• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poss treatment for buns with coccidia?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
have been searching around the internet for different doses of different things to kill instead of control to give a rabbits immune system to make the right antibodies.

for chickens theres even a vaccination for it!!

some countries are using baycox with ivermectin...!!?

One expert in the states is using baycox and ponazuril !?

------------------------------

The traditional medications are called "coccidostats" meaning that they interfere with coccidian reproduction. Coccidia are not killed by these medications but the cessation of reproduction buys time for the host's own immune system to respond and have fewer organisms to defeat. The host depends on a competant immune system to cure the infection and the time required to remove the infection is highly dependent on the number of organisms already present when treatment begins.

Ponazuril represents a new approach to treatment. Ponazuril actually kills the coccidia which makes for a faster response to treatment and shorter course of therapy.
----------------------------------------------------------

also the mix of panacur and ponzaruril has been effective to treat EC
and coccidiosis

Our vets dose Panacur at 20mg/kg once per day, and ponazuril at 20-50mg/kg once per day, using it 7 days for coccidiosis, and 30 days for E. cuniculi.
dana krempel.
-----------------------------------------------------------

this is used in dogs.....i wonder if any papers have been written about use perhaps for rabbits?

Treating Coccidiosis with Diclazuril

Diclazuril is a benzeneacetonitrile derivative that is often used as an oral suspension medication. It has been reported that scientists don't exactly know why this medicine is so successful at treating coccidiosis, as it doesn't kill the actual protozoa, but they have seen that it doesn't allow dogs to shed parasitic eggs when infected. Therefore, the cycle of the parasitic colony living within a dog eventually comes to a stop. The use of this medication can also reduce the amount of intestinal lesions that the protozoa parasites may cause in a dog.

---------------------------------------------------

Anti-coccidiostats (ACS) are drugs included in some rabbit foods that suppress (not cure) intestinal coccidiosis, and don't work on hepatic cocci at all. Overwhelming coccidiosis infection can develop if animals are changed onto non-ACS food, because the coccidiosis can then multiply uncontrolled. Fanciers using ACS pellets as part of a home-mixed ration will be feeding ineffective concentrations anyway. ACS foods are fine as the sole diet of commercial rabbits with a limited lifespan, but for fancy and pet rabbits they cause more problems than they solve and are not recommended. Instead of continuous low-dose ACS drugs in the feed, there may be benefit from using a more potent anti-coccidial drug two or more times a year. Discuss with your vet.

-------------------------------------------------------------

its hard because its hepatic coccidia.........:?

:( oh common guys...im not having another ignore my thread day am i?

just wondered if those whod attended the lectures etc had heard of these ideas/treatments as opposed to sulfa based treatments or baycox alone?

My understanding (which could well be incorrect!) is that ponazuril is one of the metabolites of toltrazuril (baycox) so it's pretty much the same as giving toltrazuril because that's what it is metabolised to anyway?

I have only really heard toltrazuril being advocated - with it specifically being emphasised that the doses in the FHB book are incorrect and when given at the correct dose it is effective without the side-effects reported at higher doses.

thank you......

yes my vet used the lower dose of baycox.....but bluebells still shedding oocytes BUT the lab say they cannot tell if its the one type of emiriae (ive mispelt it i know.....please forgive that!) thats the one that causes hepatic coccidiosis..or the several that cause the intestinal ones:?

and yes me being a numptey..the rabbits cannot infect themselves by eating their cecals..or even their own poops..until those poops are 48hrs old..it takes that long to be infective:shock:

hopefully i can get hold of one of our vets tomorrow to ask if theyve got richard saunders to get back to them.

Back