• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baytril dosage

raine

Warren Veteran
Im chirping away on other people's threads about my query and I think its going to get lost, so I thought I would start a separate one.

One of my bunnies went to the emergency vet last weekend and was recommend 0.6 mls of Baytril. Went back to my own vet today and they have now recommended 2.5 mls.

She has mentioned that she remembers that Bristol vet hosp had said that too often vets do not give a high enough dose of Baytril, which is why its not always effective. Bristol had previously treated another one of my incurably ill bunnies with 3 mls of Baytril that they said would not cure, but would hold the infection. This gave this particular bunny 2.5 additional years.

We were trying to work out this morning what the recommended dose per kilo is and I dont know. I know the dose for metacam. I guess one has to think about why the Baytril is being given also, but there has to be a recommended dose. Looking at some other threads, snuffly bunnies are being given varying doses of Baytril and, even allowing for differing weights of bunnies, there is a considerable disparity in the doses.

Does anyone know what the recommended dose is?

Oral dose 10mg/kg/12hrs

Subcutaneous injection 5mg/kg/12hrs OR 10mg/kg/24hrs

Baytril comes in different strengths so before working out how many mls/kg you'd need to know what concentration of Baytril you are giving. 5% OR 2.5% for example :)

Bristol had previously treated another one of my incurably ill bunnies with 3 mls of Baytril that they said would not cure, but would hold the infection.

Sorry to hijack but is is safe for bunnies to be on permanently then? Bluebell has been on it and whilst his improvement is good I wonder what will happen if the infection doesn't go away completely. Can he just be kept comfortable on meds for his remaining years?

Sorry to hijack but is is safe for bunnies to be on permanently then? Bluebell has been on it and whilst his improvement is good I wonder what will happen if the infection doesn't go away completely. Can he just be kept comfortable on meds for his remaining years?

I'm sure it's not healthy to be on Ab/s for any length of time, as the body will just stop reacting to them and they wil no longer work. If he is on baytril and the infection doesn't go away it might be best to ask for a different antibiotic. One of the reasons baytril doesn't often have the desired effect is because it is so widely used the infections become resistant to it and renders it fairly useless.

I'm sure it's not healthy to be on Ab/s for any length of time, as the body will just stop reacting to them and they wil no longer work. If he is on baytril and the infection doesn't go away it might be best to ask for a different antibiotic. One of the reasons baytril doesn't often have the desired effect is because it is so widely used the infections become resistant to it and renders it fairly useless.

Thank you. We have tried other antibiotics. Nebulising the baytril is the only one thats made much difference for him. Since using it he is having more good days than bad and his overall demenour is so much better but we are still having some sneezing so the infection hasn't gone yet. Just wondered how 'safe' it was to keep him on it at the mo. I'm due a bonus soon so thinking I might get a referal to Langford to see if they can offer any more suggestions.

as she was incurable and they gave the meds to simply "hold" the severe infection, I dont think we were talking about years at the time. As its prolonged her life and she has done fine on them, Ive not stopped them. Damned if you do and damned if you dont. I chose to continue and its paid off for her.

Thank you. My vet did advise me it is unlikely Bluebell will ever be cured but if we could manage it with meds she'd be happy only I don't know if she meant he'd be on them all the time or just as an when an infection arises.

I have been given totally different doses from each vets ive been to. Currently my 2.5kg bunny is on 1ml of baytril a day. the 2.5% stuff.

Back