• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccines

Vaccines

• Myxi

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • VHD

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters
Absolutely this!

I am glad you said for health reasons. Tulip has never been vacs for VHD as she is too ill, since being on steroids she can't have the myxi vacs either. I would give an awful lot for her to be able to have these jabs, and it confuses/upsets me why some people don't.

Yes. I know this all too well. Ginger can't have her myxi booster atm, she's too poorly, it could trigger the end for her if she had it. So we run the risk also.

and :thumb: at the bolded comment.

Could you 'hint' and remind her? I said this to a friend recently that I had seen had a rabbit, but we hadnt spoken for years, I said 'hey, do you still have a rabbit? Dont know if youve heard but just thought I'd warn you that there's been a few VHD outbreaks recently, so you might want to make sure he/she's up to date with vaccinations :) xx'
as it assumes she will want to vaccinate, it makes her feel like it is the norm to do it, and therefore that it would be abnormal or bad for her not to. It assumes that it is not an option. (I'm an English student, I put way too much thought into that facebook message!)

i do but it just doesn;t sink in :roll: :cry:

It is so stressful having a poorly bun and trying to decide whether to vaccinate or not. If Sue dies of VHD I will feel so guilty, but I also respect my vet's recommendations. She was fine after her myxi so part of me does wonder if he is being over-cautious, but she is so thin now I wouldn't want to risk anything to stress her system any further.

As I have 7 rabbits living together as a group it'd definitely be VHD, however, they are vacc'd against both

It is so stressful having a poorly bun and trying to decide whether to vaccinate or not. If Sue dies of VHD I will feel so guilty, but I also respect my vet's recommendations. She was fine after her myxi so part of me does wonder if he is being over-cautious, but she is so thin now I wouldn't want to risk anything to stress her system any further.

I think the VHD vacs is much more stressful for a rabbit than the Myxi one. Tulip used to be able to have the myxi vacs but never the VHD one.

I have just booked my soon to be 9 week old mini lop in for these vaccinations next week. Im really worried! How do your bunnies react to having them? Is it stressful for them? He's so small I feel mean but I know its so important and he means the world to us :D xx

mixi- vhd kills fast even though neither are preferable- mixi is long drawn out death and i have seen mixi its awful.

If I couldn't afford to fully vaccinate my animals I wouldn't have them - it's it's just irresponsible... :evil:

I have just booked my soon to be 9 week old mini lop in for these vaccinations next week. Im really worried! How do your bunnies react to having them? Is it stressful for them? He's so small I feel mean but I know its so important and he means the world to us :D xx

good luck, most bunnies don't bother with injections :wave:

I know that this is an old thread and what i am going to post may be controversial however having had both VHD and Myxi in my rabbits i would choose the myxi jab every time. VHD whilst a horrible death is extremely quick, myxi is slow and painful, a VHD jab is 100% effective and should there be VHD within an area if your rabbit is vaccinated it will not get it, Myxi is not 100% however it can be the difference between certain death and a rabbit pulling through, it can also make the difference between full blown myxi and nodular myxi (both of which i have had in my rabbits) and both the rabbits which contracted it survived, from my rabbits which contracted VHD none survived, but they also did not have to go through months of pain and treatment.

Back