Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Free-Range Houseproofing Experts

Default Indoor Free-Range Houseproofing Experts

Can i get a little advice please?

I have 3 areas i need to bunny proof better than they currently are;

a) Sofa

The gap under the sofa is easily Biscuit sized. The gap to the right, where the Heroes Tin is scares Biscuit but not Ginger off.

b) TV Area

Almost need to barricade the TV cabinet off, as so many cables, but want it to look good and presentable and still be accessible easily

c) Table/Lamp Area

The overhang of the sofa arm means i can't block it off too high, which isn't too bad, but means currently i have to block the whole area off, as i can't protect it easily Again, cables behind sofa for lamp and digital photoframe (damaged by bunny chewing )

Pen panels are okay, but i have to move everything around and as it is a 'living room' i'd like to not have to keep moving things each time i want them let out etc. So i'd rather bunny proof. Thinking NIC panels?

Thing is, rented properly, so it can't be anything too 'permanent' as i'll have to take it out when we move. So please keep that in mind.

Any ideas greatfully received!

Gray

I put a piece of cardboard at the back of my tv unit so the wires are behind it and they can't get to it via the shelf
    Owned by....

Hi Gray
    We have covered all of our wires in conduit (think thats what its called, oh is a sparky!) so they are completely protected AND looks neat and tidy, no intrusive blocking off of anywhere

Not sure about behind the sofa, mine have foiled every attempt Ive made to block them from going behind there
    Gemma, mum to;

My beautiful Tilly left me for the bridge 11/01/2010. I love and miss her every single day. Sweet dreams precious girl, lifes not the same without you xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our telly area is protected very attractively with an opened out puppy pen!

Warren Veteran

I bought hard plastic tubing and put all wires and cords inside the tubing. It is a lot of work but once it is done it is protected and looks tidy. The tubing comes in different colors so blends in and isn't every noticeable. As far as keeping Julie out from behind the sofa that has proved impossible. She can remove anything that I used as a blockage but it isn't a problem now that the cords are protected behind the couch. She loves to run and sleeps back there as if it were a big tunnel.

Warren Scout

I've put some big cushions ( more like bolsters ) either end of my sofa. I've used the twirly plastic cable tidys ( pushed up tight ) to stop Tobes having a go at the wires.

Wise Old Thumper

NIC Grids to the rescue!
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Sofa is tricky - that's a new one we have to deal with as we've just got two new Ikea sofas which are easily big enough for buns to crawl underneath! Very stoopid of us! The old sofa we just got rid of even the hamster couldn't crawl under.

We have two ideas for this - the first was that Mr PL was going to use wooden batons screwed to the inside of the frame to basically drop the frame to floor level and prevent access underneath - however, we are pushed for time and so we are going to try MY idea first... which is cheap thick duvet underneath. The test will be whether Poppy digs and chews and pulls it out, or just ignores it.
    Poppy always hides behind the sofa at bedtime which was fine when she couldn't get under it but now she hides behind AND under it and hide and seek goes on for hours which is just ridiculous and needs to be stopped NOW!

To be honest with everything else we just tend to keep stuff off the floor and use rigid plastic cable wrap around cables - if the plug is accessible we use insulation tape to secure the cable wrap to the plug so there is nothing to chew, cable ties to tie cables up off the floor and minimal floor furniture. We're lucky really as ours just don't really bother getting into trouble or chewing anything, the only probs we have is Poppy hiding at bedtime in inaccessible places.

Good luck with it all

I use cushions to stop my bun goin under the sofa

Warren Scout

I think I should be describing the cable tidys as spiral & not twirly. I got mine from Maplins - they have different gages for the different wire diameters.