Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do rabbits play dead when scared? WORRIED! HELP!

Young Bun

Default Do rabbits play dead when scared? WORRIED! HELP!

Okay, so I will attempt to explain what Quinn has just frightened me to death by doing...

Our fire alarm has just gone off in the kitchen so I opened the back door to allow air to circulate. The buns hutch and run are bang by my back door. I could hear a lot of thrashing around so ran straight out to see Quinn dive into his moutain of straw in his sleeping quarters bury his head and flop on one side.
    I then tried to comfort him just by stroking but there was no response. His legs and body were all floppy and his eyes were glazed and I honestly, honestly thought he was dead

Began shouting his name and crying and he eventually lifted his head up, obviously then I grabbed him in my arms and walked right down the bottom of the garden with him to get away from the noise of the fire alarm. He was trembling and his heart was going 10 to the dozen.
    When the alarm had finally stopped I brought him inside and he's now hopping around but is flinching at quick movements and noises on the tv.

Just wondering if anyone could suggest what on earth has just happened?
    Do I need to keep a close eye on him?
    Obviously I need to put him back outdoors tonight and I especially don't want him to be scared out there...
    --------------------------------------
    Money in the jukebox, rocks all night, same s**t bands, too much hype!

Hmmm.Sheer fright I think.I havent ever had that response before with my buns.
    I would keep him quiet for a while and give a few nice treats.Im sure he will calm down.
    Failing that, a chat with your vet???
    Sorry Im not much use.xx

Yeah he was playing dead...check out this site for more info. Funny enough you can put your rabbit in this kind of trance so he chills out when you trim his nails.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2099556_trance-rabbit.html

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Yeah he was playing dead...check out this site for more info. Funny enough you can put your rabbit in this kind of trance so he chills out when you trim his nails.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2099556_trance-rabbit.html
    Ugh. Another trance site.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRANCE YOUR RABBIT LIKE THAT.

I could do many things i wont say to people who say this is 'healthy' and 'good for bunny' and think they are 'chilled out'.

This is NOT HEALTHY at all. It actually increases the heart rate, increases hormones and puts the rabbit into an uncontrolled stress state that they cannot control.

Please please please please please please do not do this to any rabbit.

Disclaimer: im nursing a sick bunny right now, so emotions are running high, this is not an attack i just needed you to hear me.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
    Ugh. Another trance site.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRANCE YOUR RABBIT LIKE THAT.

I could do many things i wont say to people who say this is 'healthy' and 'good for bunny' and think they are 'chilled out'.

This is NOT HEALTHY at all. It actually increases the heart rate, increases hormones and puts the rabbit into an uncontrolled stress state that they cannot control.

Please please please please please please do not do this to any rabbit.

Disclaimer: im nursing a sick bunny right now, so emotions are running high, this is not an attack i just needed you to hear me.
    Agree, please don't it is a bunny's ultimate fear response x

ETA there is a lot of incorrect and awful literature and sources out there saying it is ok so it is understandable that new owners think it's ok
    Last edited by Nicola1; 02-03-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Young Bun

I wasn't intending on doing so... Was just worried about my boy and what happened, described above.
    Why I'd ever need to 'trance' him at any rate is beyond me, seems completely un-natural.

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by lexxiesmith View Post
    I wasn't intending on doing so... Was just worried about my boy and what happened, described above.
    Why I'd ever need to 'trance' him at any rate is beyond me, seems completely un-natural.
    This exactly. I think Graham and Nicola were putting a warning for people who may stumble on this thread in search engines and think it's good advice...

Could he have hit his head or something when he was thrashing around?

I've never heard of that happening before? My mum found one of my buns floppy and unresponsive once and picked her up and was calling her name then she came to again but that was heat related mid summer.

Thinking of going Vegan? Well now it couldn't be easier, with The Vegan Pledge scheme.
    The Vegan Sociey will provide you with a vegan pledge pack with recipes and guidance and plenty of support http://www.vegansociety.com/veganpledge/

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_lily View Post
    This exactly. I think Graham and Nicola were putting a warning for people who may stumble on this thread in search engines and think it's good advice...
    Yes we were responding to the poster who said it was a good idea

Young Bun

No sorry, no worries, I didn't mean for that to come across as abruptly as it might have... (how typing can get us into trouble, huh? haha) more that I was confused; it doesn;t take much I definately agree, brilliant advice!