• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and Rabbits

Rabbits can kill another, shall we just all have single bunnies now?
Also, by putting them in the garden we putting them at risk to foxes, shall we just all have single house bunnies now?
Also, in the house they may accidently chew a wire, have a heavy object dropped on them, fall from a height, shall we just all have no bunnies at all now?

Rabbits can kill another, shall we just all have single bunnies now?
Also, by putting them in the garden we putting them at risk to foxes, shall we just all have single house bunnies now?
Also, in the house they may accidently chew a wire, have a heavy object dropped on them, fall from a height, shall we just all have no bunnies at all now?

Rabbits are the same species, they understand each other. When they are upset or grumpy they recognise this and will leave each other alone. Rabbits also don't play fight like dogs and cats do. Rabbits also couldn't fit each other in their mouths. They can't kill each other instantly with a SINGLE BITE.

If you live in an area with fox problems no, you shouldn't get any new rabbits and keep them outdoors.

And no, you shouldn't keep rabbits in rooms with exposed electricity cables.

:wave:
Good luck with your search for a dog.
As you can see from here, there are many of us with dogs, cats, rabbits who dont have any problems.
Please dont be put off by people who have never been in the position of owning a dog.

Rabbits are the same species, they understand each other. When they are upset or grumpy they recognise this and will leave each other alone. Rabbits also don't play fight like dogs and cats do. Rabbits also couldn't fit each other in their mouths. They can't kill each other instantly with a SINGLE BITE.

If you live in an area with fox problems no, you shouldn't get any new rabbits and keep them outdoors.

And no, you shouldn't keep rabbits in rooms with exposed electricity cables.

Almost all areas have foxes :?

Accidents happen. Whether it's you, another member of your family or another visitor to the house.

I seriously don't understand the reason why anyone would want a species of animal that could kill their other pets. In my opinion it's just being selfish and just wanting "one of those".

Put your rabbits needs ahead of your own silly fad wishes.

ps I like dogs, they are just 100% unsuitable for anyone who keeps rabbits.

Well in that case, I'd better get rid of my rabbits :roll: my greyhounds are sure to eat them ;) and the dogs are more important than the rabbits!

All animals can get along in the right circumstances. I've seen so many lovely pictures of people's rabbits with dogs and cats. Obviously you can't expect it to work and you have to be very careful.

My friend was paranoid about her rabbit being in the garden because a white cat kept on coming in. One day she decided to watch and see what happened instead of scaring off the cat. The cat and the rabbit approached each other with caution. They both put their heads down and sniffed each other. Then her rabbit started grooming the cat and it lay down on the floor. :love:

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUV1oTciznE

All animals can get along in the right circumstances. I've seen so many lovely pictures of people's rabbits with dogs and cats.
People don't post photos when things go wrong so you're just seeing one side of the equation. The other side is dead rabbits.

People don't post photos when things go wrong so you're just seeing one side of the equation. The other side is dead rabbits.

Thank you for only half quoting me and leaving off the part that says you can't expect it to work.

But i'm fairly sure the people (on RU at least) have never had an accident like this happen, or they would stop letting their dogs and rabbits be around each other, and that they've also kept dogs and rabbits for quite some time.

I see where you are coming from and that you feel strongly about it, but I don't believe just because you own rabbits that you shouldn't have a dog. It is entirely possible for the dog to be kept away from the rabbits and have no contact at all.

So...in this day and age ALL rabbits should be kept indoors as i doubt there's an area that doesn't have it's fox population...whether seen or not.

In that case there's going to be a lot of bunnies needing rehoming including mine. :(

So...in this day and age ALL rabbits should be kept indoors as i doubt there's an area that doesn't have it's fox population...whether seen or not.

In that case there's going to be a lot of bunnies needing rehoming including mine. :(
If you live in an area where you have never known foxes then it's fine to keep them outdoors as long as they are properly secure.
But if you know there are foxes that come into your garden you shouldn't get any more but you should take extra measures to protect them.
I haven't advocated anyone getting rid of their pets. But when you don't have a dog, you shouldn't get one. There is no reason to. There are plenty of other pets you can get that don't threaten your rabbits.

Just added a new member to our dog pack on Saturday. We now have 6 dogs.

Our 2 terriers are not allowed time in the garden when buns are free ranging but the other 3 are fine. We will be introducing our new pup to buns this weekend.

6 dogs, 2 buns, 1 garden.......we make it work & our buns are very content. Even when the dogs stick their noses up against the run mesh. :)

dogs and bunies

i have a staffordshire bull terrier and a jack russell.my two are awesome with my rabbit.all lie on the rug by the fire and sleep.
like my hubby said, if the dogs see the rabbit indoors they will take to it better because they see it as another pack member.it worked out true on our two.we had a kitten here before and my staff loved him to bits lol.
just common sense and a firm training of the dog.give it clear boundaries concerning the bunny.it should be ok but just be cautious and never leave them alone.(obvious i know but worth pointing out anyway). best of luck xx

Most dogs could kill every other pet if they turned, or a child. So basically, to have a dog by your standards you must not have any other pets or any children.
I have rabbits, cats, hamsters and a bird... My cats could kill the lot pretty quickly if they wanted to but, if you're careful it is a minute risk

I have cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, hamsters an siblings!

the rabbits,dogs and cats all get on! they clean each other and sleep next to each other, and are very protetive of each other!

yet obviously if a cat saw a hamster out loose its nateral the cat would want to hunt it, but I make sure their cages are padlocked and waited down!

as long as you take the right safety measures everything will be fine!

If you live in an area where you have never known foxes then it's fine to keep them outdoors as long as they are properly secure.
But if you know there are foxes that come into your garden you shouldn't get any more but you should take extra measures to protect them.
I haven't advocated anyone getting rid of their pets. But when you don't have a dog, you shouldn't get one. There is no reason to. There are plenty of other pets you can get that don't threaten your rabbits.

Having recently researched into statistics and discovered that, in this country, 1 dog EVERY HOUR is put to sleep simply because it has nowhere to go, I would never be able to love with myself if I did not have at least 1 dog in my home. Paul and I love dogs, we can provide them with a wonderful home and everything they need. By your reasoning, even though we can provide a dog with all those things, we shouldn't get one because we have rabbits and guinea pigs. If everyone thought that way, just imagine how many more animals would lose their lives!!! :shock::shock::shock: And think how many wonderful homes would be missed!

Equally, we adore rabbits and guinea pigs and will always have them in our lives.

I would NEVER put any species of animal I have in danger intentionally. Our dogs are trained to respect our other animals.

I think you are very closed minded with your views. I could quite easily kill one of my guinea pigs by stepping on it accidently - should I not be allowed to have them as pets?!

Unless you keep the buns locked away completely from the dog there will always be a risk that the dog, however well behaved, might turn on them. Yes it could be a small risk, but it is still a risk.

We used to have tibetan terriers who were allowed to mix with our bunny and guineas, supervised, and they were usually very gentle with Japser (bun) and the piggies. However, a sparrow once got trapped inside the house, it flew in thew the window. Frankie was on it in a second and the little bird was gone, just like that.

One day Jasper escaped into our back garden. My parents didn't realise and let the dogs out to run around. Frankie came trotting back down the garden with Jasper in his mouth! :shock: Dad thought Frankie had killed him. Jasper was unharmed thankfully and was no worse for wear. I don't know if that was just luck or if Frankie was just treating him like a lost puppy.

Having recently researched into statistics and discovered that, in this country, 1 dog EVERY HOUR is put to sleep simply because it has nowhere to go, I would never be able to love with myself if I did not have at least 1 dog in my home. Paul and I love dogs, we can provide them with a wonderful home and everything they need. By your reasoning, even though we can provide a dog with all those things, we shouldn't get one because we have rabbits and guinea pigs. If everyone thought that way, just imagine how many more animals would lose their lives!!! :shock::shock::shock: And think how many wonderful homes would be missed!

Equally, we adore rabbits and guinea pigs and will always have them in our lives.

I would NEVER put any species of animal I have in danger intentionally. Our dogs are trained to respect our other animals.

I think you are very closed minded with your views. I could quite easily kill one of my guinea pigs by stepping on it accidently - should I not be allowed to have them as pets?!
You could have saved a different pet from being put down. If you had taken in more rabbits instead of a dog maybe you would have saved their lives.

No, you shouldn't keep guinea pigs on a floor you walk on, seems a bit silly. I'm not saying rabbits have to live without risk. We all live with risk. I am saying you shouldn't introduce unnecessary risks. Getting a dog you don't already have or need is adding a risk.

Back