• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding routine?

Bunny-mum

Young Bun
I have only had my two rabbits since Wednesday and I am just wondering what everyones feeding routine is?

Mine goes like this
7am fill up hay rack

12pm top up hay and give 80g pellets ( shop told me to give 40g each)

4pm check hay top up if needed

6pm greens yesterday they had dandilions and rocket today they had kale.

10pm check hay and top it up for morning.

Obviously times are approx I don't set an alarm or anything lol does this sound ok?
Thanks cerri

Its a saturday morning so people may have plans or just having a lazy day so might not be online yet.

Generally you only feed rabbits an eggcup full of pellets each..

My routine for my rabbits..
I give them their pellets in the morning, a small handful each for Cooper, Marley and Dexter and just top up Willows food bowl. Then I give them fresh hay.
I let Willow out of her cage after that, she gets out of her cage every morning and every evening, from about 10am-2pm in the morning and about 6pm-11pm at night.
At night time, everyone gets their vegetables and a top up of hay. Willow gets her pellets topped up. Water bottles get changed and Marley and Dexters water bowl gets refilled.

*Willow is on alot of pellets as she is only 9 weeks old and she is a flemish giant, its reccomend to give flemish giants alot of pellets due to the growing they are doing and also the amount of protein they need in their diet. She pretty much has unlimited pellets.

The pellets I feed Cooper, Marley and Dexter and Burgess Excel which is great. The pellets I feed Willow are Burgess Excel Junior and dwarf because it has extra protein for her. But Willow is getting some of the dry food she was fed at her last home still which was a mix between red mills pellets and a museli mix. But thats nearly all gone now.

I think I might need to cut down on their pellets then! As 40g each seems a lot more then an egg cup full!

They love their hay though which is good!

I think I might need to cut down on their pellets then! As 40g each seems a lot more then an egg cup full!

They love their hay though which is good!

Ya it sounds alot more, cut down on the pellets slowly to not upset there tummys. What type of pellets are they?

Hi, sounds like you've got a good routine going, but I agree that you might want to cut down on pellets abit :)

My routine is:

8am- An eggcup full of pellets per bun, hay top up and water change.

4-5pm (i.e. after work)- Hay top up and fenugreek crunchie each.

7pm- Veggie time (handful of herbs, veggies and/or grass each) Hay top up

Bed time- Hay top up and water change

:wave:

They are on pets at home pellets for junior an dwarf! But I will be changing them over gradually to another one when I have done some more research into the best one

They are on pets at home pellets for junior an dwarf! But I will be changing them over gradually to another one when I have done some more research into the best one

Yes that would be a good idea to change them over to a better one. Good ones are Burgess Excel which is what I feed but some people say it has cause there rabbits sticky droppings but my four do great on it and there is science selective which alot of people really here like but I don't like the ingrediants in it so I prefer Burgess :)

Ok thanks I will see which out of them two I can easily get hold of here.
Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated as these are my first bunnys! (prob not the last lol)

How old are your buns?When mine were growing buns they had adlib excel pellets & hay/grass & small amounts of fruit/veg.
Now my buns are adults they have 30mins worth of excel pellets & hay rack topped up in morning & from 6pm -10pm they have as much fruit/veg as they will eat & hay rack topped up.They have a bowl of water during day & fresh water in bottle at night[not that they use it]plus I put extra water on their veg.I haven't had a dental bun in 11years since started this feeding regime,& stasis,what is that?!!:D

Around 10.15 I give them about 4 eggcups of pellets between them (2 medium buns, 1 big one) and fill up the hay rack.

Around 4 I take down a small amount of veggies and check that they still have enough hay to last til the morning and usually sprinkle on a bit of readigrass.

That's it!

My routine, starts at 7am on weekdays, they gotta wait until 8.30-9am on weekends though.

Morning - 5" diameter bowl of veges (staples are spring greens, broccoli and flat leaf parsley, may also get a bit of carrot and other herbs like mint, basil etc). Also give fresh hay - they have it all over the place, in two litter trays and three hay racks, about handful and a half in each spot. Refresh water.

Evening - 5" diameter bowl with literally a handful of pellets, they get approx 6-10 science selective pellets each. And I refresh all the hay again. And refresh water again.

When it's bed time they get a carroty (the treat not the vegetable) or two to get them away from their slidey door out into the grass run haha! They also get the odd Fenugreek crunchie for being cute at some point throughout the day.

Last edited:
8.30am: Tablespoon of excel and SS for Oscar and 11 SS pellets for Jessie (currently swapping Oscar to SS and introducing them to Jessie), top up hay rack

Throughout day: Add handfuls of hay to racks and litter trays

Mid-afternoon: Apple twigs or grass box to share

10pm: Veggies- 2 or 3 different types for Oscar, slowly introducing them to Jessie

I got them from pets at home in the rescue/ adoption bit. The member of staff said they was nine weeks old and should triple in size once adults!

My routine is:

6am - Hubby gives them their morning pellets (I split their pellets into twice a day so they have a few in a morning and a few at tea time).

7am - I give them fresh hay in their litter tray, plus a big pile in the top of the hutch and a pile in the run, change their water.

5pm - They have their second lot of pellets and I top up their hay.

9.30pm - They have their veggies - I read somewhere that you should try and give them 3 different types of veg each day. Y'day they had coriander, spring greens and a tiny bit of carrot. Tonight they'll have green pepper, spring greens and rosemary.

Mine are on Science Selective as excel gave them sticky bums. :D

I got them from pets at home in the rescue/ adoption bit. The member of staff said they was nine weeks old and should triple in size once adults!

If they are that age they should probably be having more than the eggcupful recommended for adults. Might be worth you looking through some of the old threads on feeding babies.

If they are that age they should probably be having more than the eggcupful recommended for adults. Might be worth you looking through some of the old threads on feeding babies.
My babies had adlib pellets until approx 7mths then dishes of pellets twice a day until approx 12mths then gradually weaned them down to the adult diet I previously mentioned.Introduce fresh foods gradually until they are used to them.Very small amounts to begin with.:D

i think that you should just stick with the amount of pellets for now, dont overfeed as they might go off hay, or not eat enough of it. decrease pellets a bit when they get a few months older though.

i use excel as they seem to be sold most widely. Ive never experienced the dark wet poo issue. This is bad but i have been using a mixture of excel and PAH own brand lately as the PAH ones had an offer on. bunnies dont seem to be suffering any ill effects though. i always make changes gradually.

i dont think of myself as having a routine, but i feed 1-2 handfuls of pellets in the evening, after exercise and handling with some veg/ fruit at the same time, and some veg in the mornings before i go to work, i just check the hay levels as often as i can keep and keep topping up.

which hay do you use?

Last edited:
I feed my bunnies Bunny Basics T and nothing else (pellet wise)! I think it's the bomb! They get a handful between them, (my hand are only small).

6:45am - change litter tray and fill with any left over hay from the day before plus some fresh. I also top up their eating hay and depending on if they're eating much hay I'll give them a hay cookie to share.

6:45am-6pm - Mummy is very poorly atm so I let her feed my bunnies their pellets plus some red grapes each.

6pm - When I get home from work I do another litter change, hay top up, water change. Then general sweeping up.

:)

Back