• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear Mites

Helf_for_ant

Young Bun
I have 8 bunnies in total including 2 giants the female of the pair Shannon keeps getting ear mites I've changed the hay and straw that I use to several different types but shes the only one that gets them, she hates ear drops so this time are taking her brother Shamus to be neutered I spoke to my vet and asked for her advise on any other treatment that I could use on her as she gets so worked up with the drops. I've been given 3 x pipettes of spot on due to her size I guess to put on her behind her ears.

But my main question is one has anyone ever used this method of spot on before and if so has it worked and last question why is she the only one to get them out of 8 when the others all have the same bedding

Cheers

My rabbit has had problems with ear mites too in the past, it was really strange as it was just her and her right ear only. I got given some spot on which didn't work, she had to go back and I said the spot on didn't work and she got given an injection to get rid of the mites which needed a follow up one in ten days and that got rid of them :) You'll need to do a thorough clean of your rabbits living area ad replace the bedding as ear mites can be hard to get rid of, they were a nightmare with Beano. Best wishes with your bunny xx

I've used Xeno, prescribed by my vet, for mites. That was a spot on treatment. It wasn't just in the ear so I'm not sure if it's the same. My bun had them on her back and her ears. But it worked really well. She had one lot of three pipettes because she's so big and then another lot two weeks later.

Cheers for the advice

Shannon is the same she only has them in her right ear I've applied the spot on so will give that time to work and fingers crossed it does if not I'll ask about the injection as I'd rather not take her down the drops stage as she does stress herself out so much that she got to the stage she'd see me coming with the bottle and do a runner up the garden lol bless her. Can you remember the name of the injection Liz??

Drop wise thats the same that i've been given her weight is 6.6kg but they haven't said anything on her having another batch I must admit I got given no instructions or details just 3 pipettes in a plain white box if it wasn't for me asking where to put it I wasn't going to be told. So not very good

Thanks x

Last edited:
I can't remember the name but I have it written down on the reciept which I keep in my bunny health and records folder so will have a look for you once I've finished my tea! :)

I'm just back from the vets with cheeky. She has mites and has just had her first lot of xeno (3 pipettes) and goes back in 2 weeks for next check.If that doesn't work then she'll get the jab. Think it's called ivermectin. Shuette posted a very informative thread about this about 2 weeks ago. My other 2 buns are totally unaffected :shock: Seem to be a popular ailment at the moment :)

Last edited:
I'm just back from the vets with cheeky. She has mites and has just had her first lot of xeno (3 pipettes) and goes back in 2 weeks for next check.If that doesn't work then she'll get the jab. Think it's called ivermectin. Shuette posted a very informative thread about this about 2 weeks ago. My other 2 buns are totally unaffected :shock: Seem to be a popular ailment at the moment :)

That's the one I think! :)

Cheers for that guys really helpful least now if it doesn't work I know what to ask for as they said that if the spot on didn't work we would have to go back to drops and I thought there must be some other treatment

Back