• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Butterfly bush (Buddleia)

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
We have a large buddleia in our garden next to the rabbit hutch, very matured (big base roots). I was wondering if rabbits can nibble it with safety? Thumper ate some leaves and was fine, I didn't realise he has got hold of some until after I noticed some of the soft branch disappearing into his mouth!

We want to extend the rabbit run by about twice as much but this means possible exposure to small areas of buddleia. They wouldn't be able to get hold of the flowers, probably just base strunck, and sticks/leaves on occasion.

any thoughts :)

its fine - leaves and all

Thats what I thought, after I started the thread I decided to look for a similar thread on the forum and found one, people either said it's ok or they weren't sure but hadn't had any issues with it. A little worried now :? I'm so far agreeing it's ok, but now have a worry of doubt!

That surprised me as I've always believed it to be poisonous in anything other than tiny amounts. I've just googled it and found divided opinion. :roll:
So I think I'm going to carry on avoiding it. :)

Fair point :) Better safe then sorry. I'm building their run around the budhleia but bits may drop in so I'm not going to worry too much :)

I believe Twigs said not to feed the flowers as there's something in the seeds so I just give mine the leaves.

Yes, that's what is in Twig's Foraging book. I would have no problem feeding the leaves to the rabbits in Spring (new leaves) and Autumn (when they're drying). Unfortunately mine won't eat them though :shock: We have some in the garden, so I might actually give it another try.

Yes, that's what is in Twig's Foraging book. I would have no problem feeding the leaves to the rabbits in Spring (new leaves) and Autumn (when they're drying). Unfortunately mine won't eat them though :shock: We have some in the garden, so I might actually give it another try.

Mine wouldn't at first but did eventually. Must be an acquired taste.

Thank you both.
They've had the thick branches at the bottom before with no leaves etc and they seemed to like that.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back