• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tottis ear abscess * he's gone - p46*

while he still has fight I would go with it - Parsley has had his ear abscess (internal deep down inside) for at least 18 months now - probably two years - and when first diagnosed the vet thought he would only last a month or so as t is so intrusive inside - but he is still with us - endless courses of various abx (all the ones you can mention) have done nothing much - but baytril holds it at bay.
That's brilliant and exactly how I feel, thank you. High five for Parsley & Totti :love:

:cry: It is now getting extremely hard and I'm starting to question what I'm doing now, in that am I keeping him going because I love him so. Is it really in his best interests now or am I being selfish? I wish I knew the answer to that one :cry:

For a long time now, I've judged his quality of life by his activity in the garden. Whilst ever he eats like a pig and hops up and down the sleepers onto the grass, I've assumed he's happy. However his head is permanently wonky now and his balance is clearly affected :cry:. He fell off the sleeper yesterday and struggled to right himself :cry:. Seeing him twitch as he tried to right himself was heartbreaking :cry: I've also seen him stumble when hopping out of the litter tray :cry:.

I'm still able to clean out some of the abscesses but other ones are popping up :cry:. He also needs a butt bath every week or so now due to staining/ poo - I'm not surprised his inner workings aren't what they used to be due to the hard core meds he's on.

I thought he was telling me his time was up a week ago when he nuzzled into my chest and licked me :oops: but then he hopped round the garden, happy as larry.

If only they could talk to us.......

I am sorry to hear that Totti is struggling more now :cry:

I know what it is like having to constantly try to assess quality of life and to question ourselves constantly about getting it right. I now rely totally on my Vet with regards to 'the decision', I know she will always make a judgement in the best interests of the Rabbit. I always hope I will too, but I also always have that bit of doubt that I may get it wrong.

Maybe have a long chat with the Vet who knows Totti best and the Vet that you trust ?

Lots of noserubs to brave Totti :love:

I am sorry to hear that Totti is struggling more now :cry:

I know what it is like having to constantly try to assess quality of life and to question ourselves constantly about getting it right. I now rely totally on my Vet with regards to 'the decision', I know she will always make a judgement in the best interests of the Rabbit. I always hope I will too, but I also always have that bit of doubt that I may get it wrong.

Maybe have a long chat with the Vet who knows Totti best and the Vet that you trust ?

Lots of noserubs to brave Totti :love:

Thank you Jane. Talk about a problem shared...... it is comforting to know that someone else shares the same worries and concerns. I'm not sure that it's fair for me to lump this on the Vet? I'd most probably feel resentful to someone that made the decision that I couldn't :oops:. Hope that makes sense.

Tough decision :(

I know that when Kermit used to fall over through him having his head tilt it was rather distressing so I know how bad it can look when they can't get back up. Is he ok for the rest of the time? I mean, if he falls over a couple of times then that is ok, but when it started to be a lot then I think I would question things. If he is happy more of the time than sad / falling over then I would be happy just treating him.

I said goodbye to my beautiful Totti this morning, the humane way. The infection had spread to his middle ear and he couldn't right himself :cry: He was falling all over the place and clearly had balance issues. :cry: I made the appointment yesterday as I wanted to spend some last time with him. So he stayed in a basket all propped up with stuff to make him comfy on my bed last night. I syringed him water as he couldn't drink any :cry: . I had little sleep but it was worth it and I knew this morning I had to do the decent thing by him and stop his suffering.

Both Vets agreed it was right as he was very poorly and he went quickly.

I will write a tribute to my uber special boy - that may take a while as I have 10 1/2 years of precious memories with him x

Oh, I'm so sorry :(
Huge hugs coming your way.
Squidgy was like that at the end, and we knew it was time and the kindest thing to do, but it doesn't make it any easier.
xxxx

So sorry Jill, you fought long and hard for your little old man and when the time came, you helped him cross the bridge with that final act of love. Big hugs x x x

I'm sorry I haven't seen this thread until now. What a brave little fighter he was. You did everything you could to keep him happy and comfortable. I'm so sorry :cry: Binky free Totti xx

Back