a similar position after the rabbit I was looking after for a friend gave birth. Luckily she was a great mum and I didn't have to do much.

Hope it all goes ok and well done for rescuing the little one. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, both mums seem fine for me to be in the hutches but as yet i haven't really disturbed the nests too much and everytime i go in i rub my hands with there fur. The babies will be 2 days old today and when i looked in yesterday they all looked round and kinda shiny apart from the one i found out which was wrinkly.

I really appreciate the advice, i don't want too loose the babies :(

Should i check each baby for a placenta?

Sounds like both mum's are feeding, and hopefully this morning will have fed again (they normally feed at dawn or dusk, standing over the babies for about five minutes).

The placentas will be obvious if they are there (about the size of the babies heads and pretty minging) but mum should eat them, so it's just a precaution to check they aren't there because obviously you don't want them rotting in the nest.

:) Good luck.

I woudl also say don't go from one nest t the other straight away. Wash your hands and have a break in between- to minimise the risk of transferring the wrong smell.

:D all the babies are nice and plump and neither mum was bothered about me being in there, my french lop has 8 and my mini lop has 7.
There's nothing horrible attached to them and there all wiggling round like mad.

Can't seem to find a runt in either litter though :?

That all sounds very fantastic :)

Litters don't need a runt in them, they just sometimes have them.

Hopefully all will thrive :)

all babies still looking well this morning :D. I'm not coming round to the idea and turning into a very proud nanny lol

No advice, I just want to say how lovely it is that you are trying to save all the little ones and do the best by your buns.

I'd definitely recommend a neuter for the future :lol:

Day 4 and still 15 very wiggly plump bunnies, they seem to be staring to hop too? :?.and there starting to get fur :D. Ow so cute. I did try to put a pic on but haven't got a clue how too.

:D Awesome!

They will start to move about a bit more. You will also start to see their reflex, which is quite funny and clearly there to drive predators away- where basically they jump towards you (presumably to scare off a predator) and then recoil often looking confused. :lol:

:D Awesome!

They will start to move about a bit more. You will also start to see their reflex, which is quite funny and clearly there to drive predators away- where basically they jump towards you (presumably to scare off a predator) and then recoil often looking confused. :lol:

lol, i thought they were hopping

P1020680.jpg

Back