• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back teeth dental...Vibes please :( UPDATE

Jodes

Mama Doe
So I took digs to the vet today,first visit I've had with him since I've had him.he's always been abit growly when being picked up...even with his old owner....turns out his back teeth arnt lined up with front teeth and very long and spiky :( i feel so rubbish for him :( vet has said I can't wait more than a week or so to have a GA then have them sorted out :(
Is there anything I could of done to change this?? :( his old owner has said she would help pay for the dental cos he was with her and she should if noticed a problem but thought he was just bad tempered :( my poor boy :(

He's going in on Thursday morning 8.30.....:/ they said he can eat over nite etc,is that safe for him? As I know with cats they can't eat past 8 in the eve night before

Last edited:
If his teeth arent aligned, the only think you can do is prolong the periods between the dentals possibly, by providing lots of hay to chew on. As they aren't aligned, he may well need dentals very frequently.

Lots of people have dental buns, myself included. Ginger's back teeth dont grind against each other as her jaw doesnt close at the back - so all we can do is extend the time. We currently need one every 7-8 weeks.

ETA Vibes!

If his teeth arent aligned, the only think you can do is prolong the periods between the dentals possibly, by providing lots of hay to chew on. As they aren't aligned, he may well need dentals very frequently.

Lots of people have dental buns, myself included. Ginger's back teeth dont grind against each other as her jaw doesnt close at the back - so all we can do is extend the time. We currently need one every 7-8 weeks.

The vet said he could need a few rentals a year or every year,it's always different,mum said the same. How can this happen? :(

I know it's the norm with buns....I just feel so bad for him that this wasn't noticed with his old owner :( and he's just got grumpier....obviously cos of the pain! But he still ate!

How old is ginger?

The vet said he could need a few rentals a year or every year,it's always different,mum said the same. How can this happen? :(

I know it's the norm with buns....I just feel so bad for him that this wasn't noticed with his old owner :( and he's just got grumpier....obviously cos of the pain! But he still ate!

How old is ginger?

She's just over a year old. She suffers from all sorts of genetic deformities due to bad breeding.

It happens because rabbits are often bred without the welfare of the rabbit at heart, and so they suffer from genetic deformities, such as teeth.

If he's suffering like this, ensure he's on daily metacam if possible to help with the pain, it may make him feel so much better :)

She's just over a year old. She suffers from all sorts of genetic deformities due to bad breeding.

It happens because rabbits are often bred without the welfare of the rabbit at heart, and so they suffer from genetic deformities, such as teeth.

If he's suffering like this, ensure he's on daily metacam if possible to help with the pain, it may make him feel so much better :)

Same age as digs. It's so sad...some places just don't a :censored: and do it for the cash! I'm sure you know of my mums buns,lily and beebee?

Meta am? Where can I get that from? Thank you so much :)

Same age as digs. It's so sad...some places just don't a :censored: and do it for the cash! I'm sure you know of my mums buns,lily and beebee?

Meta am? Where can I get that from? Thank you so much :)

I cant say i do - i will search out some of your threads :)

Metacam is meloxicam - a pain killer used by vets for rabbits. You'll need to ask your vet for this as its a prescription only item.

You are very welcome :)

Sending vibes from this direction too. :wave: Spenser's teeth aren't aligned perfectly, but so far he hasn't needed a dental. He's not the world's greatest hay eater so I expect he'll need a denatl one day.

I cant say i do - i will search out some of your threads :)

Metacam is meloxicam - a pain killer used by vets for rabbits. You'll need to ask your vet for this as its a prescription only item.

You are very welcome :)

Excellent,I'll get onto that :) ta very much :)

My mum is yvette on here...lily has her teeth burred every fornight I think.both her and beebee came from a place where they just breed for money and theses two buns have rare curvatures of the spines...

Sending vibes from this direction too. :wave: Spenser's teeth aren't aligned perfectly, but so far he hasn't needed a dental. He's not the world's greatest hay eater so I expect he'll need a denatl one day.

Thanks :) digs does eat his hay and everything very well :/ I'm just very sad for him. He has a friend for bonding soon so I hope he's going to be ok with her...

Excellent,I'll get onto that :) ta very much :)

My mum is yvette on here...lily has her teeth burred every fornight I think.both her and beebee came from a place where they just breed for money and theses two buns have rare curvatures of the spines...

Ahhhhhhhhhh! That makes more sense :)

Loads of vibes for digs!

Lots of vibes for Digs. My 4 need molar dentals every 6 to 8 weeks as their teeth are so squiffy ... and trying to get them to eat hay is a running battle :roll:
Lots of vibes
x

I'm sure your vet will take every care with Dig's GA. Mine get done conscious except for a couple of times a year when they get a sedation so that they get a good look and burr, and one of my bunch, Blakey, is quite delicate after a GA. The rest are fine a GA though.
But, conscious molar dentals aren't everyone's choice, it's up to the individual and their vet, and of course the bunny.

I'm sure your vet will take every care with Dig's GA. Mine get done conscious except for a couple of times a year when they get a sedation so that they get a good look and burr, and one of my bunch, Blakey, is quite delicate after a GA. The rest are fine a GA though.
But, conscious molar dentals aren't everyone's choice, it's up to the individual and their vet, and of course the bunny.

I wouldn't want him awake but I still don't like the fact he needs a GA :? Just heard a few things.....:? I don't want him in anymore pain though....he's had this problem since nov/dec with his old owner :(

Your Blakey is gorgeous! Love the face-fur :D :love:

I wouldn't want him awake but I still don't like the fact he needs a GA :? Just heard a few things.....:? I don't want him in anymore pain though....he's had this problem since nov/dec with his old owner :(

There's always a risk with GA (I put off Spenser's neuter for months :oops:). The risk is greater for rabbits than cats or dogs, but sometimes it has to be done, or is in the bunny's best interest. My Spenser may need a dental at some point in the future, but all we can really do is think positive and make sure we feel confident in our vet.

Sorry to hear about your bunny's teeth problems :(

I know it's scary putting them in for a GA but they are much less risky than they used to be :) Sadly a lot of rabbits end up having to have dental work done at some point so it's quite a routine procedure.

When my rabbit Sorrel had dentals I used to have her on Metacam a few days before and a few after, as the sharp teeth cut into the inside of the cheek, and being on painkillers helps bunny to keep eating while the injuries heal.

The main thing you can do to reduce the amount of dentals he needs is to maximise the amount of fibre he has - so reduce pellets and increase hay.

You are well prepared so I'm sure he'll be fine, let us know how he gets on.:wave:

Back