• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

160mm pipe for tunnels?

Hello,
I would really appreciate some advice on whether 160mm plastic pipes would be suitable to use for rabbit 'tunnels'?

I've not owned a rabbit since I was a child (I'm now nearly 40!) - but we plan to get two bonded, older rabbits from a rescue center after we have finished constructing their housing. We have a have a playhouse which I have 'bunnyproofed' with a small run attached. We would like the rabbits to have permanent access to a large run, but the only space we have in the garden to put a large run is about 6 meters away from the play house.

I thought that perhaps we could join the two areas with some 160mm pipe, and the rabbits would like this?

My concerns are that perhaps 160mm is not big enough???, and also, if the two rabbits were to meet coming from opposite directions - would this be a problem - can they/do they have issues going backwards in pipes.

You can get 200mm pipes but these are super expensive compared to 160mm pipes.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Jo

This is part of one of my boarding hutches with attatched runs
dfhno7.jpg
the tubing is from the runaround and is 15.5 cm wide http://www.runaround.co.uk/runaround/Products.html

These are average medium sized bunnies in the picture and they can easily get into the tunnels. My suggestion would be to get a cardboard box and cut a hole the size of the tube and pop them in the box and see if they can get out through the hole.

With regard to two bunnies meeting, I have never had a problem however if they did they should be able to back up the pipe. The tube sold by this company does have holes in it for air to circulate if one of them does descide to take a nap in it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've spent hours trawling the internet looking for some products like these!!. I did consider using air ducting tubes at one point, but I wasn't sure if the rabbits could bite their way out or if the plastics could harm them if they nibbled them, so these products which are specifically for rabbits look great!.

Do you think that the flexible tubing would be OK to join two runs not inside a cage (could a fox chew his way through them to get to the rabbits??)

thanks again :)

I have 16 cm wide duct pipes in all my set ups apart from with my rex as she is a big rabbit. They all get through them fine and love hiding in them. You can get the pipes really cheap on ebay. I think for 1 metre long it was £5.99 and for 50cm £2.99 (then a delivery charge). The seller is great as he reduces your postage if you buy multiple ones. So now I have about 10! :) If you want his seller name, let me know. These tunnels are very sturdy and made of thick, no bendable plastic.

The runabout ones are pretty strong and I woudl be surprised if anything could chew through them.

I have 16 cm wide duct pipes in all my set ups apart from with my rex as she is a big rabbit. They all get through them fine and love hiding in them. You can get the pipes really cheap on ebay. I think for 1 metre long it was £5.99 and for 50cm £2.99 (then a delivery charge). The seller is great as he reduces your postage if you buy multiple ones. So now I have about 10! :) If you want his seller name, let me know. These tunnels are very sturdy and made of thick, no bendable plastic.

I'd love the seller name please :love:

Thanks, I've spent hours trawling the internet looking for some products like these!!. I did consider using air ducting tubes at one point, but I wasn't sure if the rabbits could bite their way out or if the plastics could harm them if they nibbled them, so these products which are specifically for rabbits look great!.

Do you think that the flexible tubing would be OK to join two runs not inside a cage (could a fox chew his way through them to get to the rabbits??)

thanks again :)

The ones they sell are apparently double walled, for extra security. They're very strong, with all my pressure and weight I can't really de-form it much, so I think a fox would have a tough time getting through.

That tubing would definitely be okay to join the two runs, or a run and a shed, etc :) That's my plan! I am trying to decide between giving them full 24/7 access or whether to block off the tube/run at night though. We don't have foxes where I live, but since you do I'd say shut the run/tube off at night and open it when it's light, for extra piece of mind against Mr Foxy :)

Hi there :wave:
I'm after piping for tunnels too. Would you mind letting me know who this is please? I've just had a look and can't find anything that fits this description - 6m lengths only.
Thanks!
Debs

Sorry, only just come back on here. Yes, that's the company. And he is really good at giving you a postage rebate if you buy multiple items. He does 1m lengths and shorter ones. I have 12. :D

Run Pipe details

Hi Mike here

Could you please let me have the seller name for the duct pipe for our bunnies.

Many thanks

Mike

Back