• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need greens everyday? Discuss.

No, they dont need greens every day :wave:

But they do add an interest to their lives, i guess its the same as living on one or two things for us, it'd be boring, but we'd survive :)

Do you just mean like green veg or things like herbs that are green? :oops:

Mine get fresh veg every day. Sometimes its kale or spring greens but not every single day, I vary it so they don't have to eat the same thing every day

A taster of what my lot get per pair twice a day.
SDC15838.jpg

Sometimes I scatter it sometimes I leave it on the tray since they mug me for it before I have chance to scatter. Excuse the dried dandelion mess and that stray poop by Lola! :oops:

Ogs has some 5-6 times a week. The amount he has maybe different each time but he will have some greens 5 or 6 days aswell as having endless hay and a handful of pellets. He does very well on this and is very healthy :wave:

Do you just mean like green veg or things like herbs that are green? :oops:

Mine get fresh veg every day. Sometimes its kale or spring greens but not every single day, I vary it so they don't have to eat the same thing every day

Oh I mean veg in general. It's just the strong majority of what I feed my bunnies is green.

I suppose what I mean is FRESH stuff as opposed to DRIED stuff.

I think ideally they would have grass & wild stuff every day as in the wild even in winter thats what they'd be nibbling on. So some sort of green stuff may be the next best thing (for buns who can tolerate them). Mine are outdoors and have continued to nibble on frosty frozen stuff a bit each day over the winter, with extra veg, mostly green stuff, added. (and tons of hay, obviously)
But with domesticated buns they seem prone to so many more problems so we have to be careful, one size doesn;'t fit all as far as feeding is concerned.

(so thankful I have 2 cast iron bunny tums):rabbit2:

I give my two veg every morning, and 25g of pellets..

They get brocolli, carrot, spring greens (or cabbage - i vary this), apple and usually something else (they had a bit of strawberry this morning as a treat).

Then they have their unlimited hay (just put them onto burgess hay with dandlion and they LOVE IT!).

I don't tend to give them anything in the evening as they weren't eating it.

We put their pellets into treat balls tho, so they have something to play with.

they also eat my hebe bush and grass when they are out lol (every morning and every evening)

I give mine fresh veg every day.

As they eat a mostly dry diet of hay and pellets, the moisture in the veg helps keep the guts moving, imo.

In the wild a rabbit wouldn't choose to eat only dried foods, but would forage for fresh every day, and I think its important to keep as close to their natural habits as possible.

Mine get fed fresh veggies twice a day - morning and night.

They would go mad if I didn't give it to them, one I open the door to feed them all I can see is them throwing themselves up the sides of there cages for the veggies LOL..

Infact one of my rabbits actually NEEDS his veggies. Once in the blue moon I'd run out of veggies so they would go a day without them or only have a small amount and If Dexter doesn't get his portion size of veggies he will stop eatting his pellets and hay. He liturelly will not eat hay and pellets untill he gets them first and once he has the veggies he will eat everything else then LOL.. Its wierd.​

Mine get a variety of greens/herbs 6 days a week, I too would be killed if I didn't give them :lol: I only give fruit and carrot on special occasions!

Back