• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat peanuts?

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Just gone out to give my bunnies their tea and the wild birds peanuts are on the floor!! Would they have had a nose through and eaten them? Are they poisonous to rabbits? They are eating their tea okay. I'm abit worried!!

I think theyre okay my bun has had a few and been fine. Fattening though so not for a regular treat.

I thought they should stay away from all nuts and seeds? I'm prob wrong though. I've never found out for sure and therefore never tried.

I guess they seem to be ok though? Then, it's prob ok. :)

Peanuts are one of those things that you shouldn't feed due to them being high in calories plus changes in foods in high-ish quantities can upset the balance of the gut flora blah blah blah. However, a peanut or 2 by mistake isn't going to kill them, just try not to make it a regular thing and they will be absolutely fine

once i was eating macadamia and my bun curiously sniffed about so i made him try a half, and he absolutely loved it!

now he goes crazy when i open a fresh can of macadamia.. though he's only limited to a half nut each time, bec of the ridiculous high content of fat, but yes, he's also nibbled on a peanut or 2, lol!

Well, Sam wouldnt eat his breakfast this morning. Hes been up to the vets and she said his tummy feels quite gasey and bubbly. Hes had an injection to get his stomach moving again and I've got to syringe feed him every hour or so(?).
Dont know how many he munched through but I think its upset his tummy. Amber and Elvis who live with Sam seem to be okay. Maybe Sam was just greedy!!
Hopefully he'll start eating again soon.

Bunnies should NOT eat nuts of any kind, but a small accident won't poison them.
They are far too high in oil & protein for their gut to digest them, & they can also destabilise the delicate balance of gut micro organisms needed to digest their food properly.

Just gone out to give my bunnies their tea and the wild birds peanuts are on the floor!! Would they have had a nose through and eaten them? Are they poisonous to rabbits? They are eating their tea okay. I'm abit worried!!

I know this question was asked three years ago but I'm glad it was :) The responses have set my mind at rest.

My big, beautiful English buck, Ollie, died very, very suddenly two weeks ago. There was nothing wrong with him but shortly after a brief thunderstorm he hopped out from under my desk, stopped, hunched up and no more than two minutes later had died! He was only two and a half :cry:

He'd been to the vet to hold his flatmate's hand because she needed to go, so the vet had seen him and knew Ollie was fine. When we spoke to him later, he said it was "bizarre" and could no more understand why Ollie had died than we could.

Then, yesterday, Sahara, our blind Syrian hamster, was eating some peanuts (unsalted and unroasted) on my mouse mat and dropped one off the edge of my desk which I picked up. It made me wonder if rabbits could have an anaphylactic shock to peanuts, in case I'd missed one Sahara had dropped and Ollie had found and eaten it. Hence my being relieved to find peanuts aren't likely to have been the cause.

We still don't know why Ollie died. Very sadly his flatmate, Anna, died five days later, a week shy of her third birthday. She'd been responding to treatment but there's nothing you can do for a broken heart :cry:

(Sorry if I haven't go this quite right. It's my first post here.)

Charani

Hope Sam is ok & back to his normal self soon. Some buns do seem more sensitive to foods & even the smallest amounts upset them. Lots of vibes x

I know this question was asked three years ago but I'm glad it was :) The responses have set my mind at rest.

My big, beautiful English buck, Ollie, died very, very suddenly two weeks ago. There was nothing wrong with him but shortly after a brief thunderstorm he hopped out from under my desk, stopped, hunched up and no more than two minutes later had died! He was only two and a half :cry:

He'd been to the vet to hold his flatmate's hand because she needed to go, so the vet had seen him and knew Ollie was fine. When we spoke to him later, he said it was "bizarre" and could no more understand why Ollie had died than we could.

Then, yesterday, Sahara, our blind Syrian hamster, was eating some peanuts (unsalted and unroasted) on my mouse mat and dropped one off the edge of my desk which I picked up. It made me wonder if rabbits could have an anaphylactic shock to peanuts, in case I'd missed one Sahara had dropped and Ollie had found and eaten it. Hence my being relieved to find peanuts aren't likely to have been the cause.

We still don't know why Ollie died. Very sadly his flatmate, Anna, died five days later, a week shy of her third birthday. She'd been responding to treatment but there's nothing you can do for a broken heart :cry:

(Sorry if I haven't go this quite right. It's my first post here.)

Charani

So sorry to hear of your losses. Sounds like it might have been a heart attack or something, given the fast death.

Welcome to the forum.

Charani - sorry to hear about your two rabbits passing so young & so close together like that, so sad.

Back