Thread: Natural painkiller for elderly rabbit?

New Kit

Default Natural painkiller for elderly rabbit?

Hi - does anyone know of anything natural that I can give to Starsky to make him more comfortable in his last weeks?
    He is 11 years old and has in the past week become very unsteady on his feet (some days not being able to move at all). He is still happy in himself as long as he gets lost of fuss from me! I just want to be sure that he is not in pain, so thought that if there is a plant perhaps that offers pain relief, that I could give this to him.

I am pretty sure that he is starting to slip away so just want him to be as comfortable as possible. I will obviously make that dreaded call to the vet when I know he isn't happy anymore.

thanks!

Can you not get him to a vet to administer metacam and bring some home for him?

But in answer, willow is a natural pain killer, so willow twigs

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry to hear that your bun might not have long left

Why natural in particular? A NSAID such as metacam would be the normal pain relief to give to a rabbit long-term. A steroid (by injection) might help..speak to your vet about possibilities.

I have an elderly rabbit here who has been on metacam every day for the past year or two.

New Kit

I think I am going to take him to the vets. To be honest I just didnt want to take him there as it will stress him out and I'm frightened that they will tell me to put him to sleep. He honestly is ok in himself, my husband agrees too and at the end of the day we know him best. Starsky is a house rabbit who has been at my side since he was 8 weeks old (I rescued him) and we just adore each other.

I will try the willow sticks though! thanks both....

Quote Originally Posted by Alicebelle View Post
    I think I am going to take him to the vets. To be honest I just didnt want to take him there as it will stress him out and I'm frightened that they will tell me to put him to sleep. He honestly is ok in himself, my husband agrees too and at the end of the day we know him best. Starsky is a house rabbit who has been at my side since he was 8 weeks old (I rescued him) and we just adore each other.

I will try the willow sticks though! thanks both....
    Awe he must have had a wonderful life,as you said you know him best so you'll know yourself when it's 'time' your vet can't force you to do anything. As the others have said metacam may just be what he needs to make him a little more comfortable.I hope he surprises you and gets a second lease of life.big hugs to you and your lovely bunny Starsky.

Warren Veteran

Someone said Dandelion flowers.
    Tim

Wise Old Thumper xx-snowball-xx's Avatar

what about ringing the vet and speaking to them?

if you explain the situation, they may be able to let you have metacam without seeing him
    This year I am doing a 5k run to raise money for cancer research.
    Please take a look at my just giving page

www.justgiving.com/Steph-Munro