• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits have to move outside for 1 day - advice?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I need to move our two house buns into the shed for a day.

They aren't 'technically' supposed to be in the house (rented) and the landlords coming round for a house check.

So it's just for the day - and probably the night before so I can get the hay cleaned up!

They currently have a plastic cage - something like this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8706753.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:8706753%7Ccat:sports+and+leisure+%2F+pet+supplies+%2F+small+pet+accessories+%2F

Will they be okay? Will they be cold in the shed in this? There isn't a protected area or hide hole, but the shed is closed up.

I don't want to stress them either - what shall I do?! :( my poor babies!

Is the shed rain proof and damp free, no spores of mould or anything?

I would put them out the day the landlord is coming, just before 9 at the last possible moment. Then as soon as the landlord comes bring them back in.

I wouldn't put them overnight though.

xxx

Yeah, I'll probably do a big clean the night before, they'll have to go to bed early to keep the hay contained, and I'll give them a hay cookie instead of big hay to keep it in the cage better. I'll sort the shed about and take them out in the morning - I hope he turns up on the day he says :lol: eeek!!

Not sure about damp proof etc - seems quite a modern shed, though x

Yeah, I'll probably do a big clean the night before, they'll have to go to bed early to keep the hay contained, and I'll give them a hay cookie instead of big hay to keep it in the cage better. I'll sort the shed about and take them out in the morning - I hope he turns up on the day he says :lol: eeek!!

If he doesn't, don't let him in.

They HAVE to give you at least 24 hours notice in writing before they are able to enter your property.

If he doesn't, don't let him in.

They HAVE to give you at least 24 hours notice in writing before they are able to enter your property.

Agree with this! If he doesn't turn up on the day he says, don't let him in until he rearranges a convenient time with you.

Are you allowed the rabbits outside? Just worried incase he spies them or wonders why there's hay :D

The buns should be fine in the shed. Keep the door open if it's hot, shut it when the landlord arrives and then open it after. Or keep a window open if you can!

The only problem is the heat. They should be okay if it gets a bit nippy - it doesn't even get that cold overnight especially since they're in a shed. if you can move them on the day, do that, but if not then leaving them there overnight shouldn't be a huge problem. The buns will be baffled, but it shouldn't worry them or affect them too much :)

I think you're just doing what I do a lot - over worry :D They're hardy little bunbuns!

buns will probs think its some big adventure aha! mine go crazy for new surroundings etc! rolo spent 40 mins investigating the porch the other day :roll:

put loads of newspaper down, under and around the cage to catch any hay/litter then you can chuck it out on the morning, thats what we did, its quicker than trying to sweep it all up. If you won't be home leave the doors at an exact amount slightly open then you know if he's been by if theyve moved or not ;) i always worried they wouldn't come on the day and would turn up the next day when the buns were back in!

put loads of newspaper down, under and around the cage to catch any hay/litter then you can chuck it out on the morning, thats what we did, its quicker than trying to sweep it all up. If you won't be home leave the doors at an exact amount slightly open then you know if he's been by if theyve moved or not ;) i always worried they wouldn't come on the day and would turn up the next day when the buns were back in!

Are landlords meant to be in the house alone? I thought you would have to stay with them.

Are landlords meant to be in the house alone? I thought you would have to stay with them.

We said it was ok because we both work and they come every 12 weeks so not prepared to waste 4 days holiday each year waiting for them to come and snoop :roll: we move in 2 weeks cant wait, no more housechecks and theyre fine with pets so can have the bunsters in during the winter or if theyre ill if needs be :D

We said it was ok because we both work and they come every 12 weeks so not prepared to waste 4 days holiday each year waiting for them to come and snoop :roll: we move in 2 weeks cant wait, no more housechecks and theyre fine with pets so can have the bunsters in during the winter or if theyre ill if needs be :D

Oh I totally know the stress of not being allowed buns! It's a lot of stress off your shoulders when you move :) x

ooo I'm glad I'm not the only one! :lol: He said we could have them but ***not*** in the house. Woops - lol I can't bear to put them out - and really, to be honest, (touch wood) they're very good - they've not (touch wood!!!!) chewed anything (all our own furniture anyway) so he shouldn't mind - but he's so houseproud - I was suprised he said we could have them outside to be honest.

We decided to shorten their playtime early the night before, and put them in their cage inside so I can clean very thoroughly! (Very annoying because he's coming with a plumber to check the gas so will be coming again in a few weeks to check the house grrr) and them hurry them out to the shed before work - time for one last sweep up lol.

The OH will be at home so he'll know that he's been etc.

oh I'm so nervous! haha but you're right yaretzi - I'm a worrier! Especially about my bunnies!

I worried so much on their first night here that they might be cold! haha!

Thanks everyone!

Right - Operation tidy up!

And my dad just bought a great load of 'stuff'!!! to sell on ebay for him! Fishing rods and allsorts - great timing dad!

Back