Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Is this timothy hay?

  1. #1
    Mama Doe KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    4,956

    Default Is this timothy hay?

    I bought Cookie new meadow grass hay. But on the package it says both meadow grass and timothy. Normally Turkey doesn't have timothy hay so I was surprised to see this post. But I don't know what timothy hay looks like. I am attaching the pictures, do you think this is timothy hay or meadow grass hay?

    https://imguh.com/image/k8JNh
    https://imguh.com/image/k8omR
    https://imguh.com/image/k8XT8
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    22,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    I bought Cookie new meadow grass hay. But on the package it says both meadow grass and timothy. Normally Turkey doesn't have timothy hay so I was surprised to see this post. But I don't know what timothy hay looks like. I am attaching the pictures, do you think this is timothy hay or meadow grass hay?

    https://imguh.com/image/k8JNh
    https://imguh.com/image/k8omR
    https://imguh.com/image/k8XT8
    It's difficult to tell really. To me it certainly looks more like Timothy than Meadow Grass, as it looks stalky. Our Timothy would usually have seed heads on it, but that will depend on when it's cut. The seed heads are good for identification. It certainly looks a reasonable hay to feed to a rabbit.

    It certainly says Timothy on the packet. I don't see Meadow Grass written there, but presumably it's in Turkish?

  3. #3
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    21,211

    Default

    Tricky! Manufacturer says its meadow hay.. Confusing!

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Mama Doe KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    It's difficult to tell really. To me it certainly looks more like Timothy than Meadow Grass, as it looks stalky. Our Timothy would usually have seed heads on it, but that will depend on when it's cut. The seed heads are good for identification. It certainly looks a reasonable hay to feed to a rabbit.

    It certainly says Timothy on the packet. I don't see Meadow Grass written there, but presumably it's in Turkish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Tricky! Manufacturer says its meadow hay.. Confusing!

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    in the package meadow grass = šayır otu(Turkish)
    It says meadow grass hay in Turkish, but timothy is written under it. So the hay doesn't look very much like meadow grass, it's like mixed. But I don't know what Timothy hay looks like, I've never seen it. That's why i'm confused
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

  5. #5
    Mama Doe KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    In the first picture, my spices shelfs were seen in the back. There's enough spice in my kitchen for a restaurant Not even the quarter that is visible in the picture
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

  6. #6
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    21,211

    Default

    This is Timothy hay

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    22,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    in the package meadow grass = šayır otu(Turkish)
    It says meadow grass hay in Turkish, but timothy is written under it. So the hay doesn't look very much like meadow grass, it's like mixed. But I don't know what Timothy hay looks like, I've never seen it. That's why i'm confused
    It might also be that the supplier is also confused

    Meadow Grass is a family name of grasses. There are several different types of Meadow Grass, but Timothy is not one of them. There is only one species called Timothy.

    It really doesn't matter terribly much whether the hay is Timothy or Meadow, as long as it is fresh, healthy and non-dusty hay. Timothy is rougher and so is considered to be better for wearing down rabbits' teeth. But it's also important that the rabbit eats a lot of hay. So see if Cookie likes it It's certainly looks like the sort of hay my rabbit would like, but some rabbits prefer softer hay.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    22,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    This is Timothy hay

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    You can see here the typical Timothy seedheads. See if you can find any in your sample.

  9. #9
    Mama Doe KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    This is Timothy hay

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Actually it looks a bit like it's just this flowery head there are no herbs
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

  10. #10
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    21,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    Actually it looks a bit like it's just this flowery head there are no herbs
    What do you mean by herbs? This doesn't have any in it

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •