• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Old Useful Diet Thread

Hi All. Same as Karens Health thread I've started to compile a list (in first post) of useful health links and old threads so that they are all in one place and this can be the first port of call, if you like, when a diet related problem arises.

The list is by no means complete as yet - some sections still need more links and there are no doubt some issues that I haven't mentioned at all yet.

If anybody has any useful links or knows of old threads on here which may be relevant, could you kindly pm me and I will add them to the first post.

Webble you need to edit your post in t'other forum and then copy otherwise it copies the links with the ...'s in. :)

Hey only me! :wave:

I was wondering if in addition to a 'common safe plants' if there is a 'common dangerous plants' thread somewhere? I've seen the link to Gray's thread but they are cartoon pictures and i'm really really bad at plant identification :mrgreen:

Hey only me! :wave:

I was wondering if in addition to a 'common safe plants' if there is a 'common dangerous plants' thread somewhere? I've seen the link to Gray's thread but they are cartoon pictures and i'm really really bad at plant identification :mrgreen:

Leave it with me - will be a job for the weekend

Thanks for these tips i always wanted to get the best diet for my pet but didn't know where to find this but with your help it's quite very easy for me now. Once again thanks from my pet he will be happy to eat this.

Last edited:
I was reading the Link on Rabbit poop from Medi rabbit and i just wanted to add one thing

the ID Pic for Ingested fur or carpet doesnt mention that the stringing can come from not chewing grass properly and can be a sign of poor back teeth/molars. Which is what our Darcie has, he had the stringy poop and when it was pulled apart and we looked at it we found it was unchewed grass. Full grass leaves all weaved together to form an almost rope/string appearance. Just incase any one sees stringy poop to get back teeth checked also :thumb:

Hi, I'm really, really new to rabbits as in I only properly became interested in having one as a pet today. I am aware hay is supposed to make up around 80% of their diet but I was wondering if there are any other options. Both my mother and I are heavily allergic to hay but not the rabbit itself. I could use paper as bedding instead because they'd be indoor bunnies and they could have grass, just not hay.
Any help? I thought this might be the place to post this because it was relevant to nutrition and what not, sorry if it's not the right place.

Hi, I'm really, really new to rabbits as in I only properly became interested in having one as a pet today. I am aware hay is supposed to make up around 80% of their diet but I was wondering if there are any other options. Both my mother and I are heavily allergic to hay but not the rabbit itself. I could use paper as bedding instead because they'd be indoor bunnies and they could have grass, just not hay.
Any help? I thought this might be the place to post this because it was relevant to nutrition and what not, sorry if it's not the right place.

You will have problems feeding a rabbit eg during winter when grass is not available. They are designed to eat mainly grass, so hay is the ideal substitute. There are dust extracted hays available, if this makes a difference. Hay provides the fibre to keep their guts healthy and also helps to keep their constantly growing teeth worn down.

For indoor rabbits, there are alternative things you can use for bedding (eg vetbed, fleece), but that depends on the rabbit. Some will try to eat card, paper and fabric.

I would seriously reconsider having rabbits (they need company) as pets if you can't use hay.

You will have problems feeding a rabbit eg during winter when grass is not available. They are designed to eat mainly grass, so hay is the ideal substitute. There are dust extracted hays available, if this makes a difference. Hay provides the fibre to keep their guts healthy and also helps to keep their constantly growing teeth worn down.

For indoor rabbits, there are alternative things you can use for bedding (eg vetbed, fleece), but that depends on the rabbit. Some will try to eat card, paper and fabric.

I would seriously reconsider having rabbits (they need company) as pets if you can't use hay.

Cough, cough Rex88 made the post in 2015…..

Back