Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Useful Diet Thread

Thanks for these tips i always wanted to get the best diet for my pet but didn't know where to find this but with your help it's quite very easy for me now. Once again thanks from my pet he will be happy to eat this.
    Last edited by Nichole; 13-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Default Old Useful Diet Thread

Thanks for useful links.

I was reading the Link on Rabbit poop from Medi rabbit and i just wanted to add one thing

the ID Pic for Ingested fur or carpet doesnt mention that the stringing can come from not chewing grass properly and can be a sign of poor back teeth/molars. Which is what our Darcie has, he had the stringy poop and when it was pulled apart and we looked at it we found it was unchewed grass. Full grass leaves all weaved together to form an almost rope/string appearance. Just incase any one sees stringy poop to get back teeth checked also

Hi, I'm really, really new to rabbits as in I only properly became interested in having one as a pet today. I am aware hay is supposed to make up around 80% of their diet but I was wondering if there are any other options. Both my mother and I are heavily allergic to hay but not the rabbit itself. I could use paper as bedding instead because they'd be indoor bunnies and they could have grass, just not hay.
    Any help? I thought this might be the place to post this because it was relevant to nutrition and what not, sorry if it's not the right place.

many of us found this lovely forum through being new to bunnies too
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rex888 View Post
    Hi, I'm really, really new to rabbits as in I only properly became interested in having one as a pet today. I am aware hay is supposed to make up around 80% of their diet but I was wondering if there are any other options. Both my mother and I are heavily allergic to hay but not the rabbit itself. I could use paper as bedding instead because they'd be indoor bunnies and they could have grass, just not hay.
    Any help? I thought this might be the place to post this because it was relevant to nutrition and what not, sorry if it's not the right place.
    You will have problems feeding a rabbit eg during winter when grass is not available. They are designed to eat mainly grass, so hay is the ideal substitute. There are dust extracted hays available, if this makes a difference. Hay provides the fibre to keep their guts healthy and also helps to keep their constantly growing teeth worn down.

For indoor rabbits, there are alternative things you can use for bedding (eg vetbed, fleece), but that depends on the rabbit. Some will try to eat card, paper and fabric.

I would seriously reconsider having rabbits (they need company) as pets if you can't use hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    You will have problems feeding a rabbit eg during winter when grass is not available. They are designed to eat mainly grass, so hay is the ideal substitute. There are dust extracted hays available, if this makes a difference. Hay provides the fibre to keep their guts healthy and also helps to keep their constantly growing teeth worn down.

For indoor rabbits, there are alternative things you can use for bedding (eg vetbed, fleece), but that depends on the rabbit. Some will try to eat card, paper and fabric.

I would seriously reconsider having rabbits (they need company) as pets if you can't use hay.
    Cough, cough Rex88 made the post in 2015…..

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by Clair071085 View Post
    This is great . Just having a browse around the forum for advice as only had my bunny since may (her partner passed away) & a new bunny so want to get learning on everything. Thank you for this xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is a lot of great advice on here too

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    many of us found this lovely forum through being new to bunnies too
    Morning, yes it’s great, very glad I found it xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk