Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSPCA Minimum Housing Requirements

Banned

Default RSPCA Minimum Housing Requirements

My brother is getting a rabbit for his two daughters. Without trying to sound like some kind of crazy animal welfare activist, I said that I would send over some literature for him to read beforehand and said that it's something i care strongly about and would appreciate very much if he didn't disregard the info.

So having a look through the RSPCA site and noticed that they had an updated PDF file on Rabbit Housing Advice.

It makes for interesting reading, and sounds positive regarding changes they are hoping to make and enforce in the future. A couple of pertinent quotes below:

The RSPCA does not have minimum dimensions for rabbit housing that are available to the public at this time.
    Just over a third of the calls to the RSPCA about incidents of cruelty or neglect to domestic rabbits relate to concerns about inappropriate accommodation.
    Wasn't sure if anyone had read or was interested in reading it.

That's a bit stupid.

They don't want rabbits to be neglected and know the majority of neglection is due to the housing however are not telling people the correct housing (which would stop the majority of neglection).

I hadnt read it before now but I was aware that they didnt have a minimum size, which I find a bit odd, but it does say that there is a recommendation for the rabbit to be able to take a sequence of hops, and that 3 is the minimum number of hops. I know the RWAF suggest that people generally underestimate how long 3 hops would be, and put this at 6-7ft as a minimum. I've always found it a bit strange that the RSPCA won't say what the minimum should be.

I am pleased that they have put quite a bit of emphasis on height of accommodation and that rabbits are happier in larger enclosures and need to be stimulated and given toys to help them exhibit natural behaviours.

Brown booted bunny,
    Such a brave and special girl,
    Never shared carrots

A haiku for beautiful Fay who went to the Bridge 29/02/2012

Helicopter eared
    Happy-go-lucky man loves
    Dancing for dinner

A haiku for handsome Kenco who went to the Bridge 26/12/12

Sleep tight my handsome prince Starbuck and beautiful Dutch girlie Twinkle, we miss you all lots xxx

I thought they did & that the hutch should be 6ft in length (cant remember the rest) When i adopted my last bun from the NAWT the person there said their hutches were the size recommended by the RSPCA.

Ive pledged 1 per month for Rescues, will you?

I recommend sending your brother the link to the RWAF.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria39 View Post
    I recommend sending your brother the link to the RWAF.
    Thanks

Looking through the RWAF leaflets on housing and the "hutch is not enough" info, it doesn't look any different to the RSPCA info, and still doesn't specify any minimum requirements. (actually just found one page where it does, interesting that those recommendations aren't on the PDF leaflets though)

Personally I think the RSPCA has more weight behind it to a rabbit "newbie" purely because of the brand.

The Hutch is Not Enough campaign page specifies sizes.

Brown booted bunny,
    Never shared carrots

Helicopter eared
    Happy-go-lucky man loves
    Dancing for dinner

Sleep tight my handsome prince Starbuck and beautiful Dutch girlie Twinkle, we miss you all lots xxx

Rwa and bluecross both agree on the 6X2 foot each rspca branch set there own standards. I think the one in hull is 6X3X3.5 high

My Babies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by helgalush View Post
    The Hutch is Not Enough campaign page specifies sizes.
    You are correct.

I blame my conjunctivitis for not spotting it!

I've forwarded the leaflet on to him as well as the RSPCA link that I've already sent.

It'll be interesting to see what comes from the RSPCA study, and whether anything can be enforced or changed off the back of it.

Yeah its interesting, thanks for putting it up.

Brown booted bunny,
    Never shared carrots

Helicopter eared
    Happy-go-lucky man loves
    Dancing for dinner