• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What has your rabbit taught you?

I had never had a rabbit until one of my cats stole a baby bun from a neighbours hutch and brought him home to kill. We rescued him unharmed and fell in love with him. He became our baby, our little Bungle Bunny. He loved us as much as we loved him. he sat on our knee every night and shared himself equaly between us. We scoured the net and learned everything we possibly could about buns and as a result he had the best life possible.

When he reached the right age, we got him a girly bun and took him off to the vets to make sure that he had the chance to live with her. What amazed me was after all the scary stories we had read about bonding, it was clear that it was love at first sight with them. They were together for only one night before he went off to the vets.

We got the call when we were expecting to pick him up only to be told that he had died on the table.

We were distraught, horrified, grief ridden and at first my OH said that we should send Emily back, but I thought that Bungle had come into our life for a reason and that we should remember everything we had learned about the sad life of so many buns.

So, we decided that we should keep Emily, we got Muffin for her and saw first hand the horrors of bonding, but it worked in the end and they truely love each other.

We now have 6 bunnies, 4 shed babies and 2 house buns. They run our life, its a constant round of building bigger, better runs and set ups for them. Swapping them round for free range garden time and spending a fortune on the best hay and food you can buy.

Sorry for the long post but... Thanks Bungle, you taught us everything we need to know about loving buns. xx Binky free my baby, we still love you and think about you every day

Ruby when she came to me was a nervous wreck.she has taught me about the love and care a rabbit can give and how to trust. sounds odd but through me trusting her and letting her do her own thing she has learnt to trust me, she now in a short space of 3 months comes to be and asks for grooming.

Jay has taught me just how rewarding and naughty a cute fluffball can be and how neutering your rabbit can calm it and hopefully make a cute and adorable companion.

Ruby when she came to me was a nervous wreck.she has taught me about the love and care a rabbit can give and how to trust. sounds odd but through me trusting her and letting her do her own thing she has learnt to trust me, she now in a short space of 3 months comes to be and asks for grooming.

aww thats so lovely :)

Norris and Narla have taught me about the patience needed to make a long-term relationship work.

Norris is a grumpy so-and-so but Narla puts up with him. They are fully free-ranging house bunnies and Narla goes upstairs for 'me' time when Norris is mean. Norris is frightened of the stairs so she has the spare room to herself!

I have phoned my Mum and my sister this week.

My Mum is very proud of her grandbuns and although I never imagined that it would happen the bunnies are allowed to fully free range at my parents. We put a big litter tray down in the sitting room and the rabbits have a lovely time, especially when my Dad has lit the open fire. I have a great pic of Norris lying out in front of it!

My Mum tells everyone how much rabbits need company of their own kind and casts a critical eye over hutch sizes. My sister slept on the sofa at Christmas and said in the morning it was such a privilege to watch the rabbits playing at night. She told me yesterday that she had seen some rabbits and guinea pigs in a tiny tank in a garden centre yesterday and that she was thinking of e-mailing and complaining.

That the love you can get from them and give to them is un-comparable.

That they are very easily hurt.

That you can become so attached, they become like children.

Pearl taught me not to fear tomorrow, altho death was coming to her, she enjoyed every second of her life.

so i must from now on enjoy their life with them instead of worrying about the what ifs.

:wave: My buns have taught me NEVER to put a run on grass & leave them unsupervised. Whatever space we give them they always want more & what buns want they usually get! As Rosie did - digging a mammoth size hole in the middle of the garden then having me running round like a headless chicken trying to catch her!! :roll:

I have also learnt what funny little personalities they have & that no 2 buns are the same :D

Also, that my supermarket trolley looks very healthy until I get home and realise most of the veg is for the girls!! :lol:

Pearl taught me not to fear tomorrow, altho death was coming to her, she enjoyed every second of her life.

so i must from now on enjoy their life with them instead of worrying about the what ifs.

That really rings true to me; whether a bun is poorly or not we just have to enjoy the time we spend with them.

Its ('its' being owning rabbits) taught me what love feels like. Its taught me responsibility and focus.

Its also taught me nonjudgemental, unconditional love, and that I can be loved. Its taught me that somebun will be there if I need them (although he is now gone, oh the irony) and its also taught me how much people suck.

Its also taught me I can be worth something.

They are the best ceatures in the world.
I can honestly say they have taught me how to love again.
I worship the ground they run on.
I just no they love me back.
They make every day an enjoyable one.
And my first thought every morning is i need to go and see them.:love::love:

I think you get rabbits or you don't....
To me its never 'just a rabbit'
When I look at Tilly who was left with no food and eventually dug and chewed her way out of her hutch and then was running round for ages in the middle of an housing estate until someone managed to catch her and take her to a rescue.
I can't believe how trusting she is now (she still has her stressy moments) and the pleasure I get from her is immense. I find it unbelievable that her first owners did'nt want her, because she is such a sweet and beautiful little soul, its their loss, but sadly they would never have the insight to realise it.
Most people on RU have that insight and I think we are very blessed.....

I think you get rabbits or you don't....
To me its never 'just a rabbit'
When I look at Tilly who was left with no food and eventually dug and chewed her way out of her hutch and then was running round for ages in the middle of an housing estate until someone managed to catch her and take her to a rescue.
I can't believe how trusting she is now (she still has her stressy moments) and the pleasure I get from her is immense. I find it unbelievable that her first owners did'nt want her, because she is such a sweet and beautiful little soul, its their loss, but sadly they would never have the insight to realise it.
Most people on RU have that insight and I think we are very blessed.....

Back