• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frontline- Cats

I thought you had to remove flea dirt yourself, that frontline just kills the fleas and any future ones.

I think once its dry its safe, or I always thought that was the case when using it on dogs, because the dog one is toxic to cats. I think theyhave to physically be close touching/licking the area for it to be a worry. I've used it on and off for years and never found it dripped anywhere.

I just had a major panic! :shock:
In the kitchen/Lounge there was a drop of something 'wet' on the floor and immediatly my brain said it was a drop of frontline and it gt on my foot.
But realisticaly how could it have been a drop of frontline because it was applied at 3pm ish yesterday it would ahve been dry by now even if it had got on to the floor, right?

It's in an alcohol base. Would evaporate very quickly.

If the frontline was applied over 48hrs ago now, would it be any problem if I cuddle Simba the cat then cudfle up to Jimby and Cookie?
Is there any way that the frontline could now poison my babies?

No, your bunnies are perfectly safe. As soon as the Frontline is dry (a matter of hours at most) it will do no harm.

From the frontline (as long as it was dry) then yes....from the wrath of the cat after the same of being groomed by a rabbit.....who can say?! :shock::shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yep. all vaccines, spot-ons etc have quite large safety margins so the bun would have to either have the spot-on applied to them or ingest it out of the packet to have any real effect.

Personally I'd recommend advocate for cats anyway

Our vet has recomended Advantage? He said that would be the safest option as it is safe for bunnies too so I would have no worries.

So after 48hrs there wld be nothing left of the cat, sofa etc that could harm my bunnies?

Both products are good, whichever works best for you in your situation.

In that time there would be such small, trace amounts left, which would also have dried on, that it would be pretty much impossible for the bunny to come in contact with enough of it to have any effect.

Generally if you are worried by things like this, put the spot-on on the cat immediately after you have 'done' your bunnies for the morning/evening/day when the cat is about to go outside for a few hours, or shut it in the house for a few hours somewhere that the rabbits never go, and wash your hands. Then the cat is unlikely to touch anything the rabbits could touch before it dries and none will be on you when you handle your buns.

The buns are in our room and thats the only room they go in, Simba has the rest of the house except our room, so bunnies and cat are never in the same area of the house anyway. But I just worry that Simba may have rubbed on the sofa whilst it was drying then if I sit on the sofa then sit on our sofa and the bunnies jump on to our sofa that they could be poisoned?!

My bunnies are outdoors which is why I do the cats in the evening after I have dealt with the bunnies and put them away. I always get frontline all over me so just wash my hands once and no problems touching the buns in the morning. It usually takes just an hour or so to dry so if you don't touch the cat for around an hour it will be fine. Even if it gets on your hands you will be fine once you have washed them once.

Eta- I'm always picking up and cuddling my cats so it is most likely I would have cuddled a cat the morning following it's treatment then picked up a bun. Buns have always been fine :)

Last edited:
I have spoken to our vet who sees Jimby and Cookie, he is well aware of my condition and the practice are extremley understanding.
They have assured me that once the product is dry then even if Simba the cat has rubbed up against something and I touch it then touch the bunnies it would not have an impact on them, that like you have said the product would have to actually be applied directly to the rabbits or they would have to digest it orally while the product was wet but once dry and especially after this amount of time they have assured me that even if the bunnies were to lick the cat there would be no conceqence from the Frontline.
(Which of cause we have not done due to them not being allowed to meet one another!)
They said that even if Simba had rubbed against something whilst the product was wet it would have been dried by now and have lost its potency so would still not cause a problem for the bunnies if they were to have contact directly or indirectly with what he had touched.

Would you agree with what we have been told above?

rachylou,i shouldnt say this on here but i used to use the frontline spray on my rabbits years ago and NONE of them came to any harm

I have spoken to our vet who sees Jimby and Cookie, he is well aware of my condition and the practice are extremley understanding.
They have assured me that once the product is dry then even if Simba the cat has rubbed up against something and I touch it then touch the bunnies it would not have an impact on them, that like you have said the product would have to actually be applied directly to the rabbits or they would have to digest it orally while the product was wet but once dry and especially after this amount of time they have assured me that even if the bunnies were to lick the cat there would be no conceqence from the Frontline.
(Which of cause we have not done due to them not being allowed to meet one another!)
They said that even if Simba had rubbed against something whilst the product was wet it would have been dried by now and have lost its potency so would still not cause a problem for the bunnies if they were to have contact directly or indirectly with what he had touched.

Would you agree with what we have been told above?

Yep! :D :thumb:

Back