Thread: I need to know what to feed to settle a tummy? Important.

Wise Old Thumper

Default I need to know what to feed to settle a tummy? Important.

As said up there.

This is not for a bunny of mine, this is for a Centre bunny. She is very sick and likely in renal or liver failure (or both).

She is producing exceptionally odd poo and like a fluid liquid with it which is making her incredibly messy and at high risk of fly strike.

They have tried

~panacur
    ~anti bios
    ~fibreplex
    ~Pro fibre pellets
    ~Hay only diet.

What else can we try please? This is so, so important.

Bramble leaves?
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Bramble, Sloe & Plantain if thumps_ thread is anything to go by Sky?

Wise Old Thumper

I have Virginia Richard's book here and it states that bramble leaves are one of the best treatments for an unsettled stomach.

I believe I recall thumps_ saying that tannin-rich tree leaves are beneficial.

Both plantain and echinacea are high in fibre, which could help - although I can't remember if they're more fibrous than hay.

Can you get some bramble leaves?

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.

I cant really offer any more than the above suggestions. But wondered whether the things that might typically settle a humans tummy might help, eg mint, fennel, maybe even mallow if that is safe for buns?

Sending vibes for the bunny x

Brown booted bunny,
    Such a brave and special girl,
    Never shared carrots

A haiku for beautiful Fay who went to the Bridge 29/02/2012

Helicopter eared
    Happy-go-lucky man loves
    Dancing for dinner

A haiku for handsome Kenco who went to the Bridge 26/12/12

Sleep tight my handsome prince Starbuck and beautiful Dutch girlie Twinkle, we miss you all lots xxx

Warren Veteran

Have you tried pellet and hay diet, no veg? I wouldn't want to make any hard and fast recommendations with the kidney failure renal, but regards to the runny bum- going on wagg- i found this has been good for not causing runny poo. No excel as that's a horrible one for it. Maybe some herbs, but no spring greens or other heavy veggies.
    The opinions of Ambience are entirely personal- Please consult a vet regarding medical advice. Any suggestions given regarding care are personal oppinions only.

I would go with the blackberry, raspberry, and plantain leaves.

Also if it is renal failure they usually gradually take themselves off pellets and move across to grass and weeds given the chance, as pellets are too rich in things the kidneys are unable to process.

Both my renal buns (plus two very elderly buns in their last year) just gradually stopped their pellet intake (and it was not teeth) just them trying to control their own symptoms.

My newly diagnosed prob. mega colon bun also has mostly taken himself off pellets.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

I don't have advice but do have raspberry leaves which you are welcome to if you can't get any and need some.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

Wise Old Thumper

Did a bit more reading and apparently shepherd's purse is another good plant for this.

Do let me know if you need any plants because i have plenty here

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.