• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slightly wet/sticky poo?

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
Peanut has had the odd occasion recently where she's had slightly wet/sticky poo. Not full diarrhea just a wet/sticky pile of normal poos (not ceacotrophs). This isn't all the time though, in fact recently her poos have been bigger than they normally are.

I started a thread not so long ago assuming it might have been some dried plantain that I had introduced to her and I wasn't sure if this had been the cause. No one replied, so I assume no one had had this problem before with plantain or my thread just got lost. I stopped the plantain and she's been fine but then this morning she ran out to her litter tray in the lounge and left this wet pile just in front of it. She seems ok though, she's eaten some pellets and some Timothy hay and she's now throwing a willow basket around the lounge, she's not hunched and doesn't seem to be in pain and has appeared brighter since pooing it out.

I want to try and eliminate any causes, the only other new thing I've introduced lately is some meadow hay, she's always had Timothy. I bought a sample of this meadow hay and both rabbits seemed to really, really like it, so I bought a big bag of it but since buying this big bag, neither rabbit has eaten much of it and Pea especially hasn't taken to it. Roo's poos are the same by the way, no change there.

Could this be anything to do with the hay or does anyone know any other reasons that could cause this? Pea & Roo are being bonded at the end of this month so I want to make sure that I know what the problem is. Also is there something that I can give Peanut to settle her tummy. I have fresh parsley and basil here, would any of these be good to give her?

Can you post a photo of the wet poo (I am not a poo perv, honest :oops:)

Also, is she drinking a lot ?

:lol::lol: I'm digging out the bin now and take a pic, I just need to upload it to photobucket so bear with me for a mo. Thanks for offering to have a look :D

She has been drinking but she's never drunk huge amounts anyway. It's not till I've had Roo that I've noticed a difference, he drinks and wees far more than she does.

Wet sticky poo pic below:

IMG_5685.jpg

Her daily diet is a small amount of pellets, 1/8 of a cup in the morning and in the evening and hay all the time. Every other day she gets a small amount of the following veg: pointed cabbage, couple of basil leaves, parsley and a tiny amount of tender stem broccoli or curly kale 2 or 3 times a week, carrot seems to give her extra ceacotrophs. She didn't have any veg the last couple of evenings though. She also has one fenugreek crunchie and 2-3 carroty treats in the evening, should I cut this out altogether for a bit or reduce the amount?

I've been really slowly introducing her to the SS pellets as she was on Burgess before, I still have some burgess left so she's been having a tiny amount of Burgess and the SS pellets over the last month (1/8 of a cup of both, not each) but she's not fully on the SS yet. Am I doing this too slowly, should I be getting rid of the burgess altogether? I have noticed that since introducing the SS her poos are bigger which is good.

Any advice on her diet would be much appreciated.

She was spayed on 4th January this year and she's going to be one year old later this month. Unfortunately I don't have any fibreplex or brambles, I do have some Avipro plus though, would this be any good?

Thanks for your help Jane

Update: I've noticed that she's nibbled at a piece of velcro off her play tunnel, not sure if she actually ate it but could this have upset her tum if she had?

Last edited:
Firstly I would cut out all treats.
I'd feed just the SS pellets and scrap the Burgess.

If she is a good hay eater and her weight is stable-ie she is not underweight or losing weight then for the next 48 hours I'd feed her just hay and water.

Then in a couple of days try adding one portion- about 10 pellets- of SS.

After another couple of days and if there are no more unformed poos try giving a TINY portion of green Veg. I would not feed any carrot at all.

If you can locate some bramble leaves you could offer her a few of them starting from now.

I would not allow her access to anything like cardboard as Rabbits who's cecum is not functioning 100% well usually crave fibre and will eat all the wrong things such as cardboard, newspaper and even wallpaper off the walls !! This in turn causes additional problems and can result in cecal imapaction.

Hopefully dietary alterations will sort things out for her.

That's great Jane, thanks for the tips. I'm dragging my OH to the woods this afternoon, to go bramble picking that is :lol: he's better with plants than I am.

She's a reasonably good hay eater although doesn't eat half as much as Roo but I'm confident that she eats enough.

I'll keep an eye on her over the next few days and hopefully she'll be fine.

I think this is what Badger is struggling with right now. I feel for you Colyflower beause its difficult to battle. I hope Peanut starts to improve soon :)

Aww thank you, she seems bright enough at the moment she's eating her hay and has just been digging at the bottom of my trouser leg before sitting back down again for a snooze. I've cleared her litter so I can see if she's producing any normal ones. She's always been up and down with her eating, it's hard to keep up with her at times.

Sorry, in my haste to go off bramble picking I forgot to say that I hope Badger is ok as well, I think I've read some of your thread so I'll have a look later for updates :)

Last edited:
Peanut's poos are normal again, in fact they look better than before! :D I placed piles of hay all over my lounge and she spent most of yesterday nibbling on it, she's such a good girl, it's like she knows she's meant to eat more hay. I went and got some bramble leaves as well and eventually ate half a small one. May solid poos continue :D

Peanut's poos are normal again, in fact they look better than before! :D I placed piles of hay all over my lounge and she spent most of yesterday nibbling on it, she's such a good girl, it's like she knows she's meant to eat more hay. I went and got some bramble leaves as well and eventually ate half a small one. May solid poos continue :D

That's great :)

Back