• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Natural painkiller for elderly rabbit?

Alicebelle

New Kit
Hi - does anyone know of anything natural that I can give to Starsky to make him more comfortable in his last weeks?
He is 11 years old and has in the past week become very unsteady on his feet (some days not being able to move at all). He is still happy in himself as long as he gets lost of fuss from me! I just want to be sure that he is not in pain, so thought that if there is a plant perhaps that offers pain relief, that I could give this to him.

I am pretty sure that he is starting to slip away so just want him to be as comfortable as possible. I will obviously make that dreaded call to the vet when I know he isn't happy anymore.

thanks!

Can you not get him to a vet to administer metacam and bring some home for him?

But in answer, willow is a natural pain killer, so willow twigs :)

I'm sorry to hear that your bun might not have long left :(

Why natural in particular? A NSAID such as metacam would be the normal pain relief to give to a rabbit long-term. A steroid (by injection) might help..speak to your vet about possibilities.

I have an elderly rabbit here who has been on metacam every day for the past year or two.

I think I am going to take him to the vets. To be honest I just didnt want to take him there as it will stress him out and I'm frightened that they will tell me to put him to sleep. He honestly is ok in himself, my husband agrees too and at the end of the day we know him best. Starsky is a house rabbit who has been at my side since he was 8 weeks old (I rescued him) and we just adore each other.

I will try the willow sticks though! thanks both....

I think I am going to take him to the vets. To be honest I just didnt want to take him there as it will stress him out and I'm frightened that they will tell me to put him to sleep. He honestly is ok in himself, my husband agrees too and at the end of the day we know him best. Starsky is a house rabbit who has been at my side since he was 8 weeks old (I rescued him) and we just adore each other.

I will try the willow sticks though! thanks both....

Awe he must have had a wonderful life,as you said you know him best so you'll know yourself when it's 'time':( your vet can't force you to do anything. As the others have said metacam may just be what he needs to make him a little more comfortable.I hope he surprises you and gets a second lease of life.big hugs to you and your lovely bunny Starsky.:love:

what about ringing the vet and speaking to them?

if you explain the situation, they may be able to let you have metacam without seeing him :)

Back