• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travel-cot?

lexxiesmith

Young Bun
Right, this is going to be a bizzare one...

My little rescue girl Tessa is due in for her spay on Thursday. I had all intentions on keeping her indoors until I tried her in our indoor hutch the other night.
Completely (somehow) forgetting she is a french lop and pretty big already at 6months, I hadn't even thought the size of the hutch might not be right for her, and after putting her (briefly I might add, to test) in it I couldn't have felt more guilty - it's 4ft long and not nearly tall enough for her to stand on her back legs...

It has always been used for my little lionhead X boy as temp housing should he ever need to stay indoors for whatever reason so he's been fine in it.

Now my issue is this - I cannot afford another indoor hutch... A dog-pen, then you say? Nowhere nearby sells them cheap enough, and although ebay has them cheap nowhere does next day delivery gaurenteeing that I will have it in time for Thursday.

I have been routing around for hours today in the sunshine trying to see if there's anything I could use to block off areas of our 28ft living room (huuuge). But I don't have anything suitable... Then I noticed we have a travel cot spare, which over-turned would be more than big enough for her to stretch out in and stand up on her back legs in.
Now this would ONLY be temporary - for the night times when I am in bed and can't possibly keep an eye on her. The rest of the time she would have FULL RUN of our huge living room and the rest of the house - over the next 4/5days I am working from home so will be in ALL hours.

I know you probably think I'm barmy and I KNOW it's my fault for not realising the hutch would be too small before and it's not ideal... but what is less ideal is putting her back outdoors after her op :(
What do you guys think? (grasping at straws).

This is the kind of travel cot I'm talking about:
http://www.thebabyhirecentre.com/images/Travel_Cot.jpg

And these are dog-pens made from similar material:
http://www.fetchdog.com/images/medium/00154_PopUpPlaypen_Dog_052010.jpg

Last edited:
the mesh on those travelcots do tear very easily, my daughter managed to ladder one badly climbing on it with her boots on, Im racking my brains for you here :wave:

Travel cot is far from ideal but if you have nothing else. Is she a destructa-bun who chews lots or not? Sorry don't know what else to suggest.

I KNOW it's far from ideal... As I said in my post :roll: I'm beating myself up about it enough as it is.
She's a definate scratcher but not so much a nibbler, if as fairy says the mesh is thin, I'm not sure what else to do :(

noooo :(
it's 6ft x 3ft and can't stand alone without the 6ft c 8ft run :(
there's no way my OH would have something that big in the living room :(

What about useing the run?
Can it fold down - then you could half it to start with...if it can fold down - then partition it off....Ive done this in my run - used some trellis - cut it to fit width way sin the run..... attached mesh to the cut trellis with cable ties...then tied it in place where I wanted to section the run off...and it works fine. OR is other bun actually useing it ?:?

The only other thing would be to use the frame of the travel cot - place some ply wood down on the base. Not sure about the sides...
Can the frame just be used?
If so - then get some mesh & cable tie it to the frame...and use something solid for the base....:?;)

Back