• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Do You Tell If A Rabbit Is Dehydrated?

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
As title really.
I know you cant do the skin elasticity test that you do with cats and dogs, so how do you assess it in rabbits?
Just curious :wave:

As title really.
I know you cant do the skin elasticity test that you do with cats and dogs, so how do you assess it in rabbits?
Just curious :wave:

You can, doing it on the underside of the abdomen works best IME

Also, urinary output may be reduced and what is produced may be very concentrated

Gut motility is usually reduced too, with small dark poos

You can, doing it on the underside of the abdomen works best IME

Also, urinary output may be reduced and what is produced may be very concentrated

Gut motility is usually reduced too, with small dark poos

Was hoping you'd see this ;)

Oh so you can do the skin test, I wonder why I thought you couldnt :?:oops:

Bottle or Bowl?

On the subject of dehydration I noticed that my rabbit was not drinking at all.She lived on her carrot and apple but the water in her bottle never went down.The RSPCA rejected my suggestion of using a bowl but as soon as I put one out for her she started drinking.Afterall,rabbits don't have a bottle in the wild.
My point is,on dehydration,the experts aren't always right.You know your rabbit.My rabbit would lick furniture and chew the wall when thirsty so look for signs like that.

When my vet checked Skye for dehydration when she had stasis, she did the skin elasticity test sort of on her shoulder, and also mentioned that a dehydrated bun's eyes may appear sunken....although I suspect it would be quite an advanced case before this as evident. (That's just my suspision, I don't have any evidence!)

Back