• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The hutch I won is set up ! *pic heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has said she will be attatching a run, which means a 6x3ft hutch with a big run will meet the minimum recomendations.
That is a type of 6ft hutch, not all hutches are raised off the ground, you get hutches with runs underneath that are on to the ground.
If you read what the runaround person said, they said that there are things to cover up the sides. Again, all people are doing are picking out the bad things without giving any advice at all. It would be much more polite if you said, I don't think it is suitable because it is not large enough, you must attatch a run to make it meet the minimum size recomedations and you should try to cover up some of the sides so it has more protection from the elements.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'm going to repeat what I said earlier....it's not a hutch!!

Congratulation on winning the hutch Charlotte :wave:

AS you have said they aren't in the hutch much,they have another run and free range time in the day and you are looking at extending this hutch when you can afford it with the extras from runaround is that right?

I'm sorry you're upset - the only threads that develop into 2 pages so quickly on here lately are unfortunately the ones where people are often having a go/being negative/making the use of free speech or whatever they want to call it.i'm sure you will do what you can when you can.

Such a shame Ru jumps on everyone so much these days it really is

hanks to all the people who have mdae some good and helpful comments. And thanks to all the others who have actually made me cry. Thanks for that.

I actually read an article the other week saying that rabbits feel secure and safe in a nice snuggly hutch,I am sure that Charlotte will have them out of the hutch/run to play and cuddle and she will be adding to it,so many bunnies are left abandoned at the end of the garden in a filthy hutch,no food,no water,no companionship,or human love,just forgotten about,by children and adults,these 2 bunnies have all those things,well done charlotte:wave:

I thought that it was massive too :lol: Beano's is also very large and she is spayed, I was having a look round the RSPCA website and on the happy ending pages I saw Penny and Russel! If she came from the RSPCA I would've thought she is spayed? xx

You'd assume so yes, just blew me away. :lol: Massive.. quite envious of her set actually :lol:.

Though the hutch is 6ft by 3ft; I wouldn't include the mesh part with no base or walls as part of the hutch, more like one of those hutches with one of those runs at the bottom sort of things. :(

Personally I think it's too small based on the size of the rabbits. Maybe it is 6x3 or whatever but it doesn't look big enough for that pair. Maybe they are large rabbits?

Maybe they do like a cosy and snuggly hutch but IMO it needs to be within a larger area. I regularly find mine hidden under the table or chairs but they have an option of a much bigger area which they look tiny in. I'm afraid Penny and Russel look rather big in that area. That's what I personally base it on, rather than the measurements.

I'm sorry you're upset, sometimes the truth hurts or is negative but look at it in a positive way. Maybe you can erect a shed and put that within it with a ramp to one side.

Personally I think it's too small based on the size of the rabbits. Maybe it is 6x3 or whatever but it doesn't look big enough for that pair. Maybe they are large rabbits?

Maybe they do like a cosy and snuggly hutch but IMO it needs to be within a larger area. I regularly find mine hidden under the table or chairs but they have an option of a much bigger area which they look tiny in. I'm afraid Penny and Russel look rather big in that area. That's what I personally base it on, rather than the measurements.

I'm sorry you're upset, sometimes the truth hurts or is negative but look at it in a positive way. Maybe you can erect a shed and put that within it with a ramp to one side.
Thanks :) they are not big rabbit they are a dutch and a dwarf lop :)

hanks to all the people who have mdae some good and helpful comments. And thanks to all the others who have actually made me cry. Thanks for that.

Please don't be upset. Nobody has tried to be rude or upset you, people were merely pointing out that because it does not have 3 solid sides it cannot be considered a hutch and unfortuantly not considered big enough. Most have commented on how pretty it looks and how it would be very good if only it was slightly larger. :)

I don't think any one who commented on the size were trying to be mean or hurtful they were just stating there valid opinion which they have the right to post when you start a thread :?

As you have mentioned you have got them a bigger hutch, but I am sure that if you have made this decision on the threads of RU you must of known that the recommended size is 6x2, with an attached run.

However I do think people have been a bit blunt, and frankly rude, I do agree with the fact that the hutch is a bit small, but maybe you could attach there old hutch onto their new one?:)

Please don't feel upset or offended by this, I was just saying my opinion.

As always you are the owner and you know what is best for your buns!

Ash&Crystal :)

Hi, we would just like to point out that as sponsors of this competition we were bound to follow the winning design as closely as possible. We have a 3 sided canvas cover that would fit around the sides of the run part to make it an enclosed space if Charlotte would like that. Also, I hope you took the runaround burrow pipe with you, Charlotte, so you can make further connections to any run or hutch you already own?

Could you do anything to help, with regard to suggestions made by other members, with new designs there are always 'snags', even the best designers and builders accept that 'snags' will be discovered in use.

Nobody on this thread has been rude or unhelpful Charlotte, they are just saying that the hutch your rabbits are living in is not suitable and doesn't meet RSPCA guidelines.

I agree with everyone else, it's not big enough but I hope you can board up the hutch and add a big run - this would make it a good setup.

Charlotte if you come onto a forum you have to accept people may not always give the nice happy replies, I had that when I first joined over three years ago but people are trying to help.

The size itself if you measured around it isnt the size they really have because they are not protected from the wind and the rain and the top bit ist great because if they were frightened they wouldnt be able to bold out quickly and could end up running into the mesh (from experience hun, my rabbit was ina massive run and got scared and ran into the mesh and hurt herself)

The space inside is very small and it just isnt suitable at all im afraid, and while I apriciate you may not be able to go out and just get a new hutch straight away, please try and improve this set up by getting another hutch at the soonest time you can.

A dwarf lop isnt a small bunny, and these bunnies cant stretch out without being on the concrete which can cause them problems in the long run.

I am only trying to help you, and I am being nice - if something isnt right im sure you would prefer us to say if in the long run it helps your bunnies who you clearly love?
xx

Charlotte, please don't be upset. It's an absolutely wonderful design. I especially love the flower part into the house area. You posted a thread which means you will have comments. Some comments have verged on the side of rude, others have tried to put what they think of the hutch in as nice a way as possible.

My first honest thoughts were (and this was before reading anyone elses comments):

Woah. The rabbits look really big in there. I too wondered if they were large breed rabbits as for smallish breeds that hutch for some reason doesn't look 6x3. I tried to imagine seeing them in the "run area" and I thought they'd be really cramped. Certainly no room to have a decent binky nevermind a "Run".

Just because you're an established memeber doesn't mean you should be treated differently to newbies who would also be told the exact same thing: the accomodation is too small for your buns. No one is interested in upsetting you hun, they are only interested in the rabbits welfare. And I think perhaps you might do well to listen to comments rather than only being concerned about your own feelings. Try to look past being upset, and realise everyone is only giving you honest advice.

While I agree, everyone should be as tactful as poss about how they speak to others (after all, this may be a rabbit forum but you are discussing rabbits with other people ) we should not be afraid to speak up for a rabbits welfare for fear of upsetting someones feelings.

P.S Do you mind if I ask whats happening with the dewlap on one of the buns? Is she able to reach her bottom for eating her poos? (Sorry, for some reason I can not even spell the proper word atm :lol:) It may be worth checking that out at vets; I've never seen one so big even on an unneutured doe.:)

Last edited:
Thank you . I think that some people dont understand that this isnt their run aswell, they have a seoerate run aswell which they will be in all day . If people really want to look out for rabbit welfare then why dont they target someone who has rabbits in a dirty 3ft hutch in the bottom of the garden and not someone who would do anything for there buns and spoils them . Thanks. Now can we leave the posts here then .

Thank you . I think that some people dont understand that this isnt their run aswell, they have a seoerate run aswell which they will be in all day . If people really want to look out for rabbit welfare then why dont they target someone who has rabbits in a dirty 3ft hutch in the bottom of the garden and not someone who would do anything for there buns and spoils them . Thanks. Now can we leave the posts here then .

I gathered that from your posts and its good they have a seperate run, but if you look at it just as a hutch and not as a hutch run combo it is still too small and that is fact.

Rabbit welfare isnt just about rabbits in the middle of obvious cruelty and neglect, its about helping all rabbits have a better life.

If you would do anything for them - i would improve their hutch and i am sorry if that looks blunt, I think you seem very nice and clearly love them, but love isnt enough.

If you imagine your comment about a 3 ft hutch and measure the interior box part, and think that is all they have to keep warm in throughout the cold weather - surely you can see that that isnt right?

You cant put a post on and when you dont like whats being said, ask people to stop commenting - it isnt going to happen.

I am trying to be nice, but you have to meet us halfway too

Could you not maybe buy a 6ft by 2ft hutch, with attached 6ft by 4ft run with an opening to conjoin this too and use it as a hide away?

I know you'll have a run too, but the hutch itself is not 6ft by 3ft, more like 3ft by 3ft, and it's not big enough :( xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back