Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artificial grass?

Default Artificial grass?

Is artificial grass safe to use for bunny on a concrete run?
    I don't have any real grass.

DO you mean like astro turf?

If so, i'd guess not, as its very hard and abbrasive and would hurt bunny feet.

Could you buy a couple of squares of turf or something, to allow a 'grassy' area?

My rabbits spend most of their time on concrete (for safety's sake I only put them on the grass when I'm home), they don't seem to mind. I would worry about rabbits chewing artificial grass.

Can you grow some seed trays of grass to put into the run, rotating them as necessary?

Hannah
    Caspian sends his

Barley & Floss's Blog!!

Mmmm. I had wondered about the chewing thing.

My last 2 bunnies lived quite happily on thier concrete run but I did always worry about arthritis........I wonder if bunnies get that!

Yes...I could grow some trays I suppose......might be a little difficult to buy just a couple of pieces of turf

Quote Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post

My last 2 bunnies lived quite happily on thier concrete run but I did always worry about arthritis........I wonder if bunnies get that!

Yes...I could grow some trays I suppose......might be a little difficult to buy just a couple of pieces of turf
    Bunnies can get arthritis A few members here have bunnies with it.

Re the turf, might be worth asking any local places if they have any 'off cuts' if you see where im coming from, left over froma job or something perhaps?

Either that, or some places sell seed so you can buy as much or as little as you like!

Hannah
    Caspian sends his

Barley & Floss's Blog!!

New Kit

Default No grass in your Garden? Try making one of these......

Our GArden has no grass , it's all brick, slabs, gravel....... go to this album I made on my facebook...I have made this album avail to public so you don't have to be on my friends list.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=205e9e9b7a click or copy and paste into browser

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetguy View Post
    Our GArden has no grass , it's all brick, slabs, gravel....... go to this album I made on my facebook...I have made this album avail to public so you don't have to be on my friends list.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=205e9e9b7a click or copy and paste into browser
    That looks really great.

Flora and Parsnip have astro-turf covering the concrete slabs in their kennel/run. Fortunately for me, they never chew anything so I'm fairly confident they won't touch it (they've not to date anyway). I found that they were slipping on the slabs as they aged and lost muscle tone and needed something that they could easily grip when they hopped around. But it had to be something weatherproof as the run is open to the elements on one side (it's a bespoke kennel and run). I was lucky and found an offcut in B&Q - it's the really short stuff that you tend to find in greengrocer stores. I paid 20 for it and it's around 5 ft by 15ft.

ETA - I wouldn't get the 'posh' artifical grass because it's too long and would be way too tempting for a bunny to nibble. But I think you're OK with the really short stuff, as long as your bunnies are not chewers.
    Last edited by Mackers; 15-11-2011 at 12:42 PM.

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Is artificial grass safe to use for bunny on a concrete run?
    I don't have any real grass.
    yes it is safe for rabbits