• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much food should a rabbit eat a day?

stranger23

Mama Doe
Ive recently got a feeding cup so i know my rabbits are getting the right amount of food but how much food do they need a day? ive got 2 netherland bucks, 2 netherland crosses not sure what they are crossed with tho but are larger than a nethie but smaller than a normal rabbit and 2 normal sized rabbits altho i am unsure of there breed, they have all been put onto excel pellets but i dont know how much each rabbit should be getting a day the nethies and the 2 normal rabbits also get veg in the evening but the 2 nethie crosses are just starting to have nibbles of veg a day

There isn't really a set rule as bunnies have different metabolisms. As a rule of thumb my vets recommend a tablespoon each for normal size adult buns and smaller as the idea is they eat as much hay as possible. However this may need to be adjusted slightly to suit your individual buns needs.

There isn't really a set rule as bunnies have different metabolisms. As a rule of thumb my vets recommend a tablespoon each for normal size adult buns and smaller as the idea is they eat as much hay as possible. However this may need to be adjusted slightly to suit your individual buns needs.

A tablespoon? Honestly? My Pumpkin as she's feeding her kits goes through 2 bowls per day.
Dexie, my male dutch goes through 1 bowl.
My two rescues (who are severely underweight) go through between 1 and 1 and a half bowls per day plus all eat a crazy amount of hay.
None are overweight though and have been fed that amount since I got them :S I simply free feed... give them a bowl a day and they eat what they like. Never had any problems doing it this way as all eat what they want and leave the rest.

a tablespoon??? are you sure...
my rabbit that is nursing has about 1 and a half -2 bowls plus lots of hay....and my other rabbits have 1 bowl and lots of hay....
i dont think a tablespoon is enough

Agree with this. It is recommended that they have an eggcupful of pellets per day. It is, of course, different for bunnies feeding their kits, and for kits themselves. They need to have unlimited hay - the grinding action needed to eat hay is different from that needed to eat pellets and helps to keep their teeth in good condition. Hay is also essential to keep their gut working properly (they need the fibre hay provides). If they 'fill up' on pellets they won't be interested in hay.

sorry i didnt realise there was a diet section, ive not been using this site long and i have the rabbit chat page saved on my pc so it just comes up with the rabbit chat page my partner set it up for me :oops:

a tablespoon??? are you sure...

Yes, I have it in writing from a vet. But as I said its only a guide line. Obviously nursing mothers and rescues who've been neglected are going to need more calories.

If I free fed I would end up with extreamly fat bunnies who never ate hay.

Yes, I have it in writing from a vet. But as I said its only a guide line. Obviously nursing mothers and rescues who've been neglected are going to need more calories.

If I free fed I would end up with extreamly fat bunnies who never ate hay.

^^This.

The vet who is treating Ginger very much says exactly that Amy.

sorry i didnt realise there was a diet section, ive not been using this site long and i have the rabbit chat page saved on my pc so it just comes up with the rabbit chat page my partner set it up for me :oops:

Sorry - I didn't mean it is a criticism. It's just that it might bring more responses if it's posted in that section.:oops:

oh gosh i never knew that...my rabbits dont eat once they are full though and prefer the hay over the pellets anyway

oh gosh i never knew that...my rabbits dont eat once they are full though and prefer the hay over the pellets anyway

Can I have your bunnies? Mine would eat and eat and eat pellets all day long if they were given the choice.

really....well havinging said that only my lionheads stop eating when they are full and prefer the hay..my dutch rabbits prefer the pellets so i limit their pellets to 1 bowl or else they would just eat and eat and eat...them 2 are little piggies. lol

I got shot down on a previous thread when I mentioned what I fed my buns so my advice is just provide the right amount that encourages them to eat hay more. I started out with an egg cup full for both buns, ive increased it to 2 eggcup full for my male & half an egg cup for my female as she was getting a little chubby! :lol: Both go through alot of hay, healthy weight, golden poos & glossy coats. :D

Just see what suits your bun. :wave:

really i just thought my other 2 were bbeing greedy and that rabbits stop eating when they are full....strange lol i must have great rabbits :D

I got shot down on a previous thread when I mentioned what I fed my buns so my advice is just provide the right amount that encourages them to eat hay more. I started out with an egg cup full for both buns, ive increased it to 2 eggcup full for my male & half an egg cup for my female as she was getting a little chubby! :lol: Both go through alot of hay, healthy weight, golden poos & glossy coats. :D

Just see what suits your bun. :wave:

B&G have ~2 1/2 'eggcups' per day. Any less and i'd have two very skinny buns.

As Amy says, its very much down to what you need to keep your bun healthy and a good hay nommer.

Hi Btw Jenny :wave: :D

Sorry, i didnt mean to question anyone, was more of a shock reply. My Dexie chooses hay over pellets especially now we've changed it over :s so shall definetely cut his down! Shall leave Pumpkin as she is until the kits are weaned and then drop her food down too. Will also leave the rescues as they are...
Gosh, this just may save me a fortune in pellets bills! I go through a large bag per week! Although, i quite easily go through a 3kg bag of hay per week aswell plus veg :s

Thanks so much for bringing this to light!!!!

Xxx

I got shot down on a previous thread when I mentioned what I fed my buns so my advice is just provide the right amount that encourages them to eat hay more. I started out with an egg cup full for both buns, ive increased it to 2 eggcup full for my male & half an egg cup for my female as she was getting a little chubby! Both go through alot of hay, healthy weight, golden poos & glossy coats.

I think the trouble is that people take advice to literally sometimes and forget it is just that, advice, and that if it doesn't work for you then you have to use your common sense. I think people see things written down and take it for gospel sometimes, or read it wrong etc. I spend ages thinking about how to word my posts so they aren't misinterpreted.

As you so rightly pointed out some bunnies go the other way and are completely intolerant to them. I'm sure there are a few members who feed none at all.

Last edited:
Back