Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Zithromax - how to make it up - help please ASAP

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper GrahamL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In an office with bunnies :D
    Posts
    24,125

    Default Zithromax - how to make it up - help please ASAP

    Hi guys.

    I've got the meds (200mg/5ml) and am very confused about how to make it up.

    It says 1ml of reconstituted suspension daily.

    So if the bottle of powder is 15ml and the box says "15ml powder + 9ml water" do i take that to mean i need to use 5ml of powder and 3ml of water to make up 5ml which is 5 days worth?

    Does that make sense?

    Can anyone confirm this for me please - asap if possible as im meant to be giving it tonight and this has been confusing me now for ~30mins!

    Thanks in advance for those who take the time to post.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    104,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
    Hi guys.

    I've got the meds (200mg/5ml) and am very confused about how to make it up.

    It says 1ml of reconstituted suspension daily.

    So if the bottle of powder is 15ml and the box says "15ml powder + 9ml water" do i take that to mean i need to use 5ml of powder and 3ml of water to make up 5ml which is 5 days worth?

    Does that make sense?

    Can anyone confirm this for me please - asap if possible as im meant to be giving it tonight and this has been confusing me now for ~30mins!

    Thanks in advance for those who take the time to post.
    That is how I understand it

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mods Room!!
    Posts
    24,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    That is how I understand it
    Me too

  4. #4
    Forum Buddy Alibunmum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    13,719

    Default

    Sounds sensible to me!


    Do you need small animal boarding in Central Scotland? Have a look at my advert for my boarding service.

    http://www.findpetboarding.com/small...g/profile/5416

    Hi! If you need help with anything, please send me, or one of the other forum buddies a message and we will do our best to help.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    13,707

    Default

    You'll need to make up slightly more than you need in 5 days (there's always a bit of wastage). I'd probably measure the powder out into 2 halves and add 4.5mls of water to one half.

  7. #7
    Warren Scout bunnybobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In my heart - Wales.
    Posts
    180

    Default

    This might be a little late but i have just read your post. I hope you have it sorted out already, but.... Always reconstitute as the box says, like childrens medicines. This means all the powder and all the water. This is your suspension to give 1ml daily. Throw any left away after the course. If you do not reconstitute exactly you will be giving the wrong dose. Never ever guess these amounts. Safe vibes sent to you and your bunnies.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper GrahamL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In an office with bunnies :D
    Posts
    24,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnybobby View Post
    This might be a little late but i have just read your post. I hope you have it sorted out already, but.... Always reconstitute as the box says, like childrens medicines. This means all the powder and all the water. This is your suspension to give 1ml daily. Throw any left away after the course. If you do not reconstitute exactly you will be giving the wrong dose. Never ever guess these amounts. Safe vibes sent to you and your bunnies.
    The vets said it was fine to do what i'm asking This was THEIR recommendation but i got confused

    They said theres no point in making it all up as it only lasts 5 days once mixed so i'd be wasting 2/3 of the bottle.

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper GrahamL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In an office with bunnies :D
    Posts
    24,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abbymarysmokey View Post
    You'll need to make up slightly more than you need in 5 days (there's always a bit of wastage). I'd probably measure the powder out into 2 halves and add 4.5mls of water to one half.
    Thanks Amy

    Little insights like this are brilliant - i will go for the 2 halves options as not to waste it

    Your a gem, thank you!

  10. #10
    Warren Scout bunnybobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In my heart - Wales.
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
    The vets said it was fine to do what i'm asking This was THEIR recommendation but i got confused

    They said theres no point in making it all up as it only lasts 5 days once mixed so i'd be wasting 2/3 of the bottle.
    Glad you have this sorted out now. From a pharmaceutical point of view, no one would recommend you doing this but if your vet said this is ok then of course you must take their advice. Your excess powder should be thrown away anyway as no pharmacy would guarantee the stability of it.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •