• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

will neutering help.....??

vicki.mac

New Kit
my male rabbit insists on humping my poor dog and spraying wee everywhere! im thinking about getting him neutered, will this stop or at least help with these problems? he has run of the garden but if i cant stop the humping i will have to put him ina run, which i really dont want to do!!:cry:

hi. :wave:
yes it will help.......it will take a good few weeks for his homones to die down tho. :D

Yep it should help, although if he has been left unneutered for a long time some of the behaviour may have become habitual rather than hormonal. The humping should stop at least, as he must be very sexually frustrated right now. So definately get him neutered, and as soon as possible.

eta- you should start to see a reduction in the hormone-induced behaviour by 6 weeks after neutering, but it could take longer to stop.

Last edited:
thank you both!!

he is only about a year old so hopefully the behaviour isn't too well embedded in him! lol!

will definitely get him neutered and then hopefully Bunny and my bichon, Tilly can live in harmony once more! Tilly is completely white and fluffy and where Bunny keeps spraying wee up her, she had redish streaks over her!!

definatley it will help, cant say to what degree but it will do. :) Takes up to 6 weeks for the calming down part though.

glad you have the neutering sorted out :)

when you say free run of the garden, do you have security in place to ensure predators like foxes and cats can't get in? :wave:

he only has free run of the garden when im home which is almost all the time as am stay at home mum! but when i do go out i put him in his hutch. he has dug a nice burrow under my OH's shed and i have seen him bolt under there a couple of times when he gets spooked so he has a safe place he can get to easily :D

Yes I would have him done. My neutered boy Ollie is ever so curious but really well behaved. If he's that much trouble and it's going to effect how free he is I'd start looking for an appointment time:wave:

am already looking into getting him an appointment as me or the dog cant take any more! lol!

am hoping the vet will do some sort of payment plan? has anyone had any experience with this? :?

Back