• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasteurella

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me any information on the above please?

Ginger's been diagnosed with it and i dont know much about it so if you have any resources as in web sites etc, could you link me to them please?

Gray

There is loads of info on the internet re. Pasteurella in rabbits. Here are a few links:

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/care/pasteurella.html

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/pasteurella_multocida.htm

It's not just snuffles...Pasteurella can cause abscesses and infections anywhere in the body. One of my pasteurella buns had head tilt and pustulles on his willy! :)shock: ). So you need to keep a close eye on pasteurella buns

There is loads of info on the internet re. Pasteurella in rabbits. Here are a few links:

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/care/pasteurella.html

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/pasteurella_multocida.htm

It's not just snuffles...Pasteurella can cause abscesses and infections anywhere in the body. One of my pasteurella buns had head tilt and pustulles on his willy! :)shock: ). So you need to keep a close eye on pasteurella buns

Yeah i just read the 2nd link Jane posted and now feel rather ill!

Ginger gets an extra close eye on her anyway :wave: for other reasons.

Thanks for all those abbymarysmokey (and for gawd sake, if i type MONKEY once more whilst typing out your name...:lol:) :)

I'm keeping an eye on this thread and reading those articles cos Nutmeg is a pasteurella bunny and I'm wondering if Mischa is now too.

G! Hope bun feels better soon, R & O send their love as usual! :love:

p.s to cheer you up, ive uploaded more pics of my 2...since I rarely upload on here!

Pasturella can survive on your hands, clothing etc for weeks at a time, it can cause infection almost anywhere. Many buns are pasturella buns because they carry it.

The difference with active pasturella or pasturellosis is that it is causing problems such as eye problems, snuffles, etc and infection is apparent and requiring treatment.

What symptoms does your bunny have graham? Lots of vibes xx

P.s People keep pasturella and non pasturella buns together without problems in many cases. Varying views on the matter.

I expect Graham won't be online until tomorrow now. AFAIK Ginger gets discharge from her nose and very severe bouts of sneezing.

Hi Graham,

I'm sorry to hear that Ginger is unwell. I thought I'd let you know my recent experience of Pasturella as it might put you at ease a little. One of my bunnies was diagnosed with pasturella a week after I adopted her from a rescue centre - her symptoms were sneezing fits, clear and sticky discharge frome the nose. At first the vet gave me antibiotics to syringe into her mouth each day for a week. This was an impossible task as she is a very nervous little girl and I couldn't get the syringe into her mouth no matter how hard I tried. Anyway, to cut a long story short..the vet eventually decided to give her antibiotic injections over a course of 3 weeks and she seems to be fine now. She was still sneezing up to her very last injection and then it suddenly stopped.

Jets pasturella was probably brought on from the stress of being bonded (even though it was done very well and professionally by the rescue centre) and then put in a new environment. Now that she has settled in she seems a very happy, healthy bunny.

I know how terrifying it can be to hear that your bunny has pasturella it's a word that all rabbit owners never want to hear. I was an emotional wreck for over a month until Jet finally recovered but even now i'm still worried it might come back or that my boy bunnie may get it. I found that reading all the scary stories on the internet mad my state on mind even worse so advoid it if you can. I know how hard it is not look these things up as you want to know all the info but sometimes it can cause unneccessary worry. If you want anymore info on my experience please feel free to pm me.

My thoughts are with you.xxx

I expect Graham won't be online until tomorrow now. AFAIK Ginger gets discharge from her nose and very severe bouts of sneezing.

Cheers for the response in absense Schuey :)

Ambience; heavily distressing sneezing bouts (where she'll sharply move her head and have to lay down for 30-40 minutes after a bad bout), very wet nose, 90% clear discharge, 10% 'whitey/yellow' discharge.

She's now on a 6 week course of depocillin + cilomax eye drops. The lady at the lab spoke to my vet and recommended the addition of the eye drops (abx drops) in addition the abx jabs as the assistance of the 'double hit' getting to the relevant areas has seen great success by them.

I'll be updating my 'Vibes for Ginger' thread with more info shortly.

Hi Graham,

I'm sorry to hear that Ginger is unwell. I thought I'd let you know my recent experience of Pasturella as it might put you at ease a little. One of my bunnies was diagnosed with pasturella a week after I adopted her from a rescue centre - her symptoms were sneezing fits, clear and sticky discharge frome the nose. At first the vet gave me antibiotics to syringe into her mouth each day for a week. This was an impossible task as she is a very nervous little girl and I couldn't get the syringe into her mouth no matter how hard I tried. Anyway, to cut a long story short..the vet eventually decided to give her antibiotic injections over a course of 3 weeks and she seems to be fine now. She was still sneezing up to her very last injection and then it suddenly stopped.

Jets pasturella was probably brought on from the stress of being bonded (even though it was done very well and professionally by the rescue centre) and then put in a new environment. Now that she has settled in she seems a very happy, healthy bunny.

I know how terrifying it can be to hear that your bunny has pasturella it's a word that all rabbit owners never want to hear. I was an emotional wreck for over a month until Jet finally recovered but even now i'm still worried it might come back or that my boy bunnie may get it. I found that reading all the scary stories on the internet mad my state on mind even worse so advoid it if you can. I know how hard it is not look these things up as you want to know all the info but sometimes it can cause unneccessary worry. If you want anymore info on my experience please feel free to pm me.

My thoughts are with you.xxx

Ta :)

Fortunately, i've learnt so much from being here on RU that it doesn't 'scare' me as such, just concerns me, as Ginger has possibly other issues we aren't aware of right now due to her history.

Thanks for your post though, i appreciate your thoughts.

So have you started the injections?

I gave her the first one i've done on Friday night, with the vet.

I did 2 test jabs using sterile water and he said i did them perfectly.

Then he let me do the first depocillin one to make sure he was happy with how i was doing it and it went fine :)

I find sometimes I can do them perfectly, sometimes they go wrong. Mainly cos Mischa wants a cuddle. Next time I do one (if I have to do anymore after our vet's appt. this evening) I'm going to try doing it with him on my lap cos he seems to want to get on my lap so maybe there he'll stay still. :roll:

Back