Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: splitting pairs? Rescue question

Default splitting pairs? Rescue question

If you took in 2 bunnies that are of the same sex would you split them straight away or if they had been living together for a year would you keep them together unless they fought or still not take the risk?

We spotted a lovely lil girl bun looking for a home as her family are emigrating and she cant go but shes advertised with another female bunny and I dont want to be the horrible person to split up friends.
    Would you rehome together or split them straight away?

Not just a Rabbit...

www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

Quote Originally Posted by winnies angel View Post
    If you took in 2 bunnies that are of the same sex would you split them straight away or if they had been living together for a year would you keep them together unless they fought or still not take the risk?

We spotted a lovely lil girl bun looking for a home as her family are emigrating and she cant go but shes advertised with another female bunny and I dont want to be the horrible person to split up friends.
    Would you rehome together or split them straight away?
    We never split pairs unless they are fighting. We have male pairs and female pairs - infact once we had a pair of 5 year old males who weren't neutered and they stayed together (we got them neutered).

We don't agree with splitting bonded pairs.
    Furry Friends Animal Rescue. Surrey.

Find us on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/animalrescue2

Follow us on Twitter!
    http://twitter.com/FurryFriendsAni

Or visit our website
    www.furryfriendsrescue.co.uk

Read my pet blog;
    www.thehouseofanimals.com

If they are long term friends and girls I'd probably keep them together. Could you get them spayed fairly soon?
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

In the situation you have described, I would not separate them assuming that they are properly bonded. I think it would be most unkind to separate friends. Even if the one you took gets rebonded, what about the other one? One minute, happily living her life with her friend, the next minute it has not only moved house, but has lost her friend too

I would only split a bonded pair if they were fighting or it became obvious that the pair wasn't happy together. Most rescues would take the same approach although I do know of a few who do separate same sex pairs - but I guess the difference is that they know that they will rehome them both with a partner of the opposite sex, hopefully sooner rather than later. Whereas in your situation, the future of the other bun would be very uncertain and she could end up a very lonely, unhappy little lass
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

I wont metion which rescue it is but thats what I felt. I dont want this little girl to be seperated from her friend and I certainly dont want the other to think she isnt good enough. Then if the girl we took didn't get along with Jack and went back when she could have been with her friend.
    I even said in my first email that it said they were a pair in a foster home but then I was told she isnt a pair and they dont receive her untill sat? confusing. But if Im interested in her then shell get her neutered straight away this week.
    I dont want to mess the bunny or rescue about but I'm not wanting to be the one to break up friends unless there was a problem.Poor bunnies

Not just a Rabbit...

www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

Quote Originally Posted by demons_soul View Post
    We never split pairs unless they are fighting. We have male pairs and female pairs - infact once we had a pair of 5 year old males who weren't neutered and they stayed together (we got them neutered).

This.

As neither Reuben and Razzle (brothers) had no interest in them 4 weeks after coming here, they were kept together and will be rehomed together.

You have to think what is best for the rabbits, not for rehoming.
    Starlight's Animal Boarding
    A Home Away From Home For Your Furry Little Friends
    Tel: 07810341925/Email: starlightsanimalboarding@hotmail.co.uk

10% of all bookings are donated to our local rescue- Cuddly Critters!

Quote Originally Posted by StarlightsRabbitRescue View Post
    This.

As neither Reuben and Razzle (brothers) had no interest in them 4 weeks after coming here, they were kept together and will be rehomed together.

You have to think what is best for the rabbits, not for rehoming.

not quite getting it so if someone showed interest in one bun and not the other you think its ok to split, is that what you meant but because no-one did you kept them together.

It wasn't having a go at anyone just interested in how others work and obv at end of day the buns are whats important. But I would always be thinking about frined if we took one and not the other, ahhh

Not just a Rabbit...

www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

They came in as a litter of babies.
    One had interest straight away, and the other two didn't and developed their own bond, so I kept them together and sent them in for castration together.
    Starlight's Animal Boarding
    A Home Away From Home For Your Furry Little Friends
    Tel: 07810341925/Email: starlightsanimalboarding@hotmail.co.uk

10% of all bookings are donated to our local rescue- Cuddly Critters!

Quote Originally Posted by demons_soul View Post

Totally agree and that's how we work, we never, ever split a bonded pair, I know of rescues that do it and I think it's totally cruel

NEW friendly Rabbit Forum for over 16's

http://rabbitrendezvous.co.uk/

Wise Old Thumper Bavarian Bunny's Avatar

It depends on the pair. If they've been living together for a while and show proper signs of bonding like mutual grooming and snuggling up together, then I would not separate a pair, even if it meant they had to wait for a new home for longer.
    I've had a pair of sisters before, and also a mother with two daughters, and they were just about tolerating each other, and one was a lot more dominant than the other(s). Plus the trio were quite scared and nervous, so in that case it sometimes helps to split them up and find a calm and confident partner for each of them.