• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zithromax - how to make it up - help please ASAP

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys.

I've got the meds (200mg/5ml) and am very confused about how to make it up.

It says 1ml of reconstituted suspension daily.

So if the bottle of powder is 15ml and the box says "15ml powder + 9ml water" do i take that to mean i need to use 5ml of powder and 3ml of water to make up 5ml which is 5 days worth?

Does that make sense?

Can anyone confirm this for me please - asap if possible as im meant to be giving it tonight and this has been confusing me now for ~30mins!

Thanks in advance for those who take the time to post.:wave:

Hi guys.

I've got the meds (200mg/5ml) and am very confused about how to make it up.

It says 1ml of reconstituted suspension daily.

So if the bottle of powder is 15ml and the box says "15ml powder + 9ml water" do i take that to mean i need to use 5ml of powder and 3ml of water to make up 5ml which is 5 days worth?

Does that make sense?

Can anyone confirm this for me please - asap if possible as im meant to be giving it tonight and this has been confusing me now for ~30mins!

Thanks in advance for those who take the time to post.:wave:

That is how I understand it :?

You'll need to make up slightly more than you need in 5 days (there's always a bit of wastage). I'd probably measure the powder out into 2 halves and add 4.5mls of water to one half.

:wave:This might be a little late but i have just read your post. I hope you have it sorted out already, but.... Always reconstitute as the box says, like childrens medicines. This means all the powder and all the water. This is your suspension to give 1ml daily. Throw any left away after the course. If you do not reconstitute exactly you will be giving the wrong dose. Never ever guess these amounts. Safe vibes sent to you and your bunnies.

:wave:This might be a little late but i have just read your post. I hope you have it sorted out already, but.... Always reconstitute as the box says, like childrens medicines. This means all the powder and all the water. This is your suspension to give 1ml daily. Throw any left away after the course. If you do not reconstitute exactly you will be giving the wrong dose. Never ever guess these amounts. Safe vibes sent to you and your bunnies.

The vets said it was fine to do what i'm asking :? This was THEIR recommendation but i got confused :lol:

They said theres no point in making it all up as it only lasts 5 days once mixed so i'd be wasting 2/3 of the bottle.

You'll need to make up slightly more than you need in 5 days (there's always a bit of wastage). I'd probably measure the powder out into 2 halves and add 4.5mls of water to one half.

Thanks Amy :love:

Little insights like this are brilliant - i will go for the 2 halves options as not to waste it :)

Your a gem, thank you!

The vets said it was fine to do what i'm asking :? This was THEIR recommendation but i got confused :lol:

They said theres no point in making it all up as it only lasts 5 days once mixed so i'd be wasting 2/3 of the bottle.

Glad you have this sorted out now. From a pharmaceutical point of view, no one would recommend you doing this but if your vet said this is ok then of course you must take their advice. Your excess powder should be thrown away anyway as no pharmacy would guarantee the stability of it. :)

Glad you have this sorted out now. From a pharmaceutical point of view, no one would recommend you doing this but if your vet said this is ok then of course you must take their advice. Your excess powder should be thrown away anyway as no pharmacy would guarantee the stability of it. :)

Yes, i'm aware of the fact :)

Had to sign a cascade form also, i hate those things!

Back