Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs and Rabbits

Default Dogs and Rabbits

Well, after much deliberation.... the OH and I have decided that a dog may be on the cards in the not too distant future

Now.... the main concern is, obviously, the bunnies. My other dogs (live at my parents) are terriers and were always kept WELL clear of the bunnies when I lived at home as I just couldn't risk them meeting each other (both of them showed natural hunting instinct). I think this has made me quite wary of getting a dog but I know that some of you on here have dogs that live very happily with rabbits!

My question is... how do I go about choosing a dog that will not be a danger to my bunnies?

I figured that terriers are a 'no go' but are there any particular breeds that can be trusted more with rabbits than others?

Also, I would definitely be going for an adult rescue dog, so I wouldn't be able to rain it from a young age to adapt to the buns.... will this be a problem?

Thanks for your help

Don't totally rule out a terrier - I have a terrier, a whippet, a collie and a cavalier - all living in harmony with rabbits and guineas (..and ratties.. and chinchillas.. and cats..)!

Well done you for choosing to home an adult dog via Rescue

Many dogs are fostered within 'muti animal' families - when I foster a dog, I can judge how well a dog will live alongside other animals, obviously - so can pass that valuble info back to the Rescue and Adoptee..

Once you've decided what type/size dog you are looking for - then find a good Rescue that assesses their dogs' well. Hoepfully you will be matched to a dog in foster that is living in a similar lifestyle to your own..

Best of luck xx

Hope you find a doggy that can live with the bunnies

This is a good site for rescues http://www.dogsblog.com/

Binky free my gorgeous Muffin. 10 Dec 2003- 4th August 2011

We had our rabbits before the dog too - but he is a jack russell cross fox terrier! We got Benedict (the dog) as a puppy so that he would grow up alongside the rabbits. He loves the rabbits and has been known to sleep next to the house rabbit and give her a wash. I don't go out and leave the rabbits and dog together but I will quite happily pop into the garden, cook the tea, have a shower, etc and leave them alone.

My OH has a bull terrier cross (she's long and leggy not short and stocky, very beautiful). She isn't interested in Buckley. We introduced them, Missy sniffed at the cage and walked off.
    We keep the bunny's room shut off and keep Missy downstairs if we're all out.
    Missy really hasn't shown any interest in Buckley at all. xoxo

Ollie 1998 - 2012 Au Revoir Monsieur, Je T'aime <3

I have 2 dogs...a terrier and a cross whippet.

the terrier is fine with bunny Ruby. He lets her walk all over him and she pesters the life out of him sometimes.

My other dog is a different case altogether. She has a strong hunting instinct..... when I walk them early in the morning often chases rabbits. she is not to be trusted with Ruby at all!

I'd find out as much as pos about the rescue dog and maybe go for one that has a known history rather than...like my whippet cross....was found wandering.

Sometimes an older person has had to give up a loved pet through ill health and you may find a dog from those circumstances a lot calmer.

Whatever kind of dog you have you need to be constantly on the alert to head off any accidents

Wise Old Thumper Georgeypudding's Avatar

deffinatly dont rule terriers out, we have a jack russelxparson terrier, who seems to of been bred for rabbit or rat hunting and although she shows a great interest in the rabbits, and I wouldnt trust them out alone she is great! I can sit with a bunny on my knee and she will sit nicely with me they also play games together

Thanks for your replies. I love terriers so would love to have one! I am sensing it is more to do with the personality and nature of the dog than the actual breed.

Looking at those that have been fostered is a really good idea!

This boy is GORGEOUS and would be ideal!

Shame he is so far away

http://www.dogsblog.com/robbie-20/

Cavaliers are a good easy breed, who usually are happy go lucky and will live with anything. Of course that's a general rule, but they are often very soft There's also lots of them in rescue. However they have a lot of health problems, not sure if you would want to take the risk.

Spider is a border collie and has always learnt that bunnies are his friends, and he has only ever tried to herd them!
    Hetty...

My Heart Has Joined the Thousand, For My Friend Stopped Running Today.
    Have fun at the bridge my gorgeous Gabriel and Benji. Scarlett will look after you x x