Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and Rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by Stator View Post

If you live in an area with fox problems no, you shouldn't get any new rabbits and keep them outdoors.

So...in this day and age ALL rabbits should be kept indoors as i doubt there's an area that doesn't have it's fox population...whether seen or not.

In that case there's going to be a lot of bunnies needing rehoming including mine.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post
    So...in this day and age ALL rabbits should be kept indoors as i doubt there's an area that doesn't have it's fox population...whether seen or not.

In that case there's going to be a lot of bunnies needing rehoming including mine.
    If you live in an area where you have never known foxes then it's fine to keep them outdoors as long as they are properly secure.
    But if you know there are foxes that come into your garden you shouldn't get any more but you should take extra measures to protect them.
    I haven't advocated anyone getting rid of their pets. But when you don't have a dog, you shouldn't get one. There is no reason to. There are plenty of other pets you can get that don't threaten your rabbits.
    Tim

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mattyp View Post
    But i'm fairly sure the people (on RU at least) have never had an accident like this happen, or they would stop letting their dogs and rabbits be around each other, and that they've also kept dogs and rabbits for quite some time.
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...7&postcount=28
    I also remember other stories and close calls, but don't remember enough of the details to search.
    Tim

Just added a new member to our dog pack on Saturday. We now have 6 dogs.

Our 2 terriers are not allowed time in the garden when buns are free ranging but the other 3 are fine. We will be introducing our new pup to buns this weekend.

6 dogs, 2 buns, 1 garden.......we make it work & our buns are very content. Even when the dogs stick their noses up against the run mesh.
    Owner of 2 French Lops - Gloria & Mitchell

Rodge, Orla, Sookie & Peggy.......I hope you are enjoying bunny heaven. xxxx

Default dogs and bunies

i have a staffordshire bull terrier and a jack russell.my two are awesome with my rabbit.all lie on the rug by the fire and sleep.
    like my hubby said, if the dogs see the rabbit indoors they will take to it better because they see it as another pack member.it worked out true on our two.we had a kitten here before and my staff loved him to bits lol.
    just common sense and a firm training of the dog.give it clear boundaries concerning the bunny.it should be ok but just be cautious and never leave them alone.(obvious i know but worth pointing out anyway). best of luck xx

Most dogs could kill every other pet if they turned, or a child. So basically, to have a dog by your standards you must not have any other pets or any children.
    I have rabbits, cats, hamsters and a bird... My cats could kill the lot pretty quickly if they wanted to but, if you're careful it is a minute risk
    Charlie the bunny
    Puddy & Buggly & Sabrina the cats
    Willow the cockatiel
    Rhod & Ryan & Ed & Brad & Wayne the rats

Warren Veteran

I have cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, hamsters an siblings!

the rabbits,dogs and cats all get on! they clean each other and sleep next to each other, and are very protetive of each other!

yet obviously if a cat saw a hamster out loose its nateral the cat would want to hunt it, but I make sure their cages are padlocked and waited down!

as long as you take the right safety measures everything will be fine!
    Emma x

9 Cats- Mr Tigs, Lola, Ruby, Darcy, Tubs, Thomas, Bear Bear, Minnie and Derek
    3 Rabbits- Daisy, Matilda and Grayson
    5 Chickens- Hetti, Martha, Gwendolyn, Dorris and Frieda
    6 Dogs- Two family Labradors- Poppy and Lily, and 3 pugzus Elsie, Dolly and Mabel and a blind pug called Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by Stator View Post
    If you live in an area where you have never known foxes then it's fine to keep them outdoors as long as they are properly secure.
    But if you know there are foxes that come into your garden you shouldn't get any more but you should take extra measures to protect them.
    I haven't advocated anyone getting rid of their pets. But when you don't have a dog, you shouldn't get one. There is no reason to. There are plenty of other pets you can get that don't threaten your rabbits.
    Having recently researched into statistics and discovered that, in this country, 1 dog EVERY HOUR is put to sleep simply because it has nowhere to go, I would never be able to love with myself if I did not have at least 1 dog in my home. Paul and I love dogs, we can provide them with a wonderful home and everything they need. By your reasoning, even though we can provide a dog with all those things, we shouldn't get one because we have rabbits and guinea pigs. If everyone thought that way, just imagine how many more animals would lose their lives!!! And think how many wonderful homes would be missed!

Equally, we adore rabbits and guinea pigs and will always have them in our lives.

I would NEVER put any species of animal I have in danger intentionally. Our dogs are trained to respect our other animals.

I think you are very closed minded with your views. I could quite easily kill one of my guinea pigs by stepping on it accidently - should I not be allowed to have them as pets?!
    Erin and Paul - Bunny Mummy and Daddy to: Moley and Squirrel / Uno, Pico and Amelie / Bea, Florrie, Archie and Reggie / Pancake and Billy / Penny and Albie / Geronimo, Solomon and Luna

Binky free our beautiful Louis and Lilia - until we meet again. xxx

http://www.wagnwoof.co.uk/

Unless you keep the buns locked away completely from the dog there will always be a risk that the dog, however well behaved, might turn on them. Yes it could be a small risk, but it is still a risk.

We used to have tibetan terriers who were allowed to mix with our bunny and guineas, supervised, and they were usually very gentle with Japser (bun) and the piggies. However, a sparrow once got trapped inside the house, it flew in thew the window. Frankie was on it in a second and the little bird was gone, just like that.

One day Jasper escaped into our back garden. My parents didn't realise and let the dogs out to run around. Frankie came trotting back down the garden with Jasper in his mouth! Dad thought Frankie had killed him. Jasper was unharmed thankfully and was no worse for wear. I don't know if that was just luck or if Frankie was just treating him like a lost puppy.
    OI000001.jpg by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Buuny_Friend View Post
    Having recently researched into statistics and discovered that, in this country, 1 dog EVERY HOUR is put to sleep simply because it has nowhere to go, I would never be able to love with myself if I did not have at least 1 dog in my home. Paul and I love dogs, we can provide them with a wonderful home and everything they need. By your reasoning, even though we can provide a dog with all those things, we shouldn't get one because we have rabbits and guinea pigs. If everyone thought that way, just imagine how many more animals would lose their lives!!! And think how many wonderful homes would be missed!

Equally, we adore rabbits and guinea pigs and will always have them in our lives.

I would NEVER put any species of animal I have in danger intentionally. Our dogs are trained to respect our other animals.

I think you are very closed minded with your views. I could quite easily kill one of my guinea pigs by stepping on it accidently - should I not be allowed to have them as pets?!
    You could have saved a different pet from being put down. If you had taken in more rabbits instead of a dog maybe you would have saved their lives.

No, you shouldn't keep guinea pigs on a floor you walk on, seems a bit silly. I'm not saying rabbits have to live without risk. We all live with risk. I am saying you shouldn't introduce unnecessary risks. Getting a dog you don't already have or need is adding a risk.
    Tim